GA Ventrilo

Everyone, since no one is on Ventrilo anymore, we need a new chatroom that will satisfy everyone that is not include the feature where the person is talking to the mic to the computer. Something that will use text chat all the time and also free.

Well, I just got my microphone set up.

But I can't always talk freely.

It was funny seeing my old vent setup with the videogame servers I used to play at on the server list!

Edit:

Correction, I just destroyed my microphone. =(

Edited by Tarin

I just was kicked out of Ventrilo and I don't know why? Here is the error message I keep receiving for it:

"You have been kicked from the server, duplicate IP's aren't allowed for your account."

Krista

If you connect to the server, then your connection is interupted somehow (computer restart or internet unplugged or whatnot), you have to wait a few minutes before reconnecting to the server because it thinks you're still in there.

• 1 month later...

I'd love to join the chat but unfortunately GNU/Linux isn't supported.

The shame about services like Ventrillo that rely on proprietary software is that there isn't universal support for all devices or operating systems, and open-source programmers don't have the opportunity to add support themselves.

The beauty of IRC is it is an Internet standard, openly available to all, that can be (and has been) implemented in clients for all manner of devices and operating systems. Some clients are better than others, but the IRC standard and the ircd (IRC Daemon) server networks were used as the model for all the major proprietary instant messenger chat services like AIM and MSN.

The other advantage of IRC is that there are a multitude of distributed networks where you can create a channel (aka room) for special interests. This means it isn't reliant on one server, and can gain users because they discover the channel whilst using others on the same network.

I use IRC as the backbone for a members-only chat client/server system on some of my web properties. On top of the basic IRC text chat for low-bandwidth connections is streaming audio and/or video using a flash client (It would be Java if Sun hadn't let their media API support die) and the open-source Flash media server Red5 with some of my own customisations. Done well, this kind of leveraging of existing technologies can allow everyone to enjoy communicating with whatever client they prefer.

For those who want to try/use IRC I've registered #gayauthors on dal.net. If you use an IRC client connect to one of the dal.net servers and then /join #gayauthors.

You can register your nickname using NickServ:

/nick <MyPreferredNickname>
/nickserv register <Password> <email@address>

You can get help with NickServ (or ChanServ the channel registration server):

/nickserv help
/nickserv help register
/chanserv help

i have irc already and tryin to go into that chan it says that its illegal then i did the /join#gayauthors and it says invite only

That does seem rather strange! I've double-checked the channel modes and there's no sign of it being set +i (invite only).

Try again. If you have problems use one of my instant messenger personas and we can work out what's going on!