I want to do this

Daisy

I want to travel. I don't want to stay in one place. I want to see as much of the world as I can. But really see it. Not just beach-hop.

I'm sure my dad doesn't think it's possible. And at the moment I don't really know how I would do it either. But the idea still appeals, and has never gone away. It's the only thing that I have always known I've wanted to do. Even if jobwise my ideas and convictions have been all over the place.

Right now I've not felt the urge as strongly, mainly because I've not been feeling well in myself. But this would so be great. I need to get my up and go again. And travelling gives you a buzz, and adrenalin kick. Especially whenever you move to the new place.

But as the people in the article say, you need to be able to trust people. Even in places you probably shouldn't. And be ready to make friends where-ever you are, and quickly. Cut short, you need confidence. But I think I have it :). When I travel it comes out in me more, there really is no need to be shy, just the need to step up and say hello.

I don't think I would like to do it on my own though. One friend would be great. When I was in europe there was three of us and it was great. My problem is finding a friend to do that with me. So far they aren't as interested as me, or bogged down in lives :).

What do you think? Something you'd do as well? or have you done something similar and any tips or tales?

http://www.guardian....ravelling-world

celia

Edited by Smarties
  • Like 1

Dang. Well Dang. Even if I didn't travel the nomad way. I would love to make money from the net. Dang. What a proposition.

I already do :). But it requires that I be in one place, at least part of the time. And at the moment it's not enough to live on.

It's more the travelling I want. I just have to work out how to fund it. If I did it, I would be abandoning the web money, or rather letting my sister do it on her own, and at the moment that would mean the money would dry up as it would fail.

and dang, you are using dang a lot :).

Edited by Smarties

hahahahaha God, you're already thinking about fleeing the country to escape from the cold. :P

oh, I've been doing that a lot longer than this storm. Whenever it drizzles in fact :):P. Every winter makes the urges stronger, at least to somehow spend half the year abroad. I don't know how you can cope with Canada.

Guest kayden

This is my dream, also. I want to travel the world, visit every country and experience every culture. Traveling is a better education than anything else, including university. (Although, I dropped out of high school, so I may be biased...) I'm interested in backpacking around the world, not only because it's cheap but also because there's no better way to truly experience other countries except living in them on a long-term basis. I'm no luxury-resort tenant; put me in a hostel or even on a park bench and I'll be happy. :)

I plan on leaving within the next year for Europe, traveling around in the various countries there for awhile, and then either working my way down into the Middle East and then into Africa, or going east into Russia and down into Asia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I'll have to go wherever I can find the cheapest transportation to, of course. The most expensive trip will be from wherever I end up from one of those two routes over into South America.

Anyway, I'm working on setting up an online income, and also planning on making some money with non-online writing. I figure I can travel for about $1500(USD) per month, which I should be able to make between online revenue and writing gigs. I can do those things from anywhere around the world as long as I can get internet access once a month or so.

Like you, I've been wondering if I could travel alone. I'm one of those rare individuals that has no ties holding him back from traveling. I have no family, no bills or debts, no career, no obligations keeping me here. All of my friends have all those things, and therefore cannot go on a long-term, globe-trotting adventure with me. I think going it alone is not such a bad thing; part of the grand experience of traveling is getting out of your comfort zone, and it's possible friends could be made along the way that wouldn't be made if you had been with somebody else. Then again, there's a lot of places females shouldn't be traveling alone. I bet you could travel to the other places first, though, and most likely meet people who would be more than happy to travel with you to the other places.

I dunno. I'd like to think I could find a travel mate within the next year before I set off, but if I don't I'll just hit the road alone. I want to travel more than anything, and I'm not going to let the fact that I'm basically a "loser" without any like-minded friends get in the way of my dreams. Don't let your own dream die, either! In closing, some words of wisdom:

"Obstacles are those things you see only when take your eyes off your goal."

Oh, I forgot to mention: so far I've been to Canada, South Korea, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, and Australia, but as you may imagine, they weren't all exactly "pleasure trips". :P I've also been in the airports of Germany, Ireland, and Iceland, but those really can't count, then, can they? :(

Airports are interesting :). No I'm not joking. I'm one of those freakish people who actually likes the travel part. And they usually tell you a lot about a place.

