Recommendations for music

GaryK

I'm not one to listen to radio. There is nothing worth listening to on the radio stations here in Miami. I haven't found a decent online radio station yet. Plus I prefer to own the music I listen to.

While I enjoy all types of music I am particularly lacking when it comes to non-mainstream artists of all genres who create music that plays upon the anger I often feel. Listening to that kind of music actually makes me feel more calm.

With that in mind album suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

music.gif

I often find metal bands like Marilyn Manson, Venom, Rob Zombie, Slayer, and Pantera have some angry tunes.

Thanks, Tim. With the exception of Manson could you recommend a specific album for each artist please?

It's not exactly a music recommendation but if you check out Last.fm and make a profile, you enter music you like and they recommend other music like it. It's a pretty wonderful website. I've found a lot of really good music from it. You can also choose an artist's radio station which is once again a "radio station" of nothing but music similar to the original artist.

Hope that helps. :-)

It's not exactly a music recommendation but if you check out Last.fm and make a profile, you enter music you like and they recommend other music like it. It's a pretty wonderful website. I've found a lot of really good music from it. You can also choose an artist's radio station which is once again a "radio station" of nothing but music similar to the original artist.

Hope that helps. :-)

Thanks. I'm a member of last.fm but I've never really spent much time there. I will now.

Pandora helps also. An online radio station, tell it what you like and itll give you related songs. Other than that, some specific song titles would give me a better understanding of what youre into.

Pandora helps also. An online radio station, tell it what you like and itll give you related songs. Other than that, some specific song titles would give me a better understanding of what youre into.

Thanks. I'm trying to break out of what I'm usually into. I'll listen to anything so long as it's good. For example, Kevvers turned me on to "Theory of a Deadman" and I really like both albums. That's something I never would have thought about listening to unless someone had recommended it to me.

I guess you could say that apart from my classical collection I'm bored with the stuff I have which is mostly classic rock and country with a little electronic thrown in.

Hmm, I don't think I have music that addresses anger. Just as well, as I don't usually feel angry. I am, of course, eternally congenial and happy. :funny:

Recently (ie, over the last year and half), I've quite gotten into Italian opera. To me, opera is extremely cathartic, but I had to work hard to understand and enjoy it. I would say that Cherubini's "Medea" has a lot of hatred in it, which might go some way towards assuaging anger. I haven't found the best version, necessarily, but I think Maria Callas does a great interpretation in the 1958 studio recording.

Yeah, I seriously don't have much "angry" music. If you're feeling very dark, though, check out the soundtrack for "The Red Violin," by John Corigliano, featuring Joshua Bell. It's the most brooding piece of music I know. As with opera, it took me a while to get into.

On another note, maybe some World Music can help soothe the beasts within. :D In all seriousness, though, I would highly recommend Loreena McKennitt's "The Visit" to anyone. The music is always evocative, intelligent, and reflective. Plus, anyone who's into literature can appreciate musical settings to Tennyson and Shakespeare.

Eh, I usual go with Lordi, any of their cds, but I like the one with Blood Red Shaman and Could You Love A Monsterman? on it. The songs are hard, but the voice is one of the best.

Avenged Sevenfold are good. Not quite as mainstream as most people would think.

69 eyes and H.I.M. are both good to. Again, any of their cds.

Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks, Tim. With the exception of Manson could you recommend a specific album for each artist please?

For Slayer, I suggest Reign in Blood. For Rob Zombie, I suggest Hellbilly Deluxe and The Sinister Urge. For Venom I would say Welcome to Hell and Black Metal. For Pantera, I definitely suggest Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power.

Yeah, I seriously don't have much "angry" music. If you're feeling very dark, though, check out the soundtrack for "The Red Violin," by John Corigliano, featuring Joshua Bell. It's the most brooding piece of music I know. As with opera, it took me a while to get into.

I'm downloading this from Amazon right now corvus. Thanks.

Tim, I'll sample some of the suggestions you provided when I wake up. I'm sure a few of them will appeal to me. :)

Oh that's pretty nifty! Thanks, Luigi :)

Recently (ie, over the last year and half), I've quite gotten into Italian opera. To me, opera is extremely cathartic, but I had to work hard to understand and enjoy it. I would say that Cherubini's "Medea" has a lot of hatred in it, which might go some way towards assuaging anger. I haven't found the best version, necessarily, but I think Maria Callas does a great interpretation in the 1958 studio recording.

Should one really have to work to enjoy something?

