An Unremarkable Heart

That is all the more moving due to the afterword.

:hug:

I think this is also the first of your poems that isn't a cliffhanger. I'm astonished!

Thanks for your comments, C. J. :hug:

None of my poems is a cliffhanger. I don't think short poems such as I have written can even have cliffhangers. I wouldn't know how to write one. In addition, amphibians have a well know aversion to cliffhangers and are very careful to avoid the foul things. I suppose a very lengthy epic poem could have a cliffhanger at the end of a section. Such epic poems are generally classics and are not published in serial form, so a cliffhanger would be almost unnoticeable.

Thanks for your comments, C. