50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to spell it "Colour" or "Color"

• "Colour"
    • "Color"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm late to the party, so what else is new . . .

Voted for Colour, but then I've been an Anglophile for years.

I'm stuck with color, though, and aluminum, tires, and all those -ize endings.

Of course, if I had a character from that strange little isle off the coast of France, I might want to adjust the language a teensy bit so all of the colour might come shining through. :P

Those of you who so choose are more than welcome to use 'colour.' Just as long as you realize that those of us who use normal, rational spelling are going to pronounce it to rhyme with 'velour.' :blink:

Sharon

• Site Administrator
Those of you who so choose are more than welcome to use 'colour.' Just as long as you realize that those of us who use normal, rational spelling are going to pronounce it to rhyme with 'velour.' :blink:

Normal, rational spelling? What language would that be? It can't be English....

After all, the language that has "one" and "won" with the same sound, and "tough", "though", "thought" and "through" with completely different pronunciations clearly does not have normal, rational spelling.

After all, the language that has "one" and "won" with the same sound, and "tough", "though", "thought" and "through" with completely different pronunciations clearly does not have normal, rational spelling.

A good list, just not thorough. ;)

And just to complicate thing, in Australia labour is work, while Labor is the political party....

That is weird.

In the US we don't have a Labour or Labor party. We have just two parties that dominate everything. One is a center-right party of big government and the deficits that generates, beholden to powerful lobbies and corporate welfare, and so is the other one.

Oh, and "aluminium" is a misspelling and probably an affectation, but an errour that is repeated often enough becomes standard, as this one did in the UK.

Oh, and "aluminium" is a misspelling and probably an affectation, but an errour that is repeated often enough becomes standard, as this one did in the UK.

Well, it started as aluminium, in the UK of all places by the gentleman who was trying to isolate it. Later, he seems to have changed his mind and started referring to it as aluminum, but not all the time, which leads me to believe someone down in typesetting wasn't paying attention, again.

My preferred spelling of colo(u)r is "Farbe". Would look stupid to use an English word in a German text. :lmao:

If I'm chatting with my friends from England I use colour, because they tend to remind me that color is wrong.

If I'm chatting with my friends from the USA I use color, because they tend to remind me that colour is wrong.

If I am with people from England and the USA in the same chat room I try to avoid the use of colo(u)r. :P

Tob

This reminded me of something I read some time back--- Here's some of the things that were there--->

We have noses that run and feet that smell.

We send cargo by ship and shipment by car/truck.

Guinnea pigs are neither from guinnea nor they are pigs.

A house can burn down as it can simultaneously burn up.

When the lights are out, there's darkness. But when the stars/moon/sun is out, there's light.

A wise man and a wise guy are two different things all together.

A vegetarian eats vegetables--->What about a Humanitarian??

Teachers teach, preachers praught?

These were just some of the things that I could remember from that article/essay. I'll go home and try to find it and then post it here....

The BeaStKid

Well, it started as aluminium, in the UK of all places by the gentleman who was trying to isolate it

Just because he was a good chemist doesn't mean that he could spell. (Oh, and for UK folk, I didn't mean to imply that he ran a pharmacy.)

I have given this one plenty of thought. As a person who can't spell worth a hill of beans I vote for using then both. The more aceptable spellings there are for a word the less likely I am to make a mistake. :P That won't solve all my problems. Once I remember my father reading something I wrote and remarking that I spelled color/colour wrong. I said "but there are two ways to spell that word."

He said, "I know. You just invented a third way."

I think I spelled it "colur."

• Site Administrator
I have given this one plenty of thought. As a person who can't spell worth a hill of beans I vote for using then both. The more aceptable spellings there are for a word the less likely I am to make a mistake. :P That won't solve all my problems. Once I remember my father reading something I wrote and remarking that I spelled color/colour wrong. I said "but there are two ways to spell that word."

He said, "I know. You just invented a third way."

I think I spelled it "colur."

ROFL!!! Thanks, that started my day with a smile :) My son has a few interesting ways to spell words, too, but he's only eight. I'm sure, with practise, he'll learn more....