Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Open Club  ·  292 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Belvidera

Mark Arbour

What an exciting chapter 19 turned out to be. I was so glad that Granger was able to help John Travers the way he did. What he went through was one of the worst things that can happen. It's difficult to get past it. Granger is an amazing person all the way around. Now, where is Mr. Calvert? I think it's time for George to spend some time with him!

Calvert...I don't know where he is. I wanted this chapter to show how Granger is changing from an adolescent into a man.

What a powerful meaty chapter.

First, a moment of quiet please for the loss of Mr Lennox . . . . :,((sniff, sniff):hug:

Roby needs a little straightening out. He stepped waaaaay over the limits. He should be glad it was Granger. Of course there is that old saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt" Perhaps getting his mounds separated a couple times By Granger and his First will bring around a little humility. :mace:

I loved the "Rats back in the chart room" line.:wub: It brought a delightful smile to my face. And Mark, you wrote this so well that upon Sir John's departure even "my" sphincter relaxed! I was so afraid an article 28 was going to occur. Sir John had to hear the rats too. And speaking of rats, about time for Ranger to make a cameo isn't it?

Since Jervis did not permit Mann to have Granger then it stands to reason that Jervis sees no favor in him. I expect that he may have a little gift for Granger when they meet. Perhaps Mann's group will be reduced to the importance of a mail ship or a supply ship forced to re-supply Granger and the rest of the fleet. And with such orders that Granger will get a chuckle out of it.:thumbup:

And Granger with Lord Nelson! I sense so serious butt kicking and name taking coming up. That is certainly the "A" team. And being with Nelson means there will be even more prizes. I am sure Mann will be mad as hell. :2thumbs:

I can't wait for the next chapter. Robey in waiting! And if he doesn't learn quick and he tries to bully Granger, he could end up kissing the gunnar's daughter. Especially if he does it in front of someone else in the crew. Not something usually done to a lieutenant so it will be twice as humiliating and we know how much Granger hates to mar a beautiful body with the whip. But Roby needs to come down a peg or two.

Just one question Mark. :whistle:Can we watch?:*)

Mann is a real-life admiral, and a hack. He ended up doing one of the stupidest things ever.

• Like 1

[quote name='Mark Arbour' date='02 April 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1270254655' post='241938'

Mann is a real-life admiral, and a hack. He ended up doing one of the stupidest things ever.

Saweeet! Since you didn't expound on that then I guess we can expect to read about it in some future chapter. And that will give Granger something to smile at.

And Granger did indeed cross the threshold into a mature adult. He took charge and saved Traver's life in no uncertain terms.

What remains is whether or not he can remove the slim stain of manipulation from Roby's persona. Having control of the captaincy without recourse could make one drunk with power. So did Roby do it to protect Travers or to control him. Was it love or was it power? Or did it start from love and change over time? The entire ship felt it. Granger sensed it when he came on board.

I think this may be an important play yet to be made. If he tries that on board Granger's ship well like I say, humiliation is a valuable tool.

Chapter 20 was interesting. Is it just my imagination or does it seem that Granger loves Freddie even more than he did John Travers and Calvert? It seems that way to me. The little green monster, from what I remember, had only come out where Travers was concerned even though he seems to be denying it now. Clinton really does seem to be a nasty, arrogant little bugger. It's good to see his lowered rank has brought some much needed humility. I look forward to seeing him develop further.

• Like 2

Alright, am I permitted to have an all time favorite chapter? This would be among the top. :2thumbs:

I love to think about the arrogant little whelp Clifton, breeches at half mast and kissing the gunnar's daughter before they even got out of port.

And with Sir John watching the boy's sideways smile gracing the carronade through his glass as the ship went by. It was almost like a second salute to Jervis, his cries as the cane landed, the report. The fact that Granger tipped his hat to Sir John and wasn't even paying attention to the lad and his situation behind him had to please Sir John immensely. Especially if he also got news of the chests going overboard.

I suspect the sound of the boy's screams the first few times the cane landed could be heard in port. It will be interesting to see how the family back home receives word of this. Even if the lad matures, the family may think unkindly of the embarrassment. I suspect they will be happier with a son who is proud and accomplished having recognized his folly. Unless of course this was the normal way maturity was expected to occur in influential families. Kind of a finishing school for boys if you will. "Send them to sea! Make a man out of them!"

