Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Belvidera

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I loved the last chapter in this story. I really felt it set Granger up for his next big adventure, I know it takes a lot of time to research and write this type of story and I can't wait to see what you do next.

This is one of my favorite series, I really love anything historical and appreciate all the research that you do in getting the settings right. I realize that I do get impatient but then I have to think about the fact you do have a life away from the keyboard.

I want to say a true thank you for taking the time and having the talent to put something this good on paper and bringing it to life so wonderfully. I look forward to the next story in the Bridgemont series...

:worship: :worship: :worship:

I really enjoyed this whole story Mark - really fantastic. The last chapter was a good closer. I did openly cringe at the mistakes in the "investiture" as a Knight of the Bath, but only a geek like me is going to notice those sorts of inaccuracies :P

All in all - a really exceptional story..... SO.... When's the next one?

If you have any insights on how things should have been different at the investiture, let me know. I scoured the net looking for resources on that, and couldn't really find anything order-specific or era-specific. I found a huge void between the medieval ceremonies and the modern rituals. The only thing that was apparent was that by the late 1700s most of the old medieval rituals had been abandoned (like the bath the night before, which is a shame. Granger would have loved that!). I can always edit!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I loved the last chapter in this story. I really felt it set Granger up for his next big adventure, I know it takes a lot of time to research and write this type of story and I can't wait to see what you do next.

This is one of my favorite series, I really love anything historical and appreciate all the research that you do in getting the settings right. I realize that I do get impatient but then I have to think about the fact you do have a life away from the keyboard.

I want to say a true thank you for taking the time and having the talent to put something this good on paper and bringing it to life so wonderfully. I look forward to the next story in the Bridgemont series...

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Thanks! I've got ideas on the next story, but I'll need to take some time to flesh them out. It will arrive, though, so don't lose patience.

• Like 1

I loved the way you wrapped it up, a perfect pause in Grangers life before the start of the war.

I admire how you make George seem so humble, that he doesn't realize it's his own actions that earned his knighthood. He assumed that both Caroline and Spencer had a hand in arranging it. I am glad that Spencer pointed that out to him. I can't wait till we see his promotion to Admiral, because you know that 'right place/ right time George' will be in the right place and right time to take over for some admiral that just had his ship obliterated. He's only in his 20's but wars tend to cut through the senior ranks of officers.

Anyway loved it loved it loved it. Can't wait for you to begin the next one, but I appreciate the time it takes to research something like this.

By the way,I saw where ya'll mentioned Horatio Hornblower and I really liked the movie and books. I took a literature of the sea class in college and we had to compare a movie to a book and I chose a Hornblower movie. Gregory Peck never looked better and a very young Christopher Lee was a captain on another boat I think. Even though I only had to read one of the books, I ended up reading all of them. I was at Texas A&M at the time, and I think I was the only girl in the class with a bunch of Corps of Cadets guys looking for an easy literature elective. Needless to say I really enjoyed that class. And the prof was an old Navy guy who used to tell stories almost as much as he talked about the books we were supposed to be reading. It was great.

I loved the way you wrapped it up, a perfect pause in Grangers life before the start of the war.

I admire how you make George seem so humble, that he doesn't realize it's his own actions that earned his knighthood. He assumed that both Caroline and Spencer had a hand in arranging it. I am glad that Spencer pointed that out to him. I can't wait till we see his promotion to Admiral, because you know that 'right place/ right time George' will be in the right place and right time to take over for some admiral that just had his ship obliterated. He's only in his 20's but wars tend to cut through the senior ranks of officers.

Anyway loved it loved it loved it. Can't wait for you to begin the next one, but I appreciate the time it takes to research something like this.

By the way,I saw where ya'll mentioned Horatio Hornblower and I really liked the movie and books. I took a literature of the sea class in college and we had to compare a movie to a book and I chose a Hornblower movie. Gregory Peck never looked better and a very young Christopher Lee was a captain on another boat I think. Even though I only had to read one of the books, I ended up reading all of them. I was at Texas A&M at the time, and I think I was the only girl in the class with a bunch of Corps of Cadets guys looking for an easy literature elective. Needless to say I really enjoyed that class. And the prof was an old Navy guy who used to tell stories almost as much as he talked about the books we were supposed to be reading. It was great.

CS Forester's Hornblower series is what inspired me to write this one. It's always been my favorite of the genre. The books are SO MUCH BETTER than the movie or miniseries.

• Like 1

Byes HMS! i loved you!!! :) Is Granger getting a new ship? because the only way to stop it being HMS Belvidera (which is nolonger known or even thought of once being the ship of sickness). Anyway I'm excited for Grangers 90-gun-ship-of-the-line :D hahaha!

• 4 weeks later...