Even if it's military, you've still had experiences, one's that I can't replicate and which will undoubtedly have given you a completely different insight. maybe that's why we both like reading :).

yeah, there is that female thing. And I keep turning it over in my head, should I let other people's conceived idea's about what is appropriate and safe stop me, or is it really unsafe. in the UK at least, from research I've read, women really aren't the victims of violence as much as people worry. But the idea of travelling to places that have different, restrictive, cultural codes for women alone makes me squirm. I don't think I could do it. A friend travelled to Pakistan a few years ago on her own. She's white and born in the UK, but she went there to do medical research. She's still a medical student, probably 22 maybe. On her own, and the taliban were turning up in places she was exploring and where she was advised not to go to. I thought she was mad. For a bit of a holiday afterwards she was hoping to travel in Iran, but her visa wasn't approved in time. She was looking into how to get around the problem of male supervision being required for medical checkups on women and the family's insisting that women pretty much, no literally, never leaving their homes. And therefore a chronic shortage of healthcare visitors as they were more needed than those that work at hospitals, and how even if the family let females train, once they were trained they often prevented them from then working. I can't remember what her conclusions were. But she knew some people over there and visited them a bit. I remember how she told me how the guy had told her not to go into a market and wait in the car instead for him to come back. Then once she'd left his house going there pretty much immediately. And how the men pretty much stripped her with their eyes, and once accidentally having her coverings showing a slit. She was completely unfazed, and I think probably stupid.

I'm not sure where I want to go. At least first. South America has suddenly become an interest though.

While I was travelling in eastern europe a year ago, there was a girl discussing exactly what you said about picking up friends as you travel or arranging to meet them in other places, and how she was travelling on her own. and of course would never travel with a newbie again :). But I can understand that, it did take us a while to get into the swing of travelling and not make stupid mistakes or panic :).

I slept on a beach in croatia :). Though I wouldn't have done that on my own.

I'm not going to let it slip me by. I've just realised though that it really is the Only thing I ever have known I've wanted to do and not changed my mind about. It had to be a feature in whatever I did. So maybe in my not doing anything at the moment stage, I should follow up on this :):D

I've been to a fair few places now. Some obviously more thoroughly than others. I've been very lucky as my mum's had the travelling bug as well, and intermittently had the money which she didn't bother spending on a mortgage. Morocco, Egypt, Sri Lanka, all explored fairly well.

eastern europe flying tour (mainly two or three big cities or towns)

Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Austria (Vienna).

While sailing (so only a little time in port)

Stavanger (Norway), Denmark (Aalborg), Belgium (Antwerp), Portugal (La Coruna), Germany (forgotten the name of the port, not touristy at all, Helgaland an island nearby though).

I've been to Lake Tahoe and San Francisco briefly.

Jamaica, but again I didn't or couldn't explore. Turkey, France of course various parts, Berlin (amazing!), Spain various places - also try Sitges, it seems to be their gay capital (not that my dad realised at the time he booked it :)) it's near Barcelona, Ibiza, Lanzarote, probably a few other smaller spanish islands with parents when younger, same with Portugal.

Oh, South Africa, though that definitly was not in anyway a pleasure trip, and I didn't get to travel, but it was most definitely a cultural 5 week experience.

Gosh, that is embarrassing. I am ridiculously spoilt. But we've also been lucky that we know a fair few friends abroad who've let us stay with them.

Oh, Gibraltar.

Edited by Smarties
Guest kayden

Airports are interesting :). No I'm not joking. I'm one of those freakish people who actually likes the travel part. And they usually tell you a lot about a place.

Ha!

Ha! I'm one of those people, too! Iceland was interesting, because they weren't going to let us off the plane because the Icelandic people were apparently very critical of the US military's involvement in Iraq, (or maybe they just hated Americans in general, I can't remember...), but the co-pilot was a native Icelander and actually talked to the people in the airport and we were allowed to go into the airport because of him. The people were very un-friendly, though not rude, and I was disappointed that none of them were willing to talk at all. Then again, we were all walking around in our uniforms and probably didn't exactly look approachable. :/

You were lucky then :).

