Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,047 Words
  • 925 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 22. Broken and Weary

They approached the building under the brightness of a blue sun, Itumak rubbing his eyes. The night had been short. Like, only three hours long. It was disturbing. There hadn’t been any time for the night to cool the world around him. And he hadn’t felt any pull from the moon, almost as if there was no moon…

The cough of an engine filled the air, choked and harsh. It cut off after a few seconds, Itumak unable to find the source. A Xanar stopped the two in front of a tall fence.

“Excuse me, we’re looking for the fleet-”

“You’re at the fleet school. The office is in the back, on the right of the hall inside. You should be able to find someone who can help you there. A word of advice, you should get your slave some clothes. Some species do not appreciate such… open nudity.”

Itumak frowned, looking at Lian. The Daknar had been wearing nothing but a loincloth since Itumak had found him, and Itumak was ashamed to realize he had never given his state of dress a second thought.

“Thank you for the advice,” he nodded. “Do you know where I could get some clothing for him?”

“All Fleet uniforms are purchased through the clothier to the right of the office.”

“Thanks.”

Itumak hurried through the gate, making his way around the left of the huge building that seemed to take up most of the area.

A row of ten starships sat to the left of the building, one of them smoking slightly. As he passed, Itumak flinched at a sudden coughing roar, the ship belching out a cloud of smoke. The neko watched warily as the ship fell silent once more.

The hiss of a door opening followed, a white tiger slipping down a ramp. His coat was spread with golden stripes, though much of it was smeared with grime.

“Kótsiras…” the cat snarled, kicking the side of the ship.

He glanced over, spotting Itumak watching him.

“Hey, toss me a cloth?” he called, motioning to a bucket of water.

Itumak reached into the bucket, pulling out a wet rag. He tossed it to the tiger, the Egaro dousing himself.

“My apologies. I’m having troubles with my ship,” the Egaro said, closing the door. “You are new here?”

“Yes.”

“I thought so. I am Artemis, Corporal Artemis, I suppose.”

His accent was thick, though he seemed more proficient in Common than the Egaro from the dock at Asla was. Itumak shook the hand that was offered to him.

“I’m Itumak. This is Lian.”

“Ah, a cadet with a Daknar slave. Those do not come cheap.”

“He’s not my slave. But he likes having the collar on,” Itumak objected.

“Seems like a slave to me. You find a billet yet?”

The neko shook his head.

“I thought the office-”

“Pssh, the office is useless. Do not worry about them until you test out. This place is very free.”

The tiger placed a hand on Itumak’s back, the neko shrugging it off. Taking the motion in stride, Artemis led Itumak toward another, smaller building, one that reminded Itumak of the guardhouse at the palace.

“My fílis, she left yesterday. You can have her room, right next to mine. Just keep it clean and no one should complain.”

“This seems… wrong,” Itumak frowned.

“You can go to the office if you want.”

“I think I’ll do that,” Itumak nodded.

“I will see you around then,” Artemis smiled.

 

Aaron looked up at the night sky. Somewhere over his head, an Alliance fleet was in orbit. At least, he hoped it was an Alliance fleet.

He had received news of the ships two hours ago. For now, the planet was on lockdown, waiting to see what would happen. But he would not abandon his planet. Not this time. If those were Imperial ships, he would fight to his last breath.

A uniformed neko approached the king, joining him beside the old fountain in front of the palace.

“Your Majesty, you should head inside. We do not know if those ships are friendly,” the neko said quietly.

Aaron nodded.

“Thank you Captain Sathain. I will go inside in a minute.”

The neko backed away, standing at a discreet distance. Aaron missed the freedom he used to have, the ability to do what he wanted. He couldn’t even stand outside without someone worrying now.

The elf stared into the sky, his eyes seeking out familiar constellations. The healer Danuva, the neko king Arithan… legendary figures from history.

A star moved slowly across the sky. No, not a star, one of the ships blockading the planet. Aaron tracked it silently, through a patch of stars that looked suspiciously like a fox running.

“Wherever you are… I hope at least that you are safe,” the king of Astara whispered.

Turning, he returned to the palace, to an office where several proposals awaited him. He already knew tonight would be another sleepless night.