This one is my favorites so far. It will be difficult to beat. (Pardon the pun.) (And no I'm not into that rough stuff. But I have to say that the Gunnar's Daughter is a favorite punishment because it's affects are more humility than lasting abuse.) But I would be delighted to be a fly on the wall at the next meeting between Sir John and Granger.

(A note about the gunnar's daughter. The Caronade being the stop/guide for the cane on the way to it's intended target would land the strike in roughly the same location. A cat's whiskers effect. Ouch! And as with flogging, I am sure a bucket of seawater terminated the punishment; it's intent was to prevent infection. The salt being the disinfectant and the preventative. Hence the phrase, rubbing salt into the wound. It would certainly sting give the lad a few days of firm memories.)

One question remains in my mind and is potentially a serious problem. Is Clifton's family familiar to Nelson? If their families are close he could spot the lad in seaman's clothing and find himself in embarrasment if he doesn't intervene. And possibly even seek retribution in answer to the expected demand when the family finds out. For Nelson not to have dealt with it would almost be an endorsement of Granger's actions, regardless of the fact that the lad had it coming and should have been put ashore and sent home in disgrace.

As for the relationship with Cavendish. What will be even more interesting is what will happen there when Roby wants to get laid by Granger. He certainly will not want to hurt Cavendish but Roby has been there before and the ship is not the only thing Granger apparently has Mastered. But who now will be there for Roby? Will Granger go off if Cavendish and Roby are found together? Will he have to send Cavendish away from him because he can't have someone he feels so strongly about, that near to him? Will his jealousy affect his command? Could he be destroyed over it? And will Clifton be a homophobe or a conquest? Will he leverage Article 28 to his advantage? Blackmail? There are a lot of directions this story could go. None of them fare well for Granger however. Unless of course by some miracle Granger and Cavendish decide on a threesome and Clifton gets washed overboard.

For a moment I was confused thinking the three were having supper together. Not realizing one was lunch and one was dinner. I thought Roby was speaking rather freely to also be in front of Cavendish. But soon sorted it.

Ricky, my guess is that Clifton's father sent him into the navy to straighten him up. That was not at all unusual. I don't think Nelson would intervene in the situation, because he would be the one to catch hell from Sir John if Clifton didn't change his ways. Also, you'd have to assume that Nelson was going to HMS, Belvidera when Granger was the one leaving his own ship. Thus, he might not even see Clifton at all. I have serious doubts that even Clifton's family will object to him having much better manners when he returns to London. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

Wow! Clifton has been truly humbled, and he prefers being part of the crew rather than a midshipman. I'd say that Granger's work is done. If ever he does decide to be a midshipman again, he will still be very popular with the crew, and that's a very good thing. In other news, Granger is now on a dangerous mission within days of meeting with Captain Nelson. He knows that failure is not an option. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter to see how he fairs against the Frog.

• Like 1

Dearest Mark,

I am in receipt of your most recent chapter of HMS, Belvadier. I have read it enthusiastically and with great fervor.

Let me say how endearing I found Clifton to be. The thought of his rosy red crackling little butt alight the carronade well "behind" him so to speak.

Regarding the recent chapter ending however I find myself forced to colloquette my emotions. I shall do so here in the extreme base in which I live having read it. Be forewarned that this will no longer be a PG-13 thread. Please act accordingly.

You fornicating son of a fatherless child! Did your cliff hanger crown feel threatened? AHHHHHH!

We, your royal patronage would NEVER endanger the crown! I myself have even stopped writing cliff hangers all together just so you wouldn't feel threatened! I am severely disappointed that you would try and sensationalize on such a common ploy. Almost, well kinda sorta. . . Well alright no one could touch your record if they tried.

I hope you don't expect us to wait the full week before you tell us that both Roberts and Clifton are killed in the action. And that Granger seeks solace in Mr Roby's arms.

Granger will of course go to the family and tell Clifton's father how he had changed and how much he admired the man he had become before he was used as cannon fodder.

