Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,647 Words
  • 870 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 20. A Test of Patience

The sun beat down on his head as he laboured, carrying rubble to a truck. There was so much to do, so much that he should be doing. But for now the king of Astara let his mind be claimed by menial labour.

He pined for Mateio, missed the Faro’s smell, the way he would smile awkwardly at jokes. What had he been thinking, pushing the fox away? Adara was dead, gone. But his mate was still there, waiting to offer his support.

And he had rejected it. Had rejected him, the fox that made his wolf sing.

Grunting, Aaron threw a wooden pole into the truck, ducking under another rock someone tossed.

“Sorry!” the human called.

Aaron waved it off. His hands were bruised, cut from the stone he moved, and his back ached. A fitting punishment for his crime, even as his heart longed for Mateio’s return.

It would not be. He knew it could not be.

Aaron would go back to being the consortless king. And Astara would survive under his rule once more.

He looked around for more rubble, finding none. The orphanage where he had spent ten years of his life was clean, ready to be rebuilt once more. It did his people good to see their ruler labouring beside them. But it would not last. There were other things he needed to do, projects he needed to agree to.

And he would do it all alone.

 

The Faro scowled at him, dark orange tail flicking angrily. Itumak had no idea what he had done to earn the fox’s enmity. He had only just landed on Mateio’s home, less than two hours ago.

“You brought one of them here. Do you not remember the last time they set foot here?”

“Segal, he is a friend. And he is not Elias. There will be no harm from him spending one night in your home,” Mateio said quietly.

“It is not proper. Let him and his slave find shelter elsewhere.”

“Shall I join them Segal? Athalea is no longer my home. I am bonded and he is among the stars.”

The dark Faro frowned, glancing at Mateio’s stomach.

“And your Bonded, he has no intention of giving you kits?”

“He is young. It will take time,” Mateio said evasively.

The older Faro scowled, opening the door to the house wider.

“They can stay the night. But only one night.”

Itumak decided he didn’t like Mateio’s father. He was rather rude. Nonetheless, he and Lian followed the Faro into the house.

Mateio hung back slightly, staying beside the neko.

“Try to get a good night’s sleep,” he said quietly. “I can take you in for testing tomorrow morning.”

A black fox came bouncing into the room, dancing around Mateio’s legs with happy yips.

“Hey there ardai. It’s been a while,” Mateio smiled.

“Norein! What have I told you about using your bond form in public?!”

The Faro whined, ducking under a low table, and Mateio chuckled.

“I used to be the same way. When you’re young there’s a sense of freedom to your fox form,” he explained to Itumak.

“That’s exactly how I feel with my wolf,” Itumak replied with a smile. “Well… how I used to feel…”

Lian’s hand pressed into the neko’s back, something Itumak had noticed him doing a lot more in public. It was almost like he was scared someone would see his affection for Itumak.

Norein darted out from under the table, chasing a beam of light down a hall. Itumak saw a light switch off on Mateio’s bracelet and he laughed.

“I remember the last time someone tried to play that trick on me,” he said as Mateio’s brother let out a noisy complaint. “I hit a wall, she laughed, then she also hit the wall.”

“There were times as a kit I would swear I almost caught it,” Mateio smiled.

“Yeah, well thankfully those days are long behind you.”

Mateio’s father stood in the doorway, arms crossed. Itumak had to hold back a snort. He looked so funny, standing there trying to look tough.

“Supper is ready.”

 

Mateio curled up in his bed, whimpering quietly.

In his dreams he was running, chasing the assassin. She taunted him, a spike appearing in her hand.

“He’s already dead. He just doesn’t know it.”

He ran faster, through a maze of halls and corners, the assassin always just out of reach.

But then she wasn’t.

Aaron lay sprawled on a stone table, the assassin standing over him.

“Aaron!” Mateio screamed, leaping forward as the spike descended.

Just before it pierced his heart, he woke up.

Curled in a ball, sweating and panting, Mateio wept. It was a dream, just a dream, but for a moment there, he had really believed his Bonded was dead.

The door to his room creaked open, a pair of orange eyes glowing in the darkness.

“What is it, Norein?” Mateio asked, drying his eyes.

“Segal says you’re bonded,” the younger Faro said. “Do you miss him?”

Mateio nodded, moving aside as his ardai joined him on the bed.

“His name is Aaron?”

Had he called for the elf out loud? He must have, and it must have woken Norein.

“Yes, his name is Aaron. And he is king of his planet. He is kind, and caring…”

“Does that make you dorinar?”

“No,” Mateio chuckled. “I don’t want his throne. He told me once that we would travel the world together when he is done being king.”

“Why didn’t he come with you?”

“Because he has a planet that needs his help, and he needs me to take his friend to join the fleets.”

“But you’ll go back to him after, right? And you’ll leave Segal and I here.”

