Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,834 Words
  • 1,355 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 26. The Decision

“I don’t see what the problem is. My people need to be taken care of, and if the throne won’t help us recover from the aliens-”

Aaron frowned, standing up. The neko across the table copied his frown, ears folding back warily.

“Lord Nyrin, let’s take a walk,” the elf said conversationally.

The neko rose and followed Aaron out of the room. They walked down the palace halls, Aaron leading him outside.

“You know, this past month has been hard on Astara. We have had our view of the universe destroyed and rewritten in less than a day, and we are still trying to come to terms with it,” Aaron said, walking up a gentle slope.

Stopping at the top, the elf gazed out over the city that was splayed out below.

“Tell me, can you see that tower over to the east?”

Lord Nyrin looked where Aaron was pointing, to a crumbled tower.

“That tower has stood since the 1100s. Its bell used to summon the followers of Lumara to worship. During the Neko Rebellion, it served as a refuge to your people who were in the city, neutral in the war. A piece of history that has fallen to an alien invader.”

Aaron’s hand swept over the city, pointing to the north end of town.

“There is a building down there, at the corner of Wolf and Main Street. It lies in ruins, the rubble only recently cleared. That building was where I spent the first fifteen years of my life as an orphan. And the only reason it is clear of rubble now is because I went down there myself and drew together a group of volunteers to clear it out. It remains in ruin, and will likely stay that way for at least another three months.”

The elf turned to the neko, studying the cat before him. A wealthy neko, one well used to comfort. Aaron didn’t mind; comfort was good. He only hoped the neko was willing to share what he had.

“You might also notice the west wing of the palace is shattered. We only finished cleaning it a week ago, again with me and my mate helping. Astara is in a state of war, Lord Nyrin. I am sure you have heard the calls for increased militarization, or the whispers of corruption reaching me in the form of my mate. I apologise for the state Sarelin is in. But as you can see, my home is struggling to recover. And I have sent what aid I can to your city, and to Mydara, which also lies in ruin. We do not have the resources to do more.”

“And what of the rumours of corruption?” Lord Nyrin demanded.

Feet approached noisily, Aaron glancing over. He smiled at the sight of Mateio in a cloak, the Faro skidding to a stop a few yards away.

“Oh, sorry. I thought you were done,” Mateio panted.

“Lord Nyrin, I would like you to meet my mate, Mateio Estian of Oyhaf.”

Glancing at Aaron curiously, Mateio lowered his hood slightly, revealing his face. Lord Nyrin gasped, stumbling back from the fox.

“It is a pleasure to meet you my lord,” Mateio bowed slightly as Aaron had told him to do once.

“Then the rumours are true! You would turn our planet over to the aliens!”

“I can assure you that is not the plan.”

Aaron walked next to his mate, putting a hand on Mateio’s shoulder.

“Mateio has done much to help Astara already, and I trust him with my life. There is no one I would rather have at my side during this time. I do not seek to turn our planet over, merely to create peace on Astara to the benefit of all.”

Aaron smiled down at Mateio, the Faro returning his look.

“I believe our conversation is at an end, Lord Nyrin. If you will excuse me, there is much that still needs to be done.”

Tapping his mate lightly on the shoulder, Aaron turned to walk back into the palace. His advisors would be heading to the council chamber to vote on joining the Alliance in less than thirty minutes, and he needed to be there.

 

The room filled quickly, elves, humans, and a single neko finding their seats with a solemn air about them. The Alliance representatives were not present, though Mateio sat at Aaron’s side. Aaron had told him he was officially the Royal Consort, an honoured position in Astara. He had the right to be here, and Mateio knew Aaron needed him to come.

“We all know why we are here,” Aaron spoke up, calling the silent room to order. “Today will have an undeniable effect on the future of our people, and our planet. Astaran law says that my judgement will carry the day. However, a king must always listen to his advisors. Thus, I would like to hear your opinions on joining the Alliance of Free Systems. Lady Mira, would you begin please?”

An elf rose to her feet, a paper on the table in front of her.

“As the Lady of Coin, I believe the Alliance offers a manageable form of currency. As we know, the collection of taxes is an issue that has constantly plagued Astara. With their credit cards, with currency that can be backed up by gold but is still only online, we have a much more feasible way to collect taxes. Naturally, changing the currency suddenly will cause some issues to our economy, issues that may well persist for several years as the people become used to the new money.”

Lady Mira sat down once more. They would wait until all was said before casting their votes for Aaron to see, to ensure everyone had the full picture of the situation.

“Lord Jerric, your opinion on the Alliance?”

The neko stood, clearing his throat.