I've always loved the experience of traveling. I love layovers and enjoy being in an airport for several hours and experiencing what I can in the small taste of the culture that I can get. When other people make airline travel arrangements for me they always do their best to make layovers as short as possible, and I usually end up running from one gate to another without even seeing anything. I always try to explain to them that I don't mind being in the airport for eight hours, I actually WANT that, but they never understand. When I was seven or eight I once traveled with my brother and he freaked out when things didn't go as planned. I was so excited that we'd get to spend some time in the "foreign" airport, (it was just Canada, but to a kid with my imagination it was Never Neverland...), and he got so pissed at me for being so happy and not-worried that he punched me. Ha! I took off running and did my own thing and had some fun exploring while he panicked and had security looking for me. :lol: I've never lost that sense of adventure, and I love when things go wrong in the airport! :boy:

The strangest airport I've been to is Abu Dhabi. Or rather it sticks in my mind anyway. I was travelling alone to Johannesburg at the time. Had about 6 hours there. Didn't like the toilets, that's one thing about travelling to different places that I Don't like.

Yeah, it was definitely an interesting experience to be in countries like South Korea and Iraq, and not only get to see a great deal of things that nobody else gets to see, but also to do things most people don't get to do while there. Ever jumped the median, floored the gas pedal, and driven straight into oncoming traffic? I didn't think so. :) Good times, noodle salad. B)

nope, not something I've done :).

"Putting your life in danger IS real living; everything else is just television." (quote from the movie "The Hunting Party", by a reporter in post-war Bosnia-Herzegovina hunting for a war criminal for "an interview".)

When I went to Iraq, people asked me if I was scared. Whether it was just to deal with the fear, or if I really just wasn't scared, I dunno, but I told everyone that I didn't feel in any more danger there than I do in America. We got shot at and had bombs blow up next to our trucks and mortars land near our tents, but even here at home there's always something lurking behind every corner ready to take my life. You may or may not have heard of this shooting at the Las Vegas Federal Courthouse recently. Just weeks ago I quit my job as a security officer at the Las Vegas [Clark] County Courthouse. That dead security officer could very well have been me. Additionally, I live not two blocks from the courthouse where this happened. Or, I could have a heart attack right now. I could step outside to smoke a cigarette, trip on the threshold, crack my head open, and bleed to death. I could have cancer right now and not even know until tomorrow right before I succumb to it and die. There are risks no matter we do, you just have to ask yourself what's worth the risks we take? Personally, despite me mentioning it, I wouldn't let the fact that you're a female stop me. Don't consider that advice, though. But I wouldn't let apparent dangers, even life-threatening ones, stop you from living your dreams. No dream is too small to risk your life for, in my opinion, and no life is worth living if you're not living your dreams. But again, don't jump the next plane to Iran wearing a mini skirt and tube top based on my philosophies.

I want to go everywhere. :) I figured Europe first because it would "break me into" the cultural shock a bit easier, than say...China. On a tight budget, however, I'll have to go wherever is the cheapest. I think this is an interesting way to travel also. Say I'm in Fiji, and I find a special deal on insanely cheap tickets to Ecuador. Ecuador it is! You never know where you'll be next month if you travel this way, and I think that's exciting! Plus, it saves me the trouble of having to choose between all of the countless countries I want to visit. B)

Stupid mistakes are my favorites; they make for the best stories later on! :boy: And since it's relevant, I'd like to quote Lord Henry Wotton, my favorite character in one of my favorite books, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde: "Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

Oh my god! You are spoiled! I'm so jealous! Someday (hopefully starting within the year) I'll visit all those countries and more. B)

Yeah, the mistakes are what I remember :). I suppose I meant more, we hesitated. (or misunderstandings or not looking at the right detail) There were times I should have acted faster and made decisions, and we ended up wasting lots of time, and money. But even then we managed to explore in our ignorance. Things like getting stranded in a tiny village in Slovakia because I hadn't been on the ball (there's so many hesitations+ to that one it's hard to explain) - there was a brothel though, right opposite the bus-stop . We were far more comfortable by the end that with the sleeping on the beach when there was no suitable accommodation available, we did it, then in Slovakia the others were panicking. Following your gut is so much better :).

