[Shadowgod] Name poll, round 2: What should Shadowgod's fans be ca

16 members have voted

1. 1. What should Shadowgod's fans be called?

• Shades
    • Shadows
    • Luminati
    • The Chosen
    • Innocent Victims

• Site Administrator
Well, yes, I do admit that characters (yours especially) are indeed captivating, but I feel that's more in the metaphorical rather than the literary sense. And also, it is not quite normal for people (other than you) to be so captivated by, and identify so strongly with, Villains.

Hmmm, I think I can recall a few of your characters that you posted many, many, many times in their defense in FTL. Such as Eric, The Reverend, The Sheriff, etc.

Of course, one must look at this from an authorship angle; an author must, in some ways, identify with all their characters, who are, in turn, a piece of them. This, of course, makes me wonder about you due to your penchant for having such nasty villains.

Really? The Scar, Dimitri, Vladimir, etc.....

And me? Gloss over? I'd never do such a thing! As for Wildone's comment, all I'm doing is quoting him. He did say that, as well he should, becuase it's true.

How about posting the whole post ^_^

Tsk, Tsk, you just don't see your eeevilness, do you? Denial is more than just a river in Egypt, ya know. ;)

Um, kettle........pot........black

Steve B)

I disagree.

It depends on your definition of villain. In any contest, the "other side" is depicted as the villain, but very, very few people are completely good or bad. There are redeeming points in everyone if you look -- even CJ 0:)

A flawed person who is on the side against the story's hero can still be a worthwhile person in their own right. To use some literary examples from a well known author:

Shylock, from The Merchant of Venice

Macbeth, from Macbeth

Iago, from Othello

All of these are villains in the stories, but they are so rich that it's possible to see things from their point of view. It is quite within reason to admire them and to feel sorry for them.

Again, I have to disagree. I don't identify with all of my characters, even though I wrote all of them. Equally, authors of murder mysteries and horror stories don't necessarily identify with all the characters in their stories, (though I have to wonder about H.P. Lovecraft).

Ahh, true, I agree that much depends on the definition of villain. In many cases, there are multiple aspects, and the "villain" has redeeming characteristics. (OK, being serious here). There's a big difference, say, between a misguided action and a malicious one, even given the same results.

On the other hand, I guess it depends on the author. I think I mis-spoke, instead of "identify with" I should have said "able to think like, and see the world from their perspective". I've heard that one problem some crime investigators have is that the need to think like their adversaries (such as serial killers) gets to them. In my case, I only try and do this for major characters, but I've found it helps give them more depth, as well as consistent behavior. I guess I just assumed all writers do this?

Hmmm, I think I can recall a few of your characters that you posted many, many, many times in their defense in FTL. Such as Eric, The Reverend, The Sheriff, etc.

Really? The Scar, Dimitri, Vladimir, etc.....

How about posting the whole post ^_^

Um, kettle........pot........black

Steve B)

Aww, well, Steve, I'd love to reply to your comments regarding me defending characters, but as this is Shadowgod's forum I really can't discuss my stories here. 0:)

Now, as for posting your whole post, I'm sorry, but I have no idea where to find it.. :)

Now, Steve, are you seriously saying that Shadowgod is not evil? 0:)

• Site Administrator
Now, as for posting your whole post, I'm sorry, but I have no idea where to find it.. :)

So -- you have a quote in your signature, but you can't prove it's a legitimate quote? Isn't that sort of fraudulent? I think Wildone would be well within his rights to insist you remove it unless you can show him where it came from... :P

So -- you have a quote in your signature, but you can't prove it's a legitimate quote? Isn't that sort of fraudulent? I think Wildone would be well within his rights to insist you remove it unless you can show him where it came from... :P

ACK!! No, I don't want to have to go search through Wildone's enormous, overwhelming volume of posts (He's a postaholic, you know). to find one quote!!! But it really is a direct quote!

I also don't see the issue here; isn't being in a lurker's sig sort of unlikely to be noticed anyway? :ph34r:

• Site Administrator

ACK!! No, I don't want to have to go search through Wildone's enormous, overwhelming volume of posts (He's a postaholic, you know). to find one quote!!! But it really is a direct quote!

I also don't see the issue here; isn't being in a lurker's sig sort of unlikely to be noticed anyway? :ph34r:

CJ, while you were writing this post, I was indeed searching through my posts :D . And guess what, I could not find a post on 10/03/07 in which I said any such thing. So.....unless you can produce the post in full, I'm afraid you will have to remove the said quote.

