"Colour" or "Color"

AFriendlyFace

"Colour" or "Color"  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to spell it "Colour" or "Color"

• "Colour"
    • "Color"

• Site Administrator
Once again, using "colour" is pretentious. If I read it in a story or whatever, I would immediately roll my eyes.

Don't read my stories, then, because your eyes may end up rolling out of your head :P I used Australian English in almost all of them. The only exceptions are those stories explicitly set in the USA, and that's a very small minority. :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same goes for me.

Almost all my upcoming stories are set in India and here we use colour!

But then again, I would never discourage anyone from reading my stories... :P You can just close your eyes when these words come... :lol:

The BeaStKid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I agree im with Color, its what ive been raised with and been using all my life =D

I'd like to use colour and all the other "Commonwealth" spellings, but my spell checker runs American English and it's Color all the way. I suppose I could change my spell checker to the other way, but I'd probably end up speaking with an accent. :P

Carl :boy:

Whenever I see "colour" in text I always have to take a moment to enunciate the word, which then destroys the whole plot (if it's a story) or the point (if it's an article) and I have start all over again! "Colour" always destroys the fine art of writing, so it should be stricken from all language! The same goes for all other words that add a "u" between "o" and "r". It simply divorces "o" from "r" by attempting to create a threesome that simple cannot work! If you're going to wedge a "u" into every word that has "o" coupled with "r" then do it to EVERY word! Our (in the context of choice)! Moure! Coure! Toure! Floour! Doour!

END DISCRIMINATION YOU HATEFUL BASTARDS!

Yeah, I'm bored (boured).

• Site Administrator
Whenever I see "colour" in text I always have to take a moment to enunciate the word, which then destroys the whole plot (if it's a story) or the point (if it's an article) and I have start all over again! "Colour" always destroys the fine art of writing, so it should be stricken from all language!

But you have to realize that the rest of the world using english has trouble when we come across the word "color". I still to this day stop when seeing that spelling and think 'is this miss spelled, nope, it is an American author'.

Although this used to annoy me, I have learned it as identifying the author as being different from my norm, which is :great: . The other day I was reading a story, not sure if it was one of Graeme's or not, and they used the word tyre multiple times. I have never seen that spelling for tire, but was fascinated that was how it was spelled down under.

Rather than looking to say who is wrong, use it as a way of learning more about each others.

Let's all not be so ethnocentric :lol: (yes, I had to look up that spelling).

Steve :P

• Site Administrator
Whenever I see "colour" in text I always have to take a moment to enunciate the word, which then destroys the whole plot (if it's a story) or the point (if it's an article) and I have start all over again! "Colour" always destroys the fine art of writing, so it should be stricken from all language! The same goes for all other words that add a "u" between "o" and "r". It simply divorces "o" from "r" by attempting to create a threesome that simple cannot work! If you're going to wedge a "u" into every word that has "o" coupled with "r" then do it to EVERY word! Our (in the context of choice)! Moure! Coure! Toure! Floour! Doour!

END DISCRIMINATION YOU HATEFUL BASTARDS!

You've misunderstood the rule for using 'our' instead of 'or'. It used when the letters in question are at the end of a word (ignoring those little extras like 's' and 'ful'), and only when the letters form their own phonogram. It is for this reason that Floor and Door do not have the 'u' added, because the double 'o' is a phongram distinct from the 'or' ending. Please note that 'Flour' does have the 'u' added -- and even American spelling recognises (or maybe recognizes) this fact. Similarly for 'Tour' and 'Dour'.

:D

But you have to realize that the rest of the world using english has trouble when we come across the word "color". I still to this day stop when seeing that spelling and think 'is this miss spelled, nope, it is an American author'.

Although this used to annoy me, I have learned it as identifying the author as being different from my norm, which is :great: . The other day I was reading a story, not sure if it was one of Graeme's or not, and they used the word tyre multiple times. I have never seen that spelling for tire, but was fascinated that was how it was spelled down under.

Rather than looking to say who is wrong, use it as a way of learning more about each others.

Let's all not be so ethnocentric :lol: (yes, I had to look up that spelling).

Steve :P

:worship::2thumbs::great:

Despite being born and raise in the United States, I tend to use "colour." I don't know when I started using it, but I get a lot of flak about it!

Although from time to time my old habit of using "color."

I'm an American with an identity crisis I guess.

hehe, we should form some sort of "OU" support group! :boy:

I'm American, so, "color." But when I edit for International English, I have to switch to "colour."

The same goes for "gray and bluegray" versus "grey and blue-grey."

I never have understood, "gauge."

I don't think I'll ever understand, UK "gaol" for US "jail," though.

For that matter, why don't any of us spell "lose" as "looze" and "loose" as "loose" or "looce" ?

Or how about, "rede" and "lede" (present) and "red" or "redd" and "led" or "ledd" (past)? Or "leeding" and "ledding" ?

Ah well, a rose would still smell as sweet, thorns and all.

It makes no difference...it's just an extra u. I have no preference.

But I have to admit being born and raised in the USA, all of my time in Canada is pounding "colour" to my mind, as well as making the ize as the ise and making some of the -er as -re. x.x I guess it shoud be good...since I have to use the Canadian spelling for my schoolworks.

I like 'color', because it's, as far as I remember, the American spelling, and I think it looks nicer, and more like it actually represents a color (orange, mostly? Colour is more like... purple :S I like purple better than orange, but color better than colour :S)... and it looks more familiar to me because I use this one usually.

• Site Administrator
I like 'color', because it's, as far as I remember, the American spelling, and I think it looks nicer, and more like it actually represents a color (orange, mostly? Colour is more like... purple :S I like purple better than orange, but color better than colour :S)... and it looks more familiar to me because I use this one usually.

That's as good a reason as any -- even if I disagree. Colour is the way of the future 0:)