I served ten years as a "Surface Line" Naval Office on frigates and destroyers. i had the misfortune to work alongside two Admirals son's. One was the son of the Cheif of Naval Operations Officer (CNO), who killed himself. The other was third generation Naval Officer. The defference they recieved from our superiors was sickening. The Captain, who demanded they perform their duties like the rest of us, was rare so rare in fact I never personally witnessed it. I only heard stories about them. The Captains I saw were afraid for their careers. They diidn't want to piss-off "Daddy". Nepotism, is alive and well in the 21st Century. i get pissed just remembering this stuff. Sorry.

That is a big part of the admiration I enjoy for George's character (both definitions). His career is on the line when he offends/displeases/punishess the offspring of his superiors, just as surely as having gay sex. Remember the U.S. Naval academy was started, in part, because the Secretary of the Navy's son was hanged for treason, as a midshipman, on board a ship at sea.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Once more am late to the party but I am going to disagree with you a bit Mark, I think this one is better than the last one. (You said Master and Commander was your favorite.)

I can't even imagine the time that went into researching all these stories. Not that I would know if things are accurate or not, but they sure seem true to life and since this is NOT a learned Treatise but rather a wonderful novel - it doesn't matter too much if things are 100% accurate.

So aside from Nelson, which other Naval figures are true? The Wilcox clan? I think you alluded in a response that Jervis was real. What about Chatham? Spencer? Hood? Howe? Mann? Linzee? Hotham? I suspect many of them were real figures though I can't image you made them all true to life.

One last question - do you have St. Vincent completely written before you started posting or are you writing/reviewing/editing as you go? I ask because HMS took more than a year to post so you didn't post a chapter a week, meaning there was no schedule for posting. Which suggests it wasn't done until after you started posting.

Andy

Once more am late to the party but I am going to disagree with you a bit Mark, I think this one is better than the last one. (You said Master and Commander was your favorite.)

I can't even imagine the time that went into researching all these stories. Not that I would know if things are accurate or not, but they sure seem true to life and since this is NOT a learned Treatise but rather a wonderful novel - it doesn't matter too much if things are 100% accurate.

So aside from Nelson, which other Naval figures are true? The Wilcox clan? I think you alluded in a response that Jervis was real. What about Chatham? Spencer? Hood? Howe? Mann? Linzee? Hotham? I suspect many of them were real figures though I can't image you made them all true to life.

One last question - do you have St. Vincent completely written before you started posting or are you writing/reviewing/editing as you go? I ask because HMS took more than a year to post so you didn't post a chapter a week, meaning there was no schedule for posting. Which suggests it wasn't done until after you started posting.

Andy

Chatham? Spencer? Hood? Howe? Mann? Linzee? Hotham? All of these guys were real.

I start posting as soon as I'm a few chapters into a story. That's why sometimes I post more frequently or less frequently. Sometimes I'll get a bit ahead, and have some chapters in hand, but lately it's been pretty much when they're done, they get published.

I like doing it that way. Most readers here are pretty patient, and I think they trust me to finish up the story and to post as often as I can. More importantly, the feedback in the forums and the reviews is really helpful. It tells me if I'm getting the characters right, and it reminds me of things I may be forgetting.

Is there anyway of turning off the review notification because it’s been worse than spam mail this last 24 hours? :P

Grumpy bastard I know, but still suffering from the weekends booze fest. :wacko:

• Like 1

Is there anyway of turning off the review notification because it’s been worse than spam mail this last 24 hours? :P

Grumpy bastard I know, but still suffering from the weekends booze fest. :wacko:

I think you get those when you "like" a story. You could try "unliking" HMS Belvidera and see if that stops them. Just don't unlike it for real. :D

No need to unlike it, I'm done! They only let you review a story once. I think you're safe for a time, at least until someone else comes along and plasters the place with reviews. :P

• 7 months later...

Mark,

I just wanted to say I really love your stories especially the ones with George Granger in them. My dad gave me a link to your stories and I have been reading them almost every day. He writes stories too but said you are one of his favorite writers too. It is really good and I can't wait to read more. I also was wondering if there was any openings for midshipmen (I'm 15). I would like to go sailing and be on a ship. Posted Image Your stories are awesome and my dad is reading them as well but I think I will catch up to him cause he reads really slow I guess. Thanks for writing and letting me read them Posted Image

Edited by Bimeny
  • Like 3

Mark,

I just wanted to say I really love your stories especially the ones with George Granger in them. My dad gave me a link to your stories and I have been reading them almost every day. He writes stories too but said you are one of his favorite writers too. It is really good and I can't wait to read more. I also was wondering if there was any openings for midshipmen (I'm 15). I would like to go sailing and be on a ship. Posted Image Your stories are awesome and my dad is reading them as well but I think I will catch up to him cause he reads really slow I guess. Thanks for writing and letting me read them Posted Image

That is so awesome that your dad recommended my stories to you. Who's your father? I'm glad you like them! Posted Image

These have been a lot of fun to write. I've kind of locked myself into a pattern for the next few stories, to parallel history, but then I get to break out again. Posted Image

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..