Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,873 Words
  • 1,873 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko and the Wolf - 1. A Flppant Guard

The first night in a new home was always the hardest. It wasn’t just the howling of wolves under a full moon that kept Finley awake. Or the finest bed he had ever seen. Nor even the fact that in the morning he would have to meet with a dozen of the most powerful people in Astara and try to win their approval. It was all of those together. Even the weighted blanket he had carried with him from Sarelin was no help with the nerves that filled him. The new prince’s window was open, catching the last of a summer breeze, but no one would try to harm him. He had been assured the palace guards were on constant patrol.

 

As he tried unsuccessfully to find sleep, a curious sound drifted out from beneath the gap of his door, a soft *click-clack-click*, as if an animal was walking the hall beyond, slowly, methodically, then it would fade, only to return several minutes later coming from the other direction. And every time it passed his door, he saw a shadow in the dim light of the hallway.

 

Every horror movie he had ever seen warned the neko to stay in bed. His mind worked feverishly, trying to figure out exactly what that noise was, his claws dipping out of his fingers. Fin tried to stop that; the sheets would be ribbons if he let himself get worked up, and there was no way he could pay the sheets off.

 

“Hello? Who’s there?”

The neko swallowed back the knot of fear in his throat. Werewolf. It was the perfect night for them, the moon was nearly full, but surely the queen didn’t employ wolves. That would be too dangerous, right? He had to be letting his imagination get away from him.

 

As he spoke, the shadow stopped, followed by a huff as something plopped down in front of his door, the light suddenly snuffed out. Whatever was out there, it was in front of his door now

 

“Lynestra, preserve me in your golden glow. Lumara, grant me sanctuary from the creatures that pervert your name…”

The prayers tumbled from his lips, a life of supplication to the gods called up in a moment of terror. He could hear the creature breathing, quiet pants driving the thought of werewolves even deeper into his mind. Fin’s ears twitched at the huff, the neko burying himself under his covers. Because that was surely going to keep a wolf from tearing out his throat.

Part of him knew he was being ridiculous. The beast outside the door was in the Imperial Palace, one of the most secure places in the world. There was no way he had broken in, which meant he was supposed to be here. But that didn’t help the terror coursing through his body. Terror he was sure the werewolf could taste.

 

There was a sound of sniffing, then a groan as the wolf got back up. Then, as if to confirm his fears, a series of almost sickening cracks and pops came from outside the door, lasting for several minutes. Once they faded, a deep sigh was let out, followed by the rustling of clothes. Then, to Finley's horror, a key clicked into his lock and the door swung inward, a figure outlined in the dim light.

"Fine, I'll sit out here like this, just stop damn near pissing yourself... it stinks..."

 

Fin was suddenly grateful he hadn’t had that last glass of wine at dinner. There was no way he would have held it in at the sight of the werewolf.

“Please don’t eat me…” he whimpered, tail curling over his bedclothes.

Strange thoughts flashed through his mind. It was a good thing the elf servant had insisted on him wearing clothes to bed. He was about to be eaten, assassinated by a werewolf. The last feeling he’d have was the soft silk sheets, and he was okay with that…

 

Frowning deeply, Zaddis rolled his eyes.

"I'm not gonna fucking eat you, that'd be pretty damn counter-productive..."

Stepping over to the wall switch, he turned the light on, revealing a young man with slicked back black hair and pointed ears, maybe two or three years older than Finley. He was also wearing a slightly ruffled Guards uniform, the Astaran gold melding with Mydaran blue, a bare hint of Sarelin brown making its presence known, nothing but lip service to the nekos who were as much a part of Astaran politics as the other races.

 

If there was anything reassuring about the moment, at least the werewolf… the guard… wasn’t falling over his feet bowing. And he was elven. Not that Fin was surprised; the queen was an elf, and she seemed to have filled the palace with other elves. For someone who held his neko heritage dearly, it rubbed Fin’s fur the wrong way.

“Why were you standing outside? It’s the full moon. Shouldn’t you be out chasing cats?” he said, feeling a little more bold.

Though there was no way he was lowering the shield that was his blanket. Who knew what the wolf would do? Sure he wore a guard uniform, but that could have come from anywhere.

 

Rolling his eyes, Zaddis gave an exaggerated bow.

"just doing my job and being a good lap-dog, 'your highness'."

The werewolf couldn't get out for the full moon, so he'd been doing his job in his more comfortable wolf form, but of course, the little kitty cat just reeked of fear. It was so cloying and stifling he couldn't stand it anymore. The praying was just the icing on the cake

 

Finley’s fur stood on end, the neko scowling at the guard. Fuck… the elf must have human blood in him. Fin swore he had just read his mind.

