A letter to the archbishop.

C James

Bishop John Shelby Spong, the retired Anglican 8th Bishop of Newark, published an open letter to the Archbishop of Canterbury (the leader of the Anglican Church).

Here is an excerpt, but read the whole thing. He really takes the archbishop to task.

You continue to act as if quoting the Bible to undergird a dying prejudice is a legitimate tactic. It is in fact the last resort that religious people always use to validate "tradition" over change. The Bible was quoted to support the Divine Right of Kings in 1215, to oppose Galileo in the 17th century, to oppose Darwin in the 19th century, to support slavery and apartheid in the 19th and 20th centuries, to keep women from being educated, voting and being ordained in the 20th and 21st century. Today it is quoted to continue the oppression and rejection of homosexual people. The Bible has lost each of those battles. It will lose the present battle and you, my friend, will end up on the wrong side of history, the wrong side of morality and the wrong side of truth. It is a genuine tragedy that you, the most intellectually-gifted Archbishop of Canterbury in almost a century, have become so miserable a failure in so short a period of time.

http://towardequality.blogspot.com/2007/09...hbishop-of.html

Thank you CJ - it is a FANTASTIC read. Bishop Spong has long been an advocate of love and inclusion and treating all people, gay, straight, bi - as children of god.

The other section from this letter that I love is:

Next you declined to invite Gene Robinson to the Lambeth Conference of 2008. All of the closeted homosexual bishops are invited, the honest one is not invited. I can name the gay bishops who have, during my active career. served in both the Episcopal Church and in the Church of England? I bet you can too. Are you suggesting that dishonesty is a virtue?

• Site Administrator

I like the letter, but I have to feel sorry for Rowan Williams. He really is in a no-win situation. The issue of homosexuality is almost certainly going to result in a schism in the Anglican Communion, just like it is also potentially going cause a schism in my own denomination -- the Uniting Church in Australia.

My feeling is that Archbishop Williams knows what is the proper thing to do, but doing so will almost certainly destroy something he loves and cherishes -- the Anglican Communion.

At the Assembly of the Uniting Church last year, the Victorian Synod had a proposal on the subject of ordaining practising homosexuals as ministers. It was roughly along the lines of:

"While opposing positions are held with integrity by people of good will, it is too early to make a decision in this matter."

I have had a good hard look at this issue and while I disagree with the position held by the religious conservatives, I understand that it is a legitimate interpretation of the Bible, and as such I can appreciate that there is integrity in their point of view. I believe their view is wrong, but I concede that it may not be (though I won't know for sure until I die).

Rowan Williams, while nominally the leader of the Anglican Communion, is not like the Pope. He is "first amongst equals", and doesn't have the power or authority to dictate to the members of the communion. He has to persuade, and this is a subject on which too many people have entrenched positions that can't be shifted.

The majority of Anglican members belong to the conservative sections of the Communion, but the majority of the finances come from the liberal sections. This also adds to the tension.

I can see a general trend towards the acceptance of homosexuality in certain areas of the Christian communities. I remember a survey here in Australia where only 30% of practising Catholics believed homosexuality was immoral (which I'm sure concerned the local Catholic leaders). But it will be slow progress. Deep-seated beliefs don't change quickly or easily. It takes time and patience.

Yes, Ieshwar...The change is coming, albeit slowly. Same is the case with many other religions too. You'd be surprised to know how the level of acceptance has improved amongst the youth, here in India.

The BeaStKid

P.S

Great letter!!

Interesting points all around. It does sound like the bishop is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It is encouraging to see that the Anglican church is adapting and at least considering different changes. Unfortunately that seems to be more than can be said for a great many other denominations. (though I guess in general things might be getting better).

-Kevin

Thanks for including this. Even though I am a recovering Anglican my roots are strong. My grandfather was the Episcopal Bishop of Vermont. My Dad Struggled with my being gay. Yet he was a supporter of the Liberal Bishops such as Sprong and their thinking helped him move toward acceptance. I also was counseled by and became friends with another Retired Anglican Bishop who was gay. He was one of the most valued people I have had the pleasure to know. He participated in several of the early Episcopal Gay ordinations.

It has been sad to see the Church of England take the downward path. I grew up with stories of Lambeth and how august that body was. It for now could join the Babtist Southern Conference. How very sad. Clearly Rowan will end up with a schism of the Episcopal (American) Church at this rate. I am not sure how that is better except for the numbers. All of the traditional churches in the US are under the pressure of the Fundies and unfortunately are not holding up well.

I must say that part of the blame lies with people such as I who have forsaken the church and left it to others. My Partner has been active in the Methodist inclusive programs for years and is seeing the same slide backwards.

Again thanks for including. Having sailed across the Atlantic and lived on my boat for the last few years I have gained a strong sense of spirituality. Part of me would be interested in taking that back to my traditional roots. However these roots continue to be unwelcoming at some levels and I dont need that anymore.

Pax Steve Temporarily back home in Maine.