The female thing wouldn't stop me, unless I was going to the middle east. It's really more than that, I just want someone to start out with, and someone from my home life to keep a connection there. But you're probably right, I'm going to have to do it alone, or put out a call for less close friends and see if anyone responds. I have travelled alone before though. And the challenge, at least in the past hasn't stopped me, spurred me on more really. When I was 16 I did the sailing on my own, never done it before, and with people who I had never met. First time I'd travelled alone as well. Oh, and I'm scared of the sea :).

I am afraid of danger though. Well, I say that. I will happily walk right into it, but once there I seem to panic :). Got stupidly close to fascist riots while I was in Belgrade over a war criminal. It is about deciding if it's worth the risk. I don't want to be suicidal, or excessively stupid, though, so it was about deciding if people were being paranoid or justifiably worried about something.

I like the way about finding transport :). Seems to be the best way to me as well :). I hate planning in advance. And once you're there what you thought it would be like often it isn't and you have to alter it anyway. You're firing me up to really want to do this again :D.

we chose eastern europe because it was supposedly cheaper than the west. well it definitely was, couldn't have afforded to do the west, but it was still more costly than I'd expected. but there was the food hike at the time.

My other ideas at the moment, or at least simmering, are journalism and possibly even documentary making. Not that I've had any training really. But the journalism thing I would really like to make work.

my only big downfall is I'm hopeless at languages.

Edited by Smarties
Guest kayden

My other ideas at the moment, or at least simmering, are journalism and possibly even documentary making. Not that I've had any training really. But the journalism thing I would really like to make work.

I don't know about professional journalism, but I do know there are people who make money doing freelance travel articles for travel magazines. I don't think it pays much, and it's hard to get an article published, but it's something to look into and something I'm planning to look into once I start traveling. There's also a contest in the UK for people like you, but I can't find the link right now. It's kind of a reality show, where they find people to be travel writers, they send them on their way, and record their experiences. If I find the link I'll send it to you.

The easiest route is probably starting a travel blog online. I read a lot of travel blogs, and I even know know one who makes $2000(USD) per month just from his travel blog. Granted, he has a huge readership, but you should be able to make some money from it. Everytime you get a chance to get online you just write a blog post about each of your experiences. This is another thing I plan on doing. It's not only extra money, (maybe), but it's a good opportunity to practice writing and also works as a good journal to help you remember things in the future.

Documentaries are the shit. Period. If I can afford a decent video camera, and find somebody to travel with, I plan on video-recording as many of my travel experiences as possible. Even just making them amateur videos and posting them online as vBlogs gives you the potential to create a following and make a bit of money. Plus, you'll always have the footage to watch and re-experience everything. It'd probably be best if the "cameraman" wasn't a friend, because they probably wouldn't want to be behind a camera all the time, but I guess it'd be hard to find somebody who'd be willing to travel with you and spend the whole time filming you rather than experiencing things for themselves. I dunno...

my only big downfall is I'm hopeless at languages.

You can travel all over the world on just English, though it won't be the easiest way. A lot of people do it, though. I'm learning Dutch right now, in preparation for what I hope to be the first country I visit: the Netherlands. :) It's not easy, but I know a word or two so far! :boy:

Good luck with all your travelling and preparations :D.

And thanks for the hints. I will start looking into things seriously again :). I would definitely keep a blog, even if just for myself. I don't quite see how you make money off it, but I suppose it's the advertising.

My problem with writing is I rush, and basically am sloppy :/, especially when I just want to get things out. Then I notice mistakes forever, but don't rush into correcting them if I'm feeling lazy. Definitely need to improve on that :). And I'm certainly not a formal writer.

I've seen so many telly programs where I've wished I could have done it because they get to do so many cool things and go amazing places. When I was younger I wanted to be a blue peter presenter. But I suppose that means nothing to an american, or any non-british person.

Edited by Smarties
Guest kayden

Good luck with all your travelling and preparations :D.