I can't believe you have become a fanatical cliff hangerer. Man, talk about power going to your head!

Sheesh!

Just a quick note to say that I'm still enjoying the series. It's been a nice light read in the sudden madness of my life. :)

I'm enjoying it as well. I can't wait until the next chapter is out! It's nice to know you're still around somewhere Celia. Take care. :) Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2

Awesome chapter! Wow, I think George had a big time wake-up call. He's getting a little too cocky, and it almost cost him his ship. That would have been a disaster. Luckily Freddie is very perceptive, and he helped George figure things out before it was too late. Now, there's a race to get back to Jervis and warn him about the sneaky frogs! My BWS is temporarily cured, but I already am ready for more!

• Like 1

A fantastic chapter. And all arrived safely. Well the frogs didn't make it but . . .

Cavendish is a bright clear headed lad. He will be the next Granger I suspect. Granger is becoming Nelson and Cavendish is becoming Granger, Fitting I think. And what about Clifton! Standing watch and a target for the French were there action. But I'm sure he saw what they did to the French. Sobering I suspect.

Fascinating that they all were ready and even eager to follow him blindly. The trend can not continue. Loss is inevitable. And it will land hard when it is one the crew all loved.

Let the ship change her name to Walgreens.

Mark, I love the Box. But this is a masterpiece without Rival. I shall be converting it to audio for my long drives into the city. (That of COURSE was a request for permission to copy it for personal use and consumption.)

As far as I am concerned you can take this one on right up to the current day. month by month. I can't get enough of it.

At the very least, take it to the point where Granger's oldest signs on as a midshipman on Cavendish's Ship. That would be about right age wise I think. Cavendish would be between 25 and 30. That would make Granger's oldest about 15 or so.

Yes, that would be a very nice sentiment to end with. And Granger of course would be relegated to the admiralty by then, grumpy and complaining about having to serve at a desk!

He would then have to steal waste cans to salvage a prize! Oh the shame of it all! lol

• Like 1

Just a quick note to say that I'm still enjoying the series. It's been a nice light read in the sudden madness of my life. Posted Image

I don't think this is "Light reading" anymore to me.....i love how this story has captured my attention more then the CAP series has....if i compared the two...this one wins hands down......minus the sex. I think the sex was somehow better in the Cap series....espeically in "Be-Rad" and "Man in motion" when we had the french guy....and jack stripped down nude passed out on a couch in the hall....priceless....(surprisin i remember that eh???) like the sex is good, but i don't feel it's....realistic anymore....granger is a little slut and somehow he can just be a captain and get away with it all....how come one of the watches havent beat to quarters while he's doing it with someone....like honestly the chances....are probably slim....but maybe not....either way i can see your perverted ness coming through the curtains :) not that, that is a bad thing hehehe.

Anyway Onto the current chapter. I loved how granger handled the french ship, which took a beating.....but kinda sad that he didn't get the idea that someone or something else might be coming around....oh well Nelson is priceless as usual, and well frankly the description of the battle was glorious. Plus Granger even Cringed at killing people, so chances of him becoming a tyrant like wilcox is slim.

Question though....did the first shot go right into the Captian and his officers dining??? that's kinda rudE! It's like yummmm suppper....ooops...i'm dead instead. *Hi God, i forgot to eat my supper before i died may i get some food* <<No offence to anyone bearing any Religious view, I am only trying to be funny.....get it.....trying. Well that went flat.

I was told in chat i am very suicidal lately....so

Mark M: Kills himself by eating glass for not being funny.

Mark M As a Ghost: Sooo.....now that i'm creeping on this form i'll keep it short....oohhhh......i liked the chapter and wish to here more.....plus i'm technically done school next thursday so next Wednesday night would be a Perfect time for any posting of stories for a celebration of me being able to move back to my hometown for a bit!!

Peace out..

Dead Mark M~

I don't think this is "Light reading" anymore to me.....i love how this story has captured my attention more then the CAP series has....if i compared the two...this one wins hands down......

We agree on something! That has to be worth a drink or two. Cheers!

The big question is whether or not Granger will over think this and decide that having Cavendish onboard is impairing his judgement and thus endangering the rest of the men as well as the ship.