“The Alliance seems very respectful of tradition. They have assured me that our religions and our ways of life would not be changed. However, there is some concern that should others come to visit, they might not have the same reservations as the Alliance representatives.”

“Lord Sarin?”

“The Alliance seems to be friendly by all accounts. However, our planet has suffered greatly at the hands of aliens. The people may not appreciate the entrance to an alien alliance.”

“Lady Soria?”

A woman stood, hands behind her back. A pair of gold epaulets sat on her shoulders, testament to her career in the military, and a scar ran across her cheek, won during an engagement with elven terrorists during the Queen’s rule.

“The aliens have better technology than us. The only reason our planet remains free is due to an error in information. How they can be so advanced yet make such a mistake is uncertain, but the fact remains we are unlikely to fight any future invasions on our own.”

“Lord Asheir?”

Another elf stood, pushing his glasses up his old face.

“The Alliance has technology that could feed the entire planet. However, Astaran access to this technology runs the risk of destroying an entire economic class. The gift of the wolf serum will aid our science research greatly, possibly allowing us to put an end to the threat of werewolf related crimes.”

And so it continued for nearly an hour, advisors pointing out various issues with the Alliance or explaining the benefits that might come from the alien beings. Finally, the last advisor sat down, the room falling silent.

“I will now ask you to vote on joining the Alliance of Free Systems. Remember, this isn’t for you alone, but for the entire planet,” Aaron said.

The sound of pens scratching on paper filled the room, eventually ending as the lords and ladies set their votes in the centre of the table. Aaron collected the small pile of papers, and began reading them aloud.

“One vote for remaining outside the Alliance. Two votes for remaining outside the Alliance…”

Mateio’s heart plummeted at each negative vote. What would happen if the planet decided against joining? The Alliance would leave, certainly, and the technology ban would once again be in effect for the planet as the Alliance sought to distance themselves from Astara. He would be forced to leave the fleet. There was no way he was leaving Aaron.

“Four votes to join the Alliance…”

But Aaron had said he had the final say in the vote. Maybe, just maybe, the vote would pass. Even if it didn’t, perhaps Aaron would decide to join the Alliance anyways?

“Five votes against joining the Alliance…”

Aaron set the final paper aside, the stacks equal in size. Frowning, the elf stood up, turning to study a painting on the wall. Mateio watched him silently, wondering what was going on in his mind. The whole room seemed to be holding its breath as the king pondered his next move.

Six votes to remain independent, five to join. As Aaron had said, a king had to listen to his advisors. And as the elf turned back to his advisors, Mateio’s heart sank. He knew. Aaron could not drag his planet into an alliance they didn’t want.

“The vote failed. However, I do not believe we can afford to send the Alliance away for good. We must negotiate with them, find some way of remaining independent yet under their protection until we can stand on our own.”

The room let out a collective sigh.

“Perhaps they would be willing to defend another planet nearby, if not ours,” Lady Soria spoke up.

“That is a fair point. Invite them to remain in the system, and possibly trade with us. We will need an agreement drawn up that will benefit both sides,” Aaron said.

“If I may, the Alliance prides themselves in knowledge,” Mateio said. “Perhaps some of our more adventurous people can become Alliance citizens and work with the fleets.”

“‘Our people’?” Lord Sarin asked sharply.

“Yes, my lord. Your decision today has forced me to choose between my career in the fleets and my Bonded. I formally renounce my ties to the Alliance.”

Aaron grabbed the Faro’s hand, looking into his mate’s eyes. Mateio could read his sorrow in Aaron’s face, and an uncertainty.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” the elf asked quietly.

Mateio nodded firmly.

“My place is by your side, Lord Aaron. If you will have me.”

Aaron stood up, lifting Mateio into his arms.

“Of course I will have you, my love.”

Mateio took a deep breath, touching his thumb to his bangle. With a click, the jewelry fell off, landing heavily on the floor.

“If you will excuse me,” Aaron said, looking around the table, “I believe my mate could use some comforting.”

He knelt to collect the bangle, then carried Mateio out of the room. Minutes later they were in the king’s bed, Mateio wrapped in his Bonded’s arms. He had made his choice. Astara was the Faro’s home now.

Only one more chapter to go :) Then I will get working on Itumak and Lian.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Fear of the new and unknown is very powerful. Sometimes you must take a leap to move forward. Mateio has just leaped.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Mateio has just taken a huge step into the unknown by renouncing his ties with the Alliance and joining his bonded Aaron.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Again I was surprised. I hope it will be a good decision for the future of Astara ❤️
 

I’m pretty sure Mateio’s decision will be good for him and his mate though ❤️ 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..