Thanks in advance :P ,

Steve B)

CJ, while you were writing this post, I was indeed searching through my posts :D . And guess what, I could not find a post on 10/03/07 in which I said any such thing. So.....unless you can produce the post in full, I'm afraid you will have to remove the said quote.

Thanks in advance :P ,

Steve B)

Then you didn't look very hard! :P

The post is HERE

And don't bother editing it, it's quoted in the following post and I have a screencap as proof. ;p

So, the quote stays. :P

And now that's settled :lmao: How are we doing on Shadowgod's fan's name? Hrmmm, Luminati has a huge lead. Looks like that's the clear favorite at this point!

Hrmm, Too late, i know, but I just thought of the perfect name for Shadowgod fans and readers: The hanging. 0:)

• Site Administrator

Excellent! Now CJ can amend his signature to put the quote in context, so everyone can see that the statement was made very much tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken seriously.

Excellent! Now CJ can amend his signature to put the quote in context, so everyone can see that the statement was made very much tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken seriously.

Huh? But, but, but, I can't! There's a limit on how many characthers you can have in your sig, and so I'm very limited in what I can display.

Besides, isn't this a bit of a tempest in a teapot? I mean, we're talking about a lurker's sig... It's not like anyone ever sees it... Sort of like complaining that color of something that's to be buried underground.

• Site Administrator
Huh? But, but, but, I can't! There's a limit on how many characthers you can have in your sig, and so I'm very limited in what I can display.

According to my perusal of the HTML source code produced by the forum, you've got plenty of characters to spare -- no problems at all with including the full text of the quote :)

Besides, isn't this a bit of a tempest in a teapot? I mean, we're talking about a lurker's sig... It's not like anyone ever sees it... Sort of like complaining that color of something that's to be buried underground.

We are talking about a person who has more than 5% of the total posts at GA. More posts than any other person. More posts than any two other members cmobined, excluding Myr, AFriendlyFace and myself. We are talking about a significant visibility of your signature....

According to my perusal of the HTML source code produced by the forum, you've got plenty of characters to spare -- no problems at all with including the full text of the quote :)

We are talking about a person who has more than 5% of the total posts at GA. More posts than any other person. More posts than any two other members cmobined, excluding Myr, AFriendlyFace and myself. We are talking about a significant visibility of your signature....

Ahhh, but I plan on resuming my old practice of announcing and linking my current chapters in my sig. I also sometimes use to to plug GA events such as the Anthology. So, that leaves no room.

And, ummm, Graeme, your scurrilous accusation regarding my post count cannot go unchallenged! (err, could somebody challenge the Echidna on this, please?)

Surely you wouldn't call into question my precious reputation as a quiet and shy forum lurker? :ph34r:

• Site Administrator

CJ, in no way do I want you to be prevented from announcing chapters or promoting things here at GA. So may I suggest just a few extra words in your sig like "full post here ". I'm sure that 3 little words won't adversely affect your future plans on your sig :D .

I'm here to help in case you need any other suggestions ;) .

Steve B)

CJ, in no way do I want you to be prevented from announcing chapters or promoting things here at GA. So may I suggest just a few extra words in your sig like "full post here ". I'm sure that 3 little words won't adversely affect your future plans on your sig :D .

I'm here to help in case you need any other suggestions ;) .

Steve B)

Ahh, but did you know that the HTML code and the full URL count towards the character count? That's actually over 100 characters, just for the link you proposed!

I really don't see why you object to an accurate, verbatim quote being buried in an obscure lurker's sig??

0:)

• Site Administrator
Ahh, but did you know that the HTML code and the full URL count towards the character count? That's actually over 100 characters, just for the link you proposed!

I really don't see why you object to an accurate, verbatim quote being buried in an obscure lurker's sig??

0:)

You can use http://tinyurl.com to reduce the size of the URL. :) I assure you, you can easily include the full post in your signature, or a link to the full post :) You don't have to be shy -- you can do it! I know you can :D

You can use http://tinyurl.com to reduce the size of the URL. :) I assure you, you can easily include the full post in your signature, or a link to the full post :) You don't have to be shy -- you can do it! I know you can :D

I do ude Tinyurl in my sig sometimes, LoL! But, it's only good for six months...

And anyway, I think the quote, as it stands, is so much more meaningful. 0:)

• Site Administrator
I do ude Tinyurl in my sig sometimes, LoL! But, it's only good for six months...

Not true. Tiny URL claim that the URL's they give never expire. Where did you get that six month figure from?

Not true. Tiny URL claim that the URL's they give never expire. Where did you get that six month figure from?

I remembered it as being six months, but you're right, they now claim it never expires. MAybe it changed?

• 3 weeks later...