I also use an online customizable station, Yahoo LaunchCast

I love Launch!

So, I think I may have already suggested them to you Gary, but I can't emphasize "Three Days Grace" enough. Very angry, very euphonic.

I am quite embarrassed because I forgot about my own thread! Thanks everyone.

I've been enjoying last.fm. It's sort of like what MusicMatch used to be before Yahoo! ruined it. The one thing I miss about MusicMatch was if you became a premium member you could listen to any artist you wanted to without similar artists being included in the mix. I haven't been able to find such a feature on Yahoo!'s version or on last.fm.

Thank you so much my friend. This album is now a permanent resident on my iPod.

For Slayer, I suggest Reign in Blood. For Rob Zombie, I suggest Hellbilly Deluxe and The Sinister Urge. For Venom I would say Welcome to Hell and Black Metal. For Pantera, I definitely suggest Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power.

Thanks, Tim. I'll give each one a try. I mean, one can only listen to "The Red Violin" so many times in one day!

IMO, no!

So, I think I may have already suggested them to you Gary, but I can't emphasize "Three Days Grace" enough. Very angry, very euphonic.

I don't recall you suggesting it to me before Kevvers. I'm heading off to Amazon and iTunes to see who has the highest bit-rate without any DRM.

I definitely suggest the self-titled album. There's some good songs on The Battle of Los Angeles too.

I'm downloading their eponymous album now. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

ADDED: I'm also downloading the self-titled "Three Days Grace" album. Wow, 256kbps. Thanks Kev.

Edited by GaryInMiami

No, not necessarily. But I have a somewhat broad idea of working to enjoy something. For example, I was first drawn to, say, Madama Butterfly by two "showstopper" arias. I like them a lot, definitely, but the rest of the opera sounded like gobbledy goop. To "get" it I had to follow through with the libretto, which is something that you have to set aside time for. Plus, I didn't really enjoy the experience the first time around -- I had to keep "touching" it to understand and appreciate what was going on.

After that, I was curious about bel canto operas, which I didn't "get" -- verismo had conditioned me to expect sobs or screams, as opposed to consistently beautiful sounds. Not only did I have to follow librettos, I had to embrace a style of music that I wasn't used to. This whole process, of course, was enjoyable in and of itself. But what I mean by work is that I, as the listener and audience, have to meet the artist halfway across the bridge. This stuff isn't pop. (Although, a hundred years ago, it basically was, so... *shrug*)

I'm sure people do this sort of thing all the time, ie have evolving tastes. But when there's a conscious and directed effort involved... well, then there's a conscious and directed effort. :P

Thank you so much my friend. This album is now a permanent resident on my iPod.

Good, good. :D That's one of my favorite soundtracks. Dark, brooding, but beautiful. There's also some stretches of darkness in the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, which I think is very well done, musically; but it's not *as* dark, if you catch my meaning.

ADDED: I'm also downloading the self-titled "Three Days Grace" album. Wow, 256kbps. Thanks Kev.

So what did you think of it?

This whole process, of course, was enjoyable in and of itself. But what I mean by work is that I, as the listener and audience, have to meet the artist halfway across the bridge. This stuff isn't pop. (Although, a hundred years ago, it basically was, so... *shrug*)

I'm sure in another hundred years people will be sitting around saying, "You know, I had to really work to appreciate Brittney's 'Gimme More' but it was so worth the effort" :boy:

I'm sure people do this sort of thing all the time, ie have evolving tastes. But when there's a conscious and directed effort involved... well, then there's a conscious and directed effort. :P

Yes, I am a big fan of evolving taste for sure :)

Have you ever watched "Metalacolypse" on Adult Swim? There's an album out featuring the music from the show called "The Dethalbum", band is Metalacolypse: Dethklok. I've been listening to it recently and I love it!

I'm sure in another hundred years people will be sitting around saying, "You know, I had to really work to appreciate Brittney's 'Gimme More' but it was so worth the effort" :boy:

Uh, Kevvers.. people have been saying that since last year. Not a hundred years from now.

So what did you think of it?

Does it seem weird to tell you I enjoyed it? I did! Thanks.

Mozart, absolutely. The Beatles, maybe. Brittney, no way!

• 2 months later...

Hey, this thread has been dormant for a while, but I need to bring it back to life. That's because I need some more music recommendations please. Kevin's suggestions in particular were great. Bought all of them. Loved all of them. I'm looking for similar kinds of albums. Dark, brooding. A mixture of rock with maybe a light rap beat to it but not necessarily. Thanks. :)