 

Lian shifted uncomfortably in the new clothing. He thought the trappings were pointless. The Daknar had been fine without clothes for the longest time, yet now he had to wear them? They itched, irritating even further. But he didn’t want to get Itumak in trouble, so he dealt with them.

His master was sitting at a desk in their new quarters. The Egaro had spoken truthfully, the Xanar at the office hadn’t seemed to care about where they stayed. All they did was offer Itumak a tablet, scanning his bangle. When questioned about the action, they explained that it was a way for beings without credit cards to pay for items. It only worked for fleet members, but still, Itumak seemed grateful to have at least one question answered.

Well, several questions answered. By the time they left the office, they knew that Itumak had no set schedule to follow. They could stay here until he tested for advancement to the rank of Private, which would involve demonstrating proficiency with the Xanthian language as well as knowledge of starship repair. There were classes for both subjects, if he so desired to take them.

Meanwhile, Lian would remain in their quarters, doing what he could to help Itumak relax when they were together. But for now, he was fighting his clothes, while Itumak fought with setting up his new tablet.

“Okay, I’m supposed to take a picture of my own script… But how do I open the camera? There has to be a camera, right?” Itumak muttered.

They would figure out a schedule, Lian was sure of it. Itumak would not sit around when he could be learning. Lian admired that about his master. He did things, rather than waiting for someone else.

There was a click, and Itumak crowed triumphantly.

“Got it!”

Lian smiled at the two soul’s exuberance as another click sounded. Itumak set a sheet of paper aside, looking down at the picture in his hands.

“Okay, and now I just match basic words with their pictures and the tablet will learn my language just like the implants do…”

He frowned at a picture.

“Uh… that’s a hand, right? Or is it a paw…? Fuck me…”

Itumak’s head thumped against the table, startling Lian.

“Master?!”

“I’m okay. Just give me a few moments,” Itumak muttered. “Ugh… Okay, I can do this… Skip.”

Lian stood behind Itumak, tentatively rubbing his mate’s shoulders. Itumak’s tail bounced between his legs, smacking the fabric of his pants.

“That… that looks like an apple? I doubt fruits are the same on this planet. Okay, that one is water. I got one at least…”

 

“Unidentified ship, you are in a no flying zone.”

Mateio flinched at the voice on the radio. He was exhausted and it made flying especially dangerous. The Faro was lucky there was nothing to hit nearby.

Except for what appeared to be a blockade of Astara…

“This is Captain Mateio of the IEFL. I am a Faro and my Bonded is planetside,” he said wearily.

“There is to be no landing on the planet. You may dock with one of our ships until the planet is open once more.”

“Understood…”

He shut off the radio, closing his eyes. Aaron was right there, right behind that blockade. And so far out of reach.

Standing, Mateio screamed. Letting out all his fear and frustration, the Faro kicked at the wall of his ship. This wasn’t fair. He needed to land. He needed to see the elf again, if only to assure himself that Aaron wanted nothing to do with him.

“No. I’m not accepting this…”

Falling back into his seat, Mateio buckled his belt.

“Reinard, set a course for Astara, coordinates 34.023 south, 42.135 east.”

“Location plotted.”

Watching his radar, Mateio dipped his ship toward one of the cruisers.

“Golaski preserve me to see my mate…” he whispered.

Flying until he was just below the cruiser, the Faro began hopping from ship to ship, descending carefully.

“Engage cloak.”

“Cloak up.”

Carefully, Mateio slowed his ship, falling toward the planet. He kept his speed steady. With luck, the cruisers would spend too long trying to figure out which ship he had landed on. Their mistake. He hadn’t been told which ship to land on.

Entering the atmosphere, Mateio aimed his ship at his target, the sky brightening around him. Precious minutes passed, his hands sweating on the yoke of his craft. Turning off the artificial gravity, Mateio jumped at the clunk of machinery shutting down. This was insane; he was going to be shot. There was no way they would let him land, but at this point, he had to try. His only hope was that his cloak held.

“Captain Mateio, you will respond immediately.”

He couldn’t respond. It would give away his position.

And then he was two kilometres above the ground, above the ruined buildings of Astara.