‘If you are reading my mind and can hear this, fuck off.’

“In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a neko. We don’t get along with lap dogs,” he said out loud.

 

Shrugging, the flippant half-elf spread his arms.

"History of not getting along with elves either, and yet, here we are. And if you're wondering, no, I can't read your mind, just have good ears. You were mumbling out loud."

 

He was still terrified, but to his surprise, talking to the werewolf was helping. Finley couldn’t focus on his fear when he was mouthing off to a creature who could end him with a single bite. Not that he was happy having a werewolf for a guard, but at least he wasn’t fully elven. Maybe it was supposed to be a peace offering from the queen. He hadn’t exactly come willingly, but when the queen says be my son… well, who would be able to refuse?

 

Sensing that his fear was waning, Zaddis smirked slightly.

“Well, now that introductions are out of the way, go to sleep and I can go back to my post... unless his highness has any orders for his lowly guard?"

 

“So do you have a name, or should I just call you lap dog?” Fin said, almost hoping he could find a button to push.

It filled him with an almost exhilarating sense of danger, poking at a werewolf. Almost dying seemed to have awakened something in him, albeit momentarily. Though he doubted he was in true danger from the half elf. Hadn’t the werewolf said killing him would be counter productive?

 

The older boy quietly growled in annoyance.

"Zaddis... though I suppose what you call me is your prerogative as the prince... and what should I call you? Finley? My lord? Cat?"

 

“Finley will do,” the neko muttered, wondering briefly at the old adage of glass walls. “I can’t sleep. I don’t suppose you know of some magic cure for that? I mean, you are part human, aren’t you?”

Okay he needed to chill. Fin took a deep breath, trying to relax, to calm himself. He did not want to be one of those people who were constantly biting at everyone around him. That wasn’t him, and he was not about to start.

“I’m sorry. Do you know how to put someone to sleep?” he tried again.

 

Sighing softly, Zaddis' mood seemed to soften. He was no stranger to not being able to sleep. Looking to the open door, then back to Fin.

"It’s... not magic... but there is something my mother used to do to help me fall asleep when I was little... if you want me to do it for you..."

Technically, he was Finley's servant. He had to abide by what the younger boy said or risk embarrassing his family further.

 

The neko bit his lips, taking a moment before answering. He needed to get into the habit of thinking before responding, especially if he was meant to rule the world some day.

“It… It depends. You’re not going to pet me or anything, right?”

 

Shrugging, he gave a rather noncommittal head bobb.

“Not... exactly... look, you want a good sleep or not? This isn't any more awkward for you than it would be for me..."

 

“I suppose,” Fin sighed quietly. “What are you going to do? I think I deserve to know, embarrassing or not.”

He looked the wolf over, his tail twitching under the covers. Already this was feeling awkward, but he needed to get some sort of sleep, and if Zaddis knew a trick, he could hardly say no to the help.

 

"Well..."

Sighing deeply, the half elf went over and closed the door.

"I'm going to shift, and then I'm going to lay next to you, on top of the covers. The body heat and soft fur is soothing..."

Finishing, he moved to step into Fin's bathroom, already unbuttoning his uniform.

 

The neko squeaked at the sight of the man’s bare back, closing his eyes against the temptation of a bare body. It was too late, he could feel himself reacting, his body constantly on a hair trigger.

“Fuck… fuck fuck... stop…” he hissed, pushing at his groin.

The last thing he needed was to pop wood around a werewolf. Rolling over, Fin buried himself into the bed, trying to hide the erection in the mattress.

After a few moments, the bathroom door pushed back open, and there stood a massive black wolf, its yellow eyes staring back at him. Padding over to the side of the bed, Finley felt his weight hop up beside him, then settle into the mattress beside him, the warm and soft body nestling up beside him

 

He fought back a shiver, trying not to think about the enormous canine sitting beside him. Cats and dogs didn’t mix, and now he was relying on one to put him to sleep. Yet the weight seemed to calm him, and before he knew it, the neko was falling into the depths of sleep, small mewls escaping him.

 

As he slept, his dreams included being covered in a warm fur blanket, and come morning, he found himself snuggled up to the large werewolf, Zaddis himself snoring softly, curled around the neko protectively.

Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 17
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh this is going to be a very entertaining and educational story it seems, I liked this chapter

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

“Lynestra, preserve me in your golden glow. Lumara, grant me sanctuary from the creatures that pervert your name…”

The prayers tumbled from his lips, a life of supplication to the gods called up in a moment of terror.

 

I really do love your use of language! Missed this somehow before starting Amber Waves - looks like this will fill some gaps!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..