Naked Boys Singing

Rilbur

I subscribe to the Netflix service, and every once in a while 'interesting' movies pop up that it thanks I might like -- and in this case, that you might :D .

On the bar it dedicates to musicals, something caught my eye. I laughed, and just had to 'check it out'. It's risque -- oh boy is it risque! -- but it's absolutely hilarious. If you think society's 'morals' with regard to nudity need a great big finger in its eye, it's called "Naked Boys Singing". It's rated NR (technically, that means "Not Rated), presumably because of the 'no crudity, just gratuitous nudity!' they sing about at the start of the show. This show stands... outside the normal rating system. R for nudity? But there's so much of it -- and the humor is so sexual! X for sex? But there isn't any (unless you count suggestions).

Some of the songs are very witty and amusing (The Bliss of a Bris); some are rather... childish and immature (I beat my Meat), and some fall in the middle (The Naked Maid). But even the worst of them is a good laugh. Some of them make (or attempt to make) points about society (Robert Mitchum) while others just make fun of certain human tendencies (Members Only). One of them brought tears to my eyes when I realized it addressed teen suicide (Kris, Look What You've Missed) -- at least, that's what I think it addresses, they aren't very clear on it. Kris is dead, but it's only implied in the subtext of the song that it's suicide.

Overall, I loved the musical and would highly recommend it to any adult individuals that aren't prepared to take automatic offense at nudity. Actually, I imagine any high school student could watch it... despite what the law says about kids and sexuality, I think we can all agree that 'locker room talk', 'girl talk', and the like are pretty... graphic and descriptive, moreso even than this.

• 1 month later...