There was an explosion in front of him and Mateio cried out as a large shell hit the window of his ship. He was so close now, he could see the palace not more than three kilometres ahead.

His ship slowed as another bullet rushed past him. This was conventional ammo, from the planet. But he felt safer testing his luck here than he did against those cruisers.

Dropping his cloak, the Faro opened comms again.

“I am sorry, but I must land,” he said.

There was a moment of silence.

“I hope you understand what you have done. If they shoot you, there will be no retribution.”

He knew that. At least they weren’t kicking him out of the fleet. Yet.

His landing gear descended, the ship slowing to a hover beside rubble. The fox could see several vehicles rushing toward him, nekos and humans stepping out to greet him with guns and steel.

“Please let me see him again…”

The ship touched the ground and he shut off the engines. Double checking his bangle, Mateio stood up.

“Reinard, open the door.”

A hiss signalled the door’s opening, the distinct clicking of weapons following. Mateio stepped into the vehicle bay and knelt down. He would not walk into a murderzone.

“You may come inside to apprehend me. I am unharmed and will offer no resistance.”

His ears flattened as his bangle translated his words loudly. If they didn’t hear that they had to have been deaf.

Please Aaron…

Footsteps. On the metal ramp. They were coming for him.

A human spun through the door, training his gun on the Faro, and Mateio raised his hands.

Another head appeared in the doorway, bright hair flowing, eyes searching. He stepped inside and stopped, staring at the alien in the starship.

“You’re back…”

The voice that spoke was lifeless, the face drained of any happiness. A body fell toward Mateio, Aaron landing on his knees before the fox.

“Please forgive me…” he choked out, his arms falling over Mateio. “I never should have sent you away.”

Mateio swallowed past the lump in his throat, tears streaming down his face.

“You still want me?”

“I never stopped wanting you.”

The elf’s lips pressed against his own, salty with Aaron’s own tears.

“Don’t leave me… Don’t ever go away…”

Mateio placed his arms around Aaron.

“I forgive you,” he whispered.

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

 

I'm glad to see Aaron and Mateio are getting another chance, but Itumak and Lian sure could use a friend to help them assimilate...maybe this Egaro Artemis? 

I wonder if he is descended from Elias' Artemis?

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I'm pleased to see Aaron and Mateio reunited and getting another chance. Itumak and Lian need a friend to help them, maybe Egaro Artemis.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Mateio and Aaron are back together again. Perhaps Aaron can actually relax now that his mate is back.

Itumak shouldn't have rejected Artemis' help so quickly. They could use a friend in this alien placeto help acclamate. Artemis', from his introduction, seems to have received a sudden reduction in rank.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am screaming inside my little head! A hopefully descended Artemis? 

Don't think I missed your little Wolf Pack reference...

Quote

The elf stared into the sky, his eyes seeking out familiar constellations. The healer Danuva, the neko king Arithan… legendary figures from history.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, astone2292 said:

I am screaming inside my little head! A hopefully descended Artemis? 

Don't think I missed your little Wolf Pack reference...

One does not simply help a werewolf prince and not become legend. ❤️
Artemis is not descended from Elias' Artemis, though he does share a lot of characteristics with a certain tiger from Egaran Stars, which is set about 150-200 years before this story.

  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
Just now, Yeoldebard said:

One does not simply help a werewolf prince and not become legend. ❤️
Artemis is not descended from Elias' Artemis, though he does share a lot of characteristics with a certain tiger from Egaran Stars, which is set about 150-200 years before this story.

It seems I must read Egaran Stars... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, astone2292 said:

It seems I must read Egaran Stars... 

I like my stories to be little puzzles, fitting lore into places as I build my universe.
I'm not even going to get started on Golaski's real identity...
What Attracts People To Conspiracy Theories? A Clinical Psychologist Tries  To Explain | TPR

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Yeoldebard said:

I'm not even going to get started on Golaski's real identity...

Excuse me. I'm the proud owner of the I'm Callin' It ballcap here on GA. I will deduce the answer...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I don’t think Lian and Itumak are comfortable enough with each other to accept a tiger in their bed, but who knows maybe in the future? 
 

Lovely to see common sense coming back ❤️

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..