Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,681 Words
  • 1,099 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko and the Wolf - 3. Palace Cook

Entering the kitchen through a side door, the first thing to hit Finley was the smells, fresh bread baking, the scent of the night's dinner still lingering in the air. At the large double sink stood a woman, older than either boy, with an odd mix of elvish and Neko traits, her curly ginger hair tied back to reveal pointed ears tipped by red fur, a striped tail lazily swinging back and forth as she worked.

Hearing the door open, she smirked.

"Zaddis, you know you're not supposed to be in here after dinner hours..."

Turning to look as she dried her hands, she stopped with a look of sudden surprise, staring at Finley.

"Oh! You must be the new prince! Where are my manners?"

She quickly bowed her head.

“Is there anything I can get for you dear?"

 

“Some warm milk?” Fin asked quietly, afraid of abusing some sort of power. “Do… do you need any help? I’m sure cooking for us all must be difficult. I know how to cut fruits and vegetables, if you want. And… and if Zaddis needs anything…?”

His tail flicked uneasily, the two nekos reading each other’s motions as much as they listened to the words being spoken.

 

Shaking her head, she smiled warmly.

"Oh no dear, I wouldn't dream of it. Don't worry, I'm not the only cook, I'm just finishing up prepping for tomorrow."

Heading over to the refrigerator, she got some milk and poured it into a small saucepan to heat on the stove.

"Zaddis, you know where everything is, get yourself and the prince something dear. But DON'T BE GREEDY!"

Grinning playfully, the young werewolf pat Fin on the shoulder before leading him over to the pantry.

“Don’t worry; she's just a grouchy old lady, but she loves me."

From behind them, Miranda piped back up, "oh shut it pup, I'm only thirty. And as if you could do as good as me!"

 

The young neko chuckled quietly, ears swivelling as he followed the werewolf.

“Is that your preferred nickname? Puppy?” he smirked, reaching toward a bag of dried cranberries on the shelf. “It’s okay if I have a bowl of these, right? I don’t want to leave anyone without. These are amazing.”

 

Blushing deeply at the nickname, Zaddis looked away.

"Sh-shut up cat..."

Taking a bag of dried apple chips, he headed over and hopped up to sit on the counter.

On the other side of the room, Miranda giggled.

“Now who's being grumpy?"

Looking back over her shoulder, she nodded to Finley.

“Just don't make yourself sick on them sweetie. And don't worry, we have more than that one bag."

 

“That’s a tall order…” Finley warned, grabbing a handful. “I haven’t had these in years. I’ll try to limit myself though.”

He looked around for a bowl, but decided against it, not wanting to make more of a mess. He was perfectly capable of stopping at a quarter of a bag… or maybe half…

“Zaddis, if I eat half this bag, stop me,” he said around a mouthful, searching for a secluded corner of the kitchen.

 

Zaddis held up a thumb as he munched on his own snack, and Miranda spoke up again.

“So how are you doing if you don't mind me asking hun? I know this must be a pretty big change for you..."

 

“Well, I haven’t been killed yet. Or eaten,” Finley added with a wry glance at Zaddis. “It’s… yeah, it’s big. Imagine you wake up one day and the queen whisks you off to live in a castle. I don’t know anything; there is literally nothing that qualifies me for the job of royalty. I’m scared I’m going to say the wrong thing and have an angry mob try to chop my head off. I don’t even know why I’m saying this, it just feels so good to get it out in the open…”

 

Nodding as she listened, Miranda stepped away from the dishes and came over to him.

"Nobody's perfect hun. You won't get everything right on the first try, but that doesn't mean you should stop trying. Just take it a day at a time and do your best... and if you ever need to talk or vent, you know where to find me or Zaddis. He acts like a delinquent, but he’s a good guy at heart."

From over where he sat, the young half-elf spoke up with a mouth full.

"Heinous lies, all of it."

Smirking, Miranda shook her head, then opened her arms, giving the younger neko a quick hug, then playfully ruffled his hair, "looked like you needed one. Sorry if it was out of line."

 

Fin let out a laugh, relaxing fully for the first time in days.

“I’m onto you Wolfie,” he grinned. “Thanks. I didn’t realize I needed that. It wasn’t out of line at all… or, if it was, I didn’t mind.”

He smiled reassuringly at the older neko.

“I never thought my life before was easy, but looking ahead, I almost wish the only thing I had to worry about was fundraising for the orphanage.”

 

Nodding with a sigh, Miranda returned to her dishes.

“I can understand that..."