“Someday I will bring him back here. Maybe by then you’ll be bonded yourself,” Mateio smiled at the thought.

 

Lian followed his master faithfully, through the port and into a building. Mateio said this was where they needed to be, and the fox was confident in his movements. It wasn’t long before they were waiting in a room.

“Can you tell me anything?” Itumak asked yet again.

Mateio shook his head silently. Itumak was worried, and it made Lian worried, but he still wasn’t sure how to help the two soul with that.

A door opened, three beings walking out. Lian tensed slightly at the sight of a Xanar, but Itumak’s hand brushed against his leg, and the slave relaxed. He was safe. He belonged to Itumak, and only the two soul could punish him now.

“Good morning Captain,” a white Faro smiled, the bracer of a commander on his arm. “Is this the one we are testing today?”

He motioned to Itumak, who stood up, bowing slightly.

“Yes. Here is his chip. He has already been implanted,” Mateio said, handing over a small black chip.

“Good,” the Xanar smiled. “It makes things a lot easier when we can understand each other. Unfortunately, we must request that the Daknar remain outside.”

Itumak glanced at Lian with a heavy sigh.

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly.

“I am used to it Master,” Lian replied.

He watched as Itumak was escorted through the door, Mateio following closely behind. And then Lian was alone with a Dalmar, the dog sitting behind a desk with a tablet in hand.

“We don’t see many Daknar around here,” the dog said, looking over at him.

Lian was silent, sitting on his chair.

“You know, they’re going to be in there for a while. I’m sure we can get that collar off of you. You’d be gone before they ever noticed.”

His eyes widened in horror. Remove what made him Itumak’s? He couldn’t do that!

“No!”

The dog leaned back, surprise clear on his face.

“You… you don’t want to be free?”

Lian shook his head violently. He was Itumak’s. He belonged to the two soul, and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

“Military and Exploration? How could I test into both?”

Itumak looked between the aliens, trying to figure out exactly what he had done wrong.

“You show an inquisitive mind, an eagerness to see new things,” the dog alien said.

“However, you have military training already, and it would be a waste to ignore that. The primary concern is minor PTSD due to previous actions. That can be dealt with easily enough,” the Faro added.

“Mateio, what should I do?” Itumak asked.

Mateio shrugged.

“No one can really tell you what to do. This choice is entirely yours,” he said. “Join the IMFL, or the IEFL, or don’t join the fleets. These are supposed to be recommendations.”

“Can… Can I think about it?” Itumak asked.

“Of course,” the Xanar smiled.

“This is an important decision. It is wise not to rush into it. When you have made your choice, Seraina will help with your tool.”

Itumak and Mateio were led out of the room, Lian standing as he saw the neko.

“I really don’t know what to choose…” Itumak sighed. “I thought they’d just tell me I needed to go into one of the fleets or the other.”

“As far as I know, the Alliance has never forced anyone into the fleets. It is the reason they do not allow slaves to be tested. If you are coerced, you are a risk.”

Itumak looked at Lian, as if the Daknar could tell him what he should do. He wanted to make sure Astara would be safe from the Empire. But he had been in the Astaran Guard. If he joined the military, it was highly doubtful he’d get to choose where he was stationed. Besides, that made it more likely either he or Lian would be hurt.

When put that way, the decision was much easier to make.

“I want to join the Exploration fleet,” he said.

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I find pious and figurative self flagellation such as Aaron has been doing rather pathetic and indulgent. Aaron is realizing his mistake in sending Mateio away as he did. There some hope there.

Mateio's father is a prick. No wonder Mateio left home. What exactly did Elias do to give nekos such a bad reputation?

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

I find pious and figurative self flagellation such as Aaron has been doing rather pathetic and indulgent. Aaron is realizing his mistake in sending Mateio away as he did. There some hope there.

Mateio's father is a prick. No wonder Mateio left home. What exactly did Elias do to give nekos such a bad reputation?

It is believed among the Faro that he was responsible for the downfall of the Artegos. It's not true of course, but people will believe what they want.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Aaron is missing Mateio, so he realises his mistake in sending him away. There might be some hope in salvaging there relationship some day.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Dare I say that the untimely demise of your game system has spurred on your writing? Very intriguing and involving chapter. You already know I’m team ItuLian, nice fan service 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tsukihana said:

Dare I say that the untimely demise of your game system has spurred on your writing? Very intriguing and involving chapter. You already know I’m team ItuLian, nice fan service 

It does help my productivity when I'm not constantly trying to heal a bunch of Altmer through a beginner dungeon 😛

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Yes! Yes! And yes! 
 

Nice to get a glimpse of a Faro family.

 

Lian not wanting to run away from Itumak even given a chance is definitely a great sign. 
 

And of course Exploration fleet, duh! Cat already had enough killing in his life I’m sure. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..