Home is where the heart is?

GaryKelly

I can't remember all the different places I've lived...something around the mid to late 20s. Just now, I replied to a blog entry. When I finished, and went outside for a quick puff, I was almost shocked to find myself in Taree again.

So I got to thinking about where we live and I suspect that it's inside what we carry around on our shoulders rather than any particular geographical location. When I write a chapter of a story, I'm transported to whatever location that happens to take me, as well as into the minds of the characters. Spooky!

So, where do I live? I point to the side of my head and say, "In here".

• Site Administrator

I'm in my eighth home -- at least as far as I remember.

I was born in Dandenong, Victoria, but moved to Geelong when I was one. We stayed there until I was eight, when we moved to the northern suburbs of Melbourne. I stayed there with my parents until just before I got married, with one period of living by myself as I house-sat for a few months for a friend (before they got married).

My first own home was again in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. We stayed there for many years until I had a transfer to the UK. I stayed in two rental places for a period of six months each, before returning to Australia. We lived with my wife's family for several months while we sold our previous home (we had tenants living there while we were away).

We then bought our existing home -- the second one we've owned and the one that I want to retired at. A lovely 10 acre property where my wife can keep her horses and the boys can ride their bikes :D

I grew up in Huntington Beach, my parents still live in the same home. After college I moved to Laguna because I thought it was a gay friendly community and I love living near the ocean. :worship:

I should also mention that I read something (yes, yes, yes...I do read) about the constant exchange of messages between the brain and the heart, and that the heart, to some degree, is a thinking organ. Thus, the age old belief that the heart does indeed contribute to one's thinking is true. There ya go. :wub:

I suppose this should be a separate topic but... oh, well...

I should also mention that I read something (yes, yes, yes...I do read) about the constant exchange of messages between the brain and the heart, and that the heart, to some degree, is a thinking organ. Thus, the age old belief that the heart does indeed contribute to one's thinking is true. There ya go. :wub:

I suppose this should be a separate topic but... oh, well...

What's more interesting is that we males have yet one more brain in (or I suppose on) our bodies... *looks down and smiles*

Oh yeah!

LMAO j/k!

I have lived in only two places. I was born in a hospital in Boynton Beach, Florida, but lived in Boca Raton (Boca did not have a suitable hospital at the time of my birth in 1987) until summer of 1996, when I was nine. My dad's job was transferred to New Jersey, so we had to move to where I am now. Presently, I live in Pomona, New Jersey (20 minutes outside of Atlantic City) during the fall and spring semesters. During the winter and summer months I live with my parents in North Jersey.

BTW, I found out recently that we technically lived in an area called West Boca, but since West Boca is not an official town that would appear on maps or in official records, our mailing address was Boca Raton. Supposedly some townspeople in the area have been trying to have West Boca recognized as an entity separate from Boca Raton, which requires forming a town council of some sort and all that jazz. Suffice it to say, you will not find West Boca on a map of the east coast of South Florida for quite some time.

Hmm, I was born in england. My parents were on vacation. I've only live in Kentucky in pretty sheltered places really. The older I get the closer I want to live to my mother.. lol. My family is pretty spread out with my sisters living in Maryland close to Washington D.C and the campus. My father's family lives in Ohio and Indiana, but a nice house close to my "home" now would be ideal. It's where I my heart is.

Krista

I can't say i believe that home is where the heart is. I have lived where i do now my entire life and have resented this for a long time. I suppose it could have something to do with the specific location, but i think that i am simply bored with my life here. Every day i recognise shared identities with the previous day, and in turn, the one previous to that, and these are not simple things such as, the way i brush my teeth in the morning or the bed i get into at night, but are very specific things such as, the person i see on the street, the time my phone rings at night and so on. Another contribution to my great dislike of my current location is that, a lot of people know my name and my business around here, there is not place you can go and simply be anonymous to everyone, a thing i find great solice in. I would love to leave my home and find somewhere new and exciting where i can start all over again, and am saddened by the thought that i will constantly be tied to this place because the majority of my family live here and love it. I think i could find a home anywhere but here and so in conclusion to my little rant, i suggest a simple phrase reversal in that, home is not where the heart is, but instead "The heart is where home is."

Edited by James Albert

Born in Waterbury. Spent the bulk of my childhood in Oakville. Moved to my current residence in Watertown at the age of 9. Watertown/Oakville are essentially the same town. Waterbury is our neighbor directly to the south.

I've also spent time living in Pontelandolfo, Aprilia, and Cisterna. Pontelandolfo is in the state of Campania; Cisterna and Aprilia are in Lazio. My mom's family is spread out through these towns. My grandparents and my mom's youngest brother and sister live in Pontelandolfo. Her oldest brother lives in Cisterna and the oldest of her younger sisters lives in Aprilia.

It's funny a thing. I have spent less than a cumulative 6 months in Italy throughout my life. But for some reason I have always seemed more at home there than I do here. I guess my heart will always be in Italy.

I think i could find a home anywhere but here and so in conclusion to my little rant, i suggest a simple phrase reversal in that, home is not where the heart is, but instead "The heart is where home is."

On the other hand, Jamesy Wamsey, your heart is wherever you happen to be. :blink: In my case, it's wherever my laptop is.

I use the term "heart" loosely. I dont mean to directly refer to the organ in our bodies, i use it as a term of a place where our feelings are, if you believe that you feel with your head (as i do) then thats where i was referring to. I used the term heart because most people relate it to feelings, and i wanted to relate it specifically to feelings, not just thoughts.

• Site Administrator
I use the term "heart" loosely. I dont mean to directly refer to the organ in our bodies, i use it as a term of a place where our feelings are, if you believe that you feel with your head (as i do) then thats where i was referring to. I used the term heart because most people relate it to feelings, and i wanted to relate it specifically to feelings, not just thoughts.

I think everyone took it that way. However, some of us enjoy taking contrary views by using inappropriate alternative meanings for words for the context in which they are used. English is a wonderful language :P

I happen to agree with what you said earlier. Home is where you are happy. You have a place where you live, than colloquially is called your home, but it's not where you want to be. For you, it's not really "your home" -- it's the house where you live. That's being crude -- in some respects it is your home, but not in all respects. You're looking for a place that will be your "home" in most respects.

I've lived long periods of my life in five different countries. Raising a family slowed that down so I have been in only three communities in the last twenty-five years. Each community was very different (Asia, Africa, North America). When it is like that and family and friends are dispersed then your center is within. James, you will spring free eventually and take the best of it all away with you.

I was born in Walnut Creek, California and have lived here all my life. I've only lived in two houses, the current one for about 7 years. In August I'll be moving to Berkeley, California and I'll be living in a dorm at the University of California. That's going to be a huge change for me, both a change because it'll be the first time I've ever lived on my own and independent to the point where I'll be responsible for everything I do; and a change because I'll be in a totally different environment than what I've been used to, from a modest-size upper-middle / upper class suburban community to a much larger college town where it seems to an outsider that anything and everything goes. It's exciting and a little scary. I'm looking forward to it!

Colin B)