Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,394 Words
  • 1,232 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko and the Wolf - 11. Paperweight

Zaddis had barely gotten back to his room as his father came storming in, almost purple in the face with anger.

"What. Did. You. Do!?"

Not waiting for an answer, he threw a shirt at the werewolf, and once it was on, grabbed him by the collar and marched him to the dining room where the queen sat reading the papers and drinking her morning tea. Or... at least she HAD been reading the paper... she was currently staring at two pages from different publications.

 

Queen Erin looked up slowly, her eyes smoldering under a bland mask of diplomacy.

“Your job is to guard the prince. To keep him safe. Yesterday, you allowed him to run off through the city. I forgave you; after all, he is a kid, and he needs his fun. I knew there would be some backlash, he is the prince after all, even if not many recognise him. What I did not expect was this.”

She slid the first paper over, a picture of Finley holding open a towel that did nothing to hide Zaddis’ backside gracing the page.

“Please explain to me what was going through your mind. Why did you, a royal guard, tasked with guarding one of the most important people in this city, feel it was proper to get naked in front of dozens of people?”

 

Seeing the picture, Zaddis froze, eyes wide as saucers.

"I... I ah..."

Clearing his throat, he stood at a parade rest, his training kicking in.

"It was a lapse of judgment ma'am... we were at the water park and Fin... Prince Finley... wanted to go on a ride that required me to shift... I was caught up in the moment and just had him hold the towel in front of me... as it was a wolf park, it didn't occur to me that it would make a difference as long as my front was covered..."

It wasn't a good excuse by any means... but it was the truth at least…

 

“And tell me, did you see any other wolves shifting in public? Did it not occur to you that public nudity, no matter what your race, is a crime?”

The queen’s mouth thinned, her lips nearly vanishing as she glared at the werewolf.

“How are the Royal Guard supposed to epitomize law and order when its members are seen breaking the law? Very publicly, I might add.”

 

Sighing deeply, Zaddis's gaze fell to the floor.

"N-no ma'am... it didn't occur to me... we were just trying to have some fun... act like normal people our age... I'm a nobody and I didn't think anyone would see through my illusion that was on the prince... we both made foolish decisions, but none of it was done maliciously... I'm sorry... I should have done my job better..."

If Zaddis had been in wolf form, he would have had his tail tucked and head bowed. He knew he'd fucked up.

 

“Cameras see through magic. You should know this. And they see in the dark too.”

The second paper was slid toward him, the queen’s glare growing even more fierce. She tried to keep her voice down, tried to remain calm, but that impenetrable mask slipped for the first time in years.

“Would you care to explain why you were seen sneaking naked into the prince’s bedchamber?!”

 

The second paper showed a picture of Zaddis climbing naked over the balcony to Finley’s room, the words ‘Full Moon Rises Over Palace’ printed above the coloured picture.

Closing his eyes for a moment, Zaddis flinched, as if expecting to be struck.

"It was the last night of the full moon... and I was out... Prince Finley asked me to come by... I wanted to get up there quickly... so I just climbed up before putting pants on..."

Gods the tabloids and newspapers moved fast... it hadn't even been a full day…

 

“And now the papers are flying with rumours that the prince is a werewolf! Worse, people are saying that he is sleeping around, that he likes to parade his bed partners in public! Do you have any idea what you have done to his public image, before he has even had the chance to meet with anyone?! Now we have to cancel his appearance at court, because we have to deal with the damage you caused! You are lucky your father talked me out of jail time for this!”

 

Zaddis was actually starting to tear up as she said this.

"That's not true Your Majesty! We've not done anything like that... yes... I snuck into his room... he's..."

Oh gods... here it came... he'd see the inside of a cell for sure.

"He's not adjusting well... and he's been having trouble sleeping... all I have done is lay beside him in my wolf form at night... it calms him enough to sleep, and I still do my job of guarding him..."

 

A door opened, forestalling any response as Finley slid into the room. The neko looked dishevelled, panting heavily, but he still straightened up at the glare on the queen’s face.

“Zaddis? What… what are you doing here?” he frowned, looking at the half elf.

Another neko entered a moment later, Maia’s ears flicking as she took in the room. She backed up slowly, lowering her head as she took up position near the door.

 

Looking up at him, Zaddis seemed to be unable to make any words before Vincent spoke up.

"Prince Finley... please take a seat... we're in the middle of a serious discussion about you and my son's... activities..."

 

His heart nearly stopped, Finley dropping heavily into a seat as his head swam. Activities… no, they couldn’t know about the bath… or the laundry room…

“I thought we already discussed the water park?”

The neko’s eyes took in the two pictures of Zaddis, and he gulped.

“Not well enough,” Queen Erin scowled. “I will give you one chance to explain your actions, both at the park, and last night.”

Finley’s eyes darted between Zaddis and the queen, the neko’s ears nearly vanishing into his hair.

“I… It… I asked Zaddis to guard me if the moon would allow it. I didn’t know he was going to climb in through the window naked, I swear. I would never be with a werewolf like that, the priests taught me better than that!” he blurted.

 

Zaddis visibly flinched at this, remaining quiet as Vincent nodded, his grip tightening on his son's shoulder.

"So him sharing your bed at night was NOT invited?"

 

“It… We didn’t have sex…”

“Answer the question Finley,” Erin snapped.

“I asked him to be there, to hold me. He makes me feel safe…”

“You have guards. You do not need to sleep with them to be safe,” the queen scowled. “Maia!”

“Yes Your Majesty?” the neko asked, stepping toward them before snapping to attention.

“Nekos are famed for their hearing. Did you hear any disturbance coming from the prince’s room last night?”

Finley couldn’t even look at her, his eyes glued to Zaddis as he tried to figure out where they had gone so wrong.

“Yes, Your Majesty. I heard two friends talking, nothing more. Prince Finley did not seem to be in danger in any way.”

 

This seemed to alleviate Vincent's concerns somewhat, nodding before he looked to the queen.

"There you have it, your majesty... my son may be a damned fool... but he is not some sex-fiend, seeking to claim the young prince..."

 

“So it would seem. But the tabloids will never let something like this slide,” Erin said. “Zaddis. You have publicly humiliated the Royal Guard twice. Your fate will be left in their hands. Finley. You do not seem to understand that your actions have consequences. By inviting a werewolf to share your bed in whatever form, you’ve opened yourself to ridicule from the public. Not only that, but you have put the people under you in an impossible position.”

Finley’s eyes dropped to the table, to the papers showing off Zaddis' backside. His eyes squeezed shut, the neko shivering.

“I… I’ll go pack… I’m not fit to be any sort of ruler…”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Erin scowled. “You are not getting out of your responsibilities that easily.”

Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

And the wolf droppings hit the fan as the full moon of Zaddis becomes front page news. The press here are as invasive and merciless as in real life.

Our just beginning to flower love story has run into a serious road block.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..