That is the real fear. And if that were to pass, would Freddie act like a scorned lover?

Tell me Mark, were any Captains ever hung over the articles of buggery? (27 or 28 what ever it was)

well in 1816 4 memebers of the crew were called on it....and 2 were kills 2 sentanced to 200 lashes due to unclenlyness, the last exucution was in 1835... so we could still see some excecutions.....just saying....as for a captain....who knows. it could've happened and then covered up or untold, by the british admirilty......who knows. :P

I duno i just don't like this relationship of them. Calvert was ok. Travers was ok. This just isn't working for me....and now he's in "love again"

Realisticly i wouldn't think there'd be this much sex....but since this is fiction...well....so be it. :P i feel like i should be doing what men do alone to each chapter or something.....but i'm not... :S Mark A isn't well.....keeping me wanting more...so to speak. That's my only Criticism. :)

The History and Storyline is amazing!! :)

*Hear Hear to Beers*

you do realise ur having a beer with a ghost right?

Dead Mark M~

well in 1816 4 memebers of the crew were called on it....and 2 were kills 2 sentanced to 200 lashes due to unclenlyness, the last exucution was in 1835... so we could still see some excecutions.....just saying....as for a captain....who knows. it could've happened and then covered up or untold, by the british admirilty......who knows. :P

I duno i just don't like this relationship of them. Calvert was ok. Travers was ok. This just isn't working for me....and now he's in "love again"

Realisticly i wouldn't think there'd be this much sex....but since this is fiction...well....so be it. :P i feel like i should be doing what men do alone to each chapter or something.....but i'm not... :S Mark A isn't well.....keeping me wanting more...so to speak. That's my only Criticism. :)

The History and Storyline is amazing!! :)

*Hear Hear to Beers*

you do realise ur having a beer with a ghost right?

Dead Mark M~

It appears to be a stuttering ghost at that!

No worries, I'm used to it.

As for the sex. You do realized that we are having excerpts of a month so for each occurrence this could possibly be the only time that month that he was with him. I personally like Cavendish. Not as much as Lennox but I like him. He is bright, clever and daring. All excellent qualities of a Captain.

It is nearing time for Granger to be recalled. His wife should be coming down with pneumonia or something right?

It appears to be a stuttering ghost at that!

No worries, I'm used to it.

As for the sex. You do realized that we are having excerpts of a month so for each occurrence this could possibly be the only time that month that he was with him. I personally like Cavendish. Not as much as Lennox but I like him. He is bright, clever and daring. All excellent qualities of a Captain.

It is nearing time for Granger to be recalled. His wife should be coming down with pneumonia or something right?

No! Caroline is a good woman. We don't want her to die. In his own way, George loves her, and she knows that he likes me now. She didn't ask for a divorce. She didn't have him executed. She's standing by him. If that's not a good woman, I don't know that a good woman exists. :o

No! Caroline is a good woman. We don't want her to die. In his own way, George loves her, and she knows that he likes me now. She didn't ask for a divorce. She didn't have him executed. She's standing by him. If that's not a good woman, I don't know that a good woman exists. :o

YOU are not travers. And being good has nothing to do with it. Didn't you ever watch things like great expectations or ones like that? :blink: The good women ALWAYS die of pneumonia.

It's just how it's done. :music:

YOU are not travers. And being good has nothing to do with it. Didn't you ever watch things like great expectations or ones like that? :blink: The good women ALWAYS die of pneumonia.

It's just how it's done. :music:

Funny, I don't remember there being any nice women in Great Expectations. Pip's sister was a bitch. Havisham was a bitch. Estella was definitely a bitch, which was ironic considering that he had a major hard-on for her. Then again, I read that when I was either a sophomore or a junior in high school, so maybe I've forgotten too much of it. :P Edited by Tiger

Caroline....deaD?!??!?! WHAT!! THE CHILDREN!!! SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!!.....thats just sad....

and is it really time? i feel the sales are still new and etc....

Plus if tiger is travers i'm Calvert :P

And i never thought of it...in times of months....as the last two chapters were consecutive times....within a night...

wierd....umm...

anyway continue guys ><

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..