Thanks! You too! :)

And thanks for the hints. I will start looking into things seriously again :). I would definitely keep a blog, even if just for myself. I don't quite see how you make money off it, but I suppose it's the advertising.

Yeah, putting Google Ads or something on your blog, although once you get a big following it's probably best to contact companies directly for advertising, such as a travel insurance agency or something.

My problem with writing is I rush, and basically am sloppy :/, especially when I just want to get things out. Then I notice mistakes forever, but don't rush into correcting them if I'm feeling lazy. Definitely need to improve on that :). And I'm certainly not a formal writer.

Most writers are sloppy; that's why even even the most successful authors still have editors. Not that you need to have an editor, though. People reading blogs don't normally expect perfection, and "casual" writing is probably better than formal. I'm a bit of a formal writer, and I think it tends to scare away a lot of readers who just want something casual. That being said, I'll probably edit this very blog post four or five times before I'm satisfied. (Yes, I added that sentence after editing this post four or five times! :lol: )

I've seen so many telly programs where I've wished I could have done it because they get to do so many cool things and go amazing places. When I was younger I wanted to be a blue peter presenter. But I suppose that means nothing to an american, or any non-british person.

Nope, means nothing to me at all. Sorry. :)

I've always loved travelling but am so scared of flying it's been pretty much limited to the UK. I did go to Newfoundland once and that was so worth the fear and, if my house sells in time I will definitely be coming to the Las Vegas get together but I can't see me getting over my fear enough to become a seasoned traveller because I like the journey to be as much of an adventure as the destination. Besides travelling would be difficult for me these days with my health so I think I will just confine myself to travelling to the strange new worlds that exist within my mind. :)

This is a blog sharing website for travellers

http://www.travelblogexchange.com/

Blue Peter was a children's show in the UK after school. It's been running for decades. They are a studio and a garden and do all sorts, including trips and adventures which was what I was most interested in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peter

I love flying :). It's mainly looking down at the ground while I'm up there, or the clouds with the sun shining bright no matter what the weather is looking like something you can walk on. It's a shame you don't like it. I just don't think about the dangerous parts, apart from landing. But there is plenty to do in the UK :).

Would you couchsurf?

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

I hadn't even heard of this until this year :) and someone I met had done it all over America. She worked illegally in bars to earn bits of money.

celia

Oh yes, I definitely would.

Oh yes, I definitely would. I actually have that site in my bookmarks, all ready for me to start using their networks once I start traveling. :) It's a great way to travel on so many levels. I don't think there's enough people doing it to be able to couchsurf everywhere I want to go, but any time I could utilize it I would. I bet you meet a lot of cool people and make some great friends that way.

yeah, I bet it would. The girl I met though described basically staying at the house during the day when the homeowners were at work and pretty much disappearing at night. She stayed there for almost 2 months! So not as much interaction with the host, but that seemed to be the way they wanted it. But I'm sure most aren't like that :).

This is something I found ages ago for when I was considering going to latin america. I was thinking of doing something useful at the same time, so was trying to find something where the accommodation was cheap and they didn't try and charge me for the experience. Never know, you may find it useful.

http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/

I may still start off like that, just need to work on my spanish :)unsure.gif

(I'd love to do this, but it really is a pity I can't speak spanish competently, or hardly at all

http://bolivia-online.net/content_en/datenblatt.php?institution=cochabamba/voluntariado/boliviaonline )

Edited by Smarties

yeah, I bet it would. The girl I met though described basically staying at the house during the day when the homeowners were at work and pretty much disappearing at night. She stayed there for almost 2 months! So not as much interaction with the host, but that seemed to be the way they wanted it. But I'm sure most aren't like that :).

This is something I found ages ago for when I was considering going to latin america. I was thinking of doing something useful at the same time, so was trying to find something where the accommodation was cheap and they didn't try and charge me for the experience. Never know, you may find it useful.

http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/

I may still start off like that, just need to work on my spanish :)unsure.gif

(I'd love to do this, but it really is a pity I can't speak spanish competently, or hardly at all

http://bolivia-onlin...o/boliviaonline )

Wow!