Pouring a cup of milk from the saucepan, she sprinkled a little brown sugar and cinnamon into it before setting it aside.

"Here you go dear. And if you want to wait a little bit more, I'll have a fresh loaf of bread you boys can take with you. It'll be just between us."

 

Fin smiled as he accepted the cup.

“You are a saint. Thank you so much… um… what was your name again?”

His ears flicked in shame, his mind trying to remember if she had given her name already. It wouldn’t be the first time he had forgotten someone’s name, and somehow he doubted it would be the last.

 

Smiling softly, she shook her head.

"Miranda dear. And don't worry; you've had a lot thrown at you today. I don't take any offense."

Looking over to Zaddis, she reached out and swatted his leg.

"Now YOU, off my counter. Don’t need fur in the food."

The half-elf smirked and stuck his tongue out before hopping down.

"Oh fine old lady. Geez, you used to be fun."

Rolling her eyes as she pulled a pan of small bread loaves from the oven, Miranda scoffed at the werewolf.

“And you used to be a cute little kid. Guess we both ran out of luck huh?"

Handing the wrapped loaf and a little dish of honey butter to Fin, she gave the prince a warm smile.

"Here you go sweetie. You boys run along now. And stay safe."

 

He had a hard time imagining the half elf as cute. Hot, sure, a body full of masculine strength… but that train of thought had to be derailed fast.

“Thank you Miranda,” Fin said gratefully, taking the warm offering. “Zaddis, any chance you could show me to my room? I’d hate for a big bad wolf to find me wandering the halls all lost.”

Not exactly helping his problem there, but Finley couldn’t help teasing the werewolf.

 

Smirking slightly, he nudged him out the door.

"I'll show you big bad wolf..."

Waving goodbye to Miranda, they set out, returning to Fin’s room with ease. Stepping inside, Zaddis watched the neko for a moment before speaking.

"Alright, here we are... if you don't need anything else, I guess I'll be out in the hallway..."

 

“I should be okay with the milk,” Fin said. “Thanks. Um… do you want a blanket or something? Can I make you more comfortable out here?”

The neko let out a tired yawn, hand on his door as he struggled mentally. Zaddis shouldn’t be stuck out here alone, but then the werewolf was doing his job. But it was getting cold out, and Fin would hate for the wolf to freeze.

 

Shaking his head, the older boy waved off his worry.

“Nah, I'll be okay... probably just shift and chill in front of the door... you won't get scared this time hearing me out there, will you?"

 

“Well, as long as you don’t breath under the door like a serial killer,” Fin chuckled weakly. “Do you need a place to shift? I doubt the queen would be happy if you were caught naked in front of her prince.”

Though he was expected to have a consort at some point… but why the fuck did that come up in front of Zaddis? And why was he getting hot looking at the wolf…?

“Um… you can use my bathroom again if you need to shift,” he said, praying the wolf couldn’t smell his arousal.

Damned teen neko hormones…

 

The werewolf nodded in agreement.

"Yeah... she probably wouldn't... I'll use the bathroom..."

Turning, he started towards the door, unbuttoning his shirt as he went. Pausing suddenly though, he gave a few sniffs before looking back at Fin.

"Are... you okay? I just got a scent of something... sweet..."

 

“Fine! I’m fine!” Fin squeaked, backing toward the bed to give the wolf space. “It’s the stuff they make me wear… they like to throw all kinds of perfumes on it…”

He tried not to stare at Zaddis. No, Fin’s eyes were not glued to the wolf’s chest, not at all. He was just… making sure the half elf’s chest met the standards for the Imperial Guard…

 

Raising a brow, the half elf just shrugged.

"Alright... smells nice..."

He stepped into the bathroom. Several moments later, he nosed the door open, folded uniform in his mouth. Plodding over to a chair, he left the clothes, then looked back to Fin, giving a short two barks, as if saying goodnight. He then headed back out the door, pulling it closed behind him.

 

The neko let out a sigh, taking a moment to change his clothes. He buried himself under his blanket, trying to get some sleep.

Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 12
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"Are... you okay? I just got a scent of something... sweet..."

“It’s the stuff they make me wear… they like to throw all kinds of perfumes on it…”

"Alright... smells nice..."

Wel, well, well! It seems they are mates when they smell nice hehehe

  • Love 1
Link to comment

"He acts like a delinquent, but he’s a good guy at heart."

From over where he sat, the young half-elf spoke up with a mouth full.

"Heinous lies, all of it."

 

mhm, okay, pu- Zeddis. We believe you.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..