Public Service Announcement

BlueSoxSWJ

I think the loose/lose is my biggest pet peeve. Occasionally I'll spot it as a misspelling (which is fairly easy to do, and editors don't always catch it), but when I see loose substituted for lose over and over again in the same chapter or story (I set my boyfriend loose. vs. I don't want to lose my boyfriend) I will usually stop reading said story.

For a while I wondered if it was a british vs. american thing going on, however I have come to realize it's just a problem with poor grammar skills. Sadly it is a problem that is occurring more often these days and it's costing me enjoyment on a few stories.

Oh well...

1. loosing - from to loose:

Since I don't think the character in question "can't stand the thought of freeing his boyfriend from restraint," the word you're looking for is losing, with one o.

What was the context? Was there any bondage involved? Perhaps the guy just couldn't bear the thought of loosing his boyfriend. :lol:

Good points though, the it's/its thing irritates me as well.

-Kevin

• Site Moderator
I think the loose/lose is my biggest pet peeve. Occasionally I'll spot it as a misspelling (which is fairly easy to do, and editors don't always catch it), but when I see loose substituted for lose over and over again in the same chapter or story (I set my boyfriend loose. vs. I don't want to lose my boyfriend) I will usually stop reading said story.

For a while I wondered if it was a british vs. american thing going on, however I have come to realize it's just a problem with poor grammar skills. Sadly it is a problem that is occurring more often these days and it's costing me enjoyment on a few stories.

Oh well...

This is one of the topics covered in the Grammar and Punctuation Workshop located here. Article 7 Usage, parts 1 & 2.

Jan

Someone has been spending too much time in the Authoritarian section of Nifty.

I'd say the risk would be higher to use words such as "bitch", or even more colorful ones that I should refrain from quoting, than to read fiction in which ropes are involved. But indeed the metaphors used in sentimental fiction often are those relating to freedom and lack thereof.

As Jan pointed out, the section of the sub-forum dedicated to common confusions should be studied by all.

One I found often here:

Sneak:

# to go stealthily or furtively; "..stead of sneaking around spying on the neighbor's house"

# a person who is regarded as underhanded and furtive and contemptible

# put, bring, or take in a secretive or furtive manner; "sneak a look"; "sneak a cigarette"

# prowler: someone who prowls or sneaks about; usually with unlawful intentions

# pilfer: make off with belongings of others

# fink: someone acting as an informer or decoy for the police

# slip: pass on stealthily; "He slipped me the key when nobody was looking"

# furtive: marked by quiet and caution and secrecy; taking pains to avoid being observed; "a furtive manner"; "a sneak attack"; "stealthy footsteps"; "a surreptitious glance at his watch"

Sneek:

Dutch city

Peek:

# a secret look

# glance: throw a glance at; take a brief look at; "She only glanced at the paper"; "I only peeked--I didn't see anything interesting"

Peak:

# extremum: the most extreme possible amount or value; "voltage peak"

# flower: the period of greatest prosperity or productivity

# acme: the highest level or degree attainable; the highest stage of development; "his landscapes were deemed the acme of beauty"; "the artist's gifts are at their acme"; "at the height of her career"; "the peak of perfection"; "summer was at its peak"; "...catapulted Einstein to the pinnacle of fame"; "the summit of his ambition"; "so many highest superlatives achieved by man"; "at the top of his profession"

# the top point of a mountain or hill; "the view from the peak was magnificent"; "they clambered to the summit of Monadnock"

# point: a V shape; "the cannibal's teeth were filed to sharp points"

# vertex: the highest point (of something); "at the peak of the pyramid"

# of a period of maximal use or demand or activity; "at peak hours the streets traffic is unbelievable"

# bill: a brim that projects to the front to shade the eyes; "he pulled down the bill of his cap and trudged ahead"

# to reach the highest point; attain maximum intensity, activity; "That wild, speculative spirit peaked in 1929"