• Like 1

My recommendations are Japan and South Africa. Oh and Thailand too... though I've advise some "to be wary of strangers" in Thailand and South Africa. The movie Brokedown Palace explains it kinda and although it's a movie, it happens. Japan on the other hand is a very safe country. I left my wallet on the shinkansen station, wandered around for 3 hours and realized it was gone went back and someone turned it in to the station attendant and the best part... my 500 dollars worth of yen was still there. I want to go back and stay longer than the two weeks that I went.

Most of my friends don't like the idea :). Or, are willing to do it for awhile, only if it's planned out very well. Which just frustrates me.

yeah, I learnt that about South Africa. I was in Jo'berg. It was really only till the end of my stay that what people were saying seemed to be real. For the most of the 5 week stay I felt safe and the idea of crime, or whatever, wasn't visible. well, apart from the gun shops :). and the headlines.

I was very stupid one night though with a friend, we went out drinking and walked home when we probably shouldn't have done, drunk.

my mum was in the hospital towards the end, and there was this lady in the bed opposite who had 6 gun wound shots. one of them was in the head. Her car had gotten hijacked in the countryside, but they had a tracker in it. But basically they were shot at and she managed to throw herself and her mother out of the car before it was too late. That shocked me, as much as I'd heard stories of being careful at traffic lights.

Other than that it was shocking seeing all the security everywhere, and everything being behind compounds. we stayed with some friends of friends for a bit of it, and they had a fence and various electric laser triggers around the actual house, but it was inside a gated community as well. The guards even had this military looking buggy they went around in. And had these huge scary looking guns at the main gate. My mum went out one night for a cigarette and threw the butt near the fence, stupidly, within minutes there'd been a call to the main bedroom alerting them and someone had appeared with a gun pointing it at my mum. and were ready to shoot if the owner hadn't been very quick acting. It seemed a bit ott to me. Everything was a bit unreal.

But I know what you're talking about in terms of individuals.

(I was amazed when I found it as well!)

Edited by Smarties

Yeah, putting Google Ads or something on your blog, although once you get a big following it's probably best to contact companies directly for advertising, such as a travel insurance agency or something.

I wasn't sure how you could really make money off blogs. But I've been looking into it, and I'm surprised at how many people are doing it, and how many ad's there are for bloggers.

Look at this:

http://www.online-writing-jobs.com/

http://jobs.problogger.net/

What sort of online income are you thinking about?

Celia

--- Damn, as an aside, I really need to get down to my sisters and make sure her website is a success.

I wasn't sure how you could really make money off blogs. But I've been looking into it, and I'm surprised at how many people are doing it, and how many ad's there are for bloggers.

Look at this:

http://www.online-writing-jobs.com/

I haven't seen this site before, but it seems similar to sites such as guru.com and elance.com. The two websites I mentioned are "decent" resources for freelance writing jobs. They have a lot of opportunities, but I put "decent" in quotes because of two things. First of all, as many good opportunities that you'll find on sites like this, there's even more bad opportunities that are better left alone, no matter how good they seem. Secondly, the cost. I didn't spend enough time on the site you linked to say it's the same, but the two sites I linked to charge for services. I used to be a member at guru.com, where I paid I think about $70(USD) for three months of membership. This seemed reasonable to me until they charged a fee for the money I made from writing, too. They charged both a membership fee and a very high percentage for the escrow service. Don't quote me on this, but I think it was like a thirty percent escrow fee. So say I made a hundred dollars on my first project, (I only did one project and can't remember how much I made), I had first paid seventy dollars for the membership, and then thirty dollars from the hundred that I made for the work was also given to the site. I remember being pretty pissed off about it, which is why I never did any more projects on it. It's a shame, because there are a ton of good projects posted on the site. I was even offered a monthly column in a new magazine, and a weekly column in a new website, but the outrageous fees made me just tell everyone "no". You can set up other forms of payment to avoid the escrow fees, but it's a pain at the start. I dunno if elance.com or the site you linked to are quite the same, but I would always make sure you'll be getting your money's worth before you pay for anything. Additionally, I noticed that, at least on guru.com, having a "reputation" on the site meant a lot to potential clients. When you do work for people through the site, they rate you and it shows how much money you've made, and when you first start out it's blatantly obvious to everyone. It's hard to break into, but I saw that a lot of people were making more than my father makes yearly on the site, (not that that's saying much, but still...), so I know it can be done. Not discouraging you, just want you to know to be wary and do your homework before you pay for anything. :)

Yeah, I think these are jobs for blogging for other people's blogs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's definitely a viable option for people wanting to make some extra income online. I'm thinking more along the lines of writing for my own blog, though.

