Earthquake in Italy

Arpeggio

There was an earthquake in L'Aquila, Italy, and 72 have been reported dead and it is probably going to rise.

I just got home and my aunt told me that Chris' grandparents live in L'Aquila and they haven't heard anything from them. I hope they didn't get hurt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_italy_earthquake

Edited by ArpeGGio

It has risen, now to at least 90 dead and 1,500 injured. It's completely tragic.

I just got home and my aunt told me that Chris' grandparents live in L'Aquila and they haven't heard anything from them. I hope they didn't get hurt.

I'm sure it's very chaotic there at the moment, once more aid arrives and things settle down some, they should be able to get a call out.

BBC: The EU, Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Israel and Russia immediately stepped forward with offers of aid, if required.

It's always nice when countries come together in a time of need. Let us hope they act quickly to save more lives.

Good news, his grandparents weren't even anywhere near it when it happened. I'm glad for that, but I'm sad for all the people who were hurt. :(

Edited by ArpeGGio

Italy is my favorite peninsula, but I wonder what triggered the earthquake.

Italy muzzled scientist who foresaw quake

06 Apr 2009 11:22:00 GMT

Source Link

Source: Reuters

By Gavin Jones

ROME, April 6 (Reuters) - An Italian scientist predicted a major earthquake around L'Aquila weeks before disaster struck the city on Monday, killing dozens of people, but was reported to authorities for spreading panic among the population.

The first tremors in the region were felt in mid-January and continued at regular intervals, creating mounting alarm in the medieval city, about 100 km (60 miles) east of Rome.

Vans with loudspeakers had driven around the town a month ago telling locals to evacuate their houses after seismologist Gioacchino Giuliani predicted a large quake was on the way, prompting the mayor's anger.

Giuliani, who based his forecast on concentrations of radon gas around seismically active areas, was reported to police for "spreading alarm" and was forced to remove his findings from the Internet.

Italy's Civil Protection agency held a meeting of the Major Risks Committee, grouping scientists charged with assessing such risks, in L'Aquila on March 31 to reassure the townspeople.

"The tremors being felt by the population are part of a typical sequence ... (which is) absolutely normal in a seismic area like the one around L'Aquila," the civil protection agency said in a statement on the eve of that meeting.

"It is useful to underline that it is not in any way possible to predict an earthquake," it said, adding that the agency saw no reason for alarm but was nonetheless effecting "continuous monitoring and attention".

As the media asked questions about the authorities' alleged failure to safeguard the population ahead of the quake, the head of the National Geophysics Institute dismissed Giuliani's predictions.

"Every time there is an earthquake there are people who claim to have predicted it," he said. "As far as I know nobody predicted this earthquake with precision. It is not possible to predict earthquakes."

Enzo Boschi said the real problem for Italy was a long-standing failure to take proper precautions despite a history of tragic quakes.

"We have earthquakes but then we forget and do nothing. It's not in our culture to take precautions or build in an appropriate way in areas where there could be strong earthquakes," he said.

Looks like the Sci-Fi network is going to have to get a new plot template for their made for TV movies: Italy has apparently confiscated it.

Italy is my favorite peninsula, but I wonder what triggered the earthquake.

For a tiny country it has 2 of the biggest fault lines in western Europe running through it.

Thoughts and prayers to the Motherland, especially Abruzzo.

I just read about the aftershock. It's very sad. My uncle is in Italy but he doesn't live in this region so he's safe. But still, my heart goes to the victims and their family.

:(

Take care,

Ieshwar