Multiple Languages

JSmith

I could read a bit of Latin myself... And I didn't even learn it or study it (to me, it's a dead language). Mainly because French came from Latin. I only need it rarely for school for French linguistic since some questions ask you to use a dictionary to find the word history.

Do not make me run you over with this during a weekly snow removal machine.

MVC-793F.jpg

I could just make erm... a slip on a wheel and mow you under.

*fires a hockey puck to your living room window aiming at your head*

Dude, I can play goal. That puck won't get near my window.biggrin.gif

God I love Canadians.wub.gif

What makes you think you will be all alert and ready for it?

Just like the moment some years ago when a goalie decided to take a walk around the post during the play and just let a puck in. Bodeur I think.

Poor guy... The guys in the locker weren't so happy at him after losing the game 3-2. :D

PS: I'm sorry for being violent, but there is no other way to do it. Good luck avoiding the injuries.

Edited by Jack Frost

Well, I've taken 4 years worth of Latin (thanks to the gracious Catholic Church, lol), so I can translate (sort of), but can't write it to save my life. I also have an incredibly basic understanding of Spanish, but don't use it much since no one speaks Spanish around here. I'd like to learn another language, but I'm not very good at them.

"Romanes eunt domus." I love that part in the Life of Brian! :D

I had Latin at my grammar school (like your high school). I speak Czech, English, French, I understand German and I'm studying Hungarian. When I have time I plan to go on Spanish and Italian. Bragging finished. ;)

"Romanes eunt domus." I love that part in the Life of Brian! biggrin.gif

I had Latin at my grammar school (like your high school). I speak Czech, English, French, I understand German and I'm studying Hungarian. When I have time I plan to go on Spanish and Italian. Bragging finished. wink.gif

Yeah, our teacher actually showed us the entire movie just for the grammer lesson the soldier gives Brian. tongue.gif Latin is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and it ties into pretty much any Western language.

Yeah, our teacher actually showed us the entire movie just for the grammer lesson the soldier gives Brian. tongue.gif Latin is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and it ties into pretty much any Western language.

Well it's the cultural base of our civilization... even Slavic languages have something from Latin (there was Latin liturgy, schools and universities were in Latin in the Middle Ages, etc.

How many of you speak more than one language? If you do, how many and what languages?

Also, would you post in an 'International Forum' for non-english conversations only?

English, Spanish, Swedish, and German........ and no I would not post in a specific language only forum read.gif

I speak English as a first language, and had a semester of French in Junior High School, then a year of Spanish in High School (it was a requirement to graduate)...needless to say I was better off before both classes, I've forgotten more than I learned there...

But, I can still stumble through reading either, even if I am not able to speak in them.

I am lucky, though, Rob can read and speak German fluently enough to get by very well (his aunt only spoke German and Hungarian), and he also knows enough Hebrew to get along fairly well in Israel, as we did in 1992...and his Spanish is much better than mine ever was (he learned his from their housekeeper while he was a kid).

Edited by kjames