What sort of online income are you thinking about?

Are you asking about how much I want to make or what kind of work I want to do?

As for how much I want to make, I'd say whatever I need to make to travel comfortably. I have a different definition of "comfortable" than most people do, and according to my calculations $1500(USD) per month would be sufficient for my plans for world travel, although I would obviously prefer more than that. I also think I could get away with $1000, but I think $1500 is doable and much more advisable for myself.

As for what kind of work, I'd prefer to make money with my own work, such as my own blogs about me and my travels, or blogs about my political insights, etc.; or from my own websites, (I'm starting some niche websites selling things from metal detectors for treasure hunters to giving information about adopting children to information and resources for making money online, all of which can have income-producing ads on them...); but if I have to write for other people to make the money I need, I'll pretty much write whatever I need to do to make it possible. :) No sacrifice is too great if it makes your dreams become a reality. I'll sell my soul to Satan himself if I have to! :devil:

I haven't seen this site before, but it seems similar to sites such as guru.com and elance.com. The two websites I mentioned are "decent" resources for freelance writing jobs. They have a lot of opportunities, but I put "decent" in quotes because of two things. First of all, as many good opportunities that you'll find on sites like this, there's even more bad opportunities that are better left alone, no matter how good they seem. Secondly, the cost. I didn't spend enough time on the site you linked to say it's the same, but the two sites I linked to charge for services. I used to be a member at guru.com, where I paid I think about $70(USD) for three months of membership. This seemed reasonable to me until they charged a fee for the money I made from writing, too. They charged both a membership fee and a very high percentage for the escrow service. Don't quote me on this, but I think it was like a thirty percent escrow fee. So say I made a hundred dollars on my first project, (I only did one project and can't remember how much I made), I had first paid seventy dollars for the membership, and then thirty dollars from the hundred that I made for the work was also given to the site. I remember being pretty pissed off about it, which is why I never did any more projects on it. It's a shame, because there are a ton of good projects posted on the site. I was even offered a monthly column in a new magazine, and a weekly column in a new website, but the outrageous fees made me just tell everyone "no". You can set up other forms of payment to avoid the escrow fees, but it's a pain at the start. I dunno if elance.com or the site you linked to are quite the same, but I would always make sure you'll be getting your money's worth before you pay for anything. Additionally, I noticed that, at least on guru.com, having a "reputation" on the site meant a lot to potential clients. When you do work for people through the site, they rate you and it shows how much money you've made, and when you first start out it's blatantly obvious to everyone. It's hard to break into, but I saw that a lot of people were making more than my father makes yearly on the site, (not that that's saying much, but still...), so I know it can be done. Not discouraging you, just want you to know to be wary and do your homework before you pay for anything. :)

Yeah, I think these are jobs for blogging for other people's blogs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's definitely a viable option for people wanting to make some extra income online. I'm thinking more along the lines of writing for my own blog, though.

Are you asking about how much I want to make or what kind of work I want to do?

As for how much I want to make, I'd say whatever I need to make to travel comfortably. I have a different definition of "comfortable" than most people do, and according to my calculations $1500(USD) per month would be sufficient for my plans for world travel, although I would obviously prefer more than that. I also think I could get away with $1000, but I think $1500 is doable and much more advisable for myself.

As for what kind of work, I'd prefer to make money with my own work, such as my own blogs about me and my travels, or blogs about my political insights, etc.; or from my own websites, (I'm starting some niche websites selling things from metal detectors for treasure hunters to giving information about adopting children to information and resources for making money online, all of which can have income-producing ads on them...); but if I have to write for other people to make the money I need, I'll pretty much write whatever I need to do to make it possible. :) No sacrifice is too great if it makes your dreams become a reality. I'll sell my soul to Satan himself if I have to! :devil:

I was just having a brief look at what options there were :). Those are not membership sites as far as I could tell. But they charge for an advertisement. They sound like they did sting you for quite a bit, but you also did well to get the work :). I don't think that I can hope to write for money, it's not my talent.

I was asking what sort of thing you'd do. You sound like you are going to do well :). I'm starting to think I'll start my own blog anyway, for if I ever do travel. Main problem, I'm not internet savy, I have to rely on others. Or maybe it'll get me to learn. From working on my sisters website though, it's harder to get a advertising revenue than you think. At least those where if people buy something through a website, for example, tesco, you get a percentage is not very profitable, at least hasn't been so far. But then I've not put much effort into that yet, I've been concentrating on getting the website itself running and functioning.

I don't think that I can hope to write for money, it's not my talent.

Trust me, I've seen people make buckets of money who know next to nothing about proper English grammar. If you want to make money writing, I guarantee you've got more than enough skill to do so, and I'm not just being nice.

I was asking what sort of thing you'd do. You sound like you are going to do well :).

God I hope you're right; if I can't make money writing I will be on the streets again. I've had fourteen or fifteen jobs since I got out of the army three years ago and it's become painfully clear that I will never be able to hold onto to one. I don't want to anyway. If I can't make a living as a writer I don't want to make a living at all. Fortunately, there are many different kinds of writing, so if I fail at writing novels I can write songs, if I fail at writing songs I can write articles for magazines, if I fail at that I can write advertising copy, etc. Actually I have a folder called "PROJECTS" on my desktop that has folders for every kind of writing you can imagine, and each one is filled with projects underway. :) Don't put all your eggs in one basket, right?

I'm starting to think I'll start my own blog anyway, for if I ever do travel.

I read that it's best to start a travel blog long before you start traveling. You can talk about your preparations, your plans, etc. That way you build up an "archive" and hopefully a readership even before you take the first step out of your house!

Main problem, I'm not internet savy, I have to rely on others. Or maybe it'll get me to learn.

Blogs are much easier than websites, though some knowledge in HTML and CSS, and preferably PHP is definitely advisable. I've built a bunch of websites, each one for the purpose of learning the trade and each one got better and better, but then I went and made my first blog and I hardly used any of the things I had learned. If you can keep a profile on myspace or facebook you can run a wordpress blog. The more you know about web design the better your blog will be, though.

From working on my sisters website though, it's harder to get a advertising revenue than you think. At least those where if people buy something through a website, for example, tesco, you get a percentage is not very profitable, at least hasn't been so far. But then I've not put much effort into that yet, I've been concentrating on getting the website itself running and functioning.

Affiliate marketing is much harder than PPC advertising. With affiliate marketing your revenue is based on conversions, i.e. people you've refered actually buying something. With PPC, (pay-per-click), advertising, you get paid every time somebody just clicks on the advertisement you have posted on your site or blog. Obviously, affiliate sales generates a higher income per payment, but it's therefore much harder to make the first dollar. Some affiliate programs pay hundreds of dollars just for one sale, but getting even one sale is not easy. If you affiliate with Amazon, like I do, you make a percentage of the sale that you referred. I write reviews on my blog for DVDs and link to Amazon so people can purchase the DVD, and if they do I get a commission. I also have Google ads on the site, so if anyone clicks on the ads I get a small payment. With the PPC revenue, every click is extremely small. It takes a lot of clicks to generate enough revenue for it to be worth the effort. It's all about traffic, and therefore it's all about marketing. Marketing your site and generating traffic is the hardest part of the business, and unfortunately it's where I've fallen short on my sites and blogs. I had some great websites up but after all my hard work of making them I was too lazy to do much marketing and they've all but dissolved.

It's hard to find a proper way to make money online, but once you do I'm sure it's worth all the effort! I haven't found my luck in that respect yet, but I've got my fingers crossed. Best of luck to you, too! Maybe we'll bump into each other in Iran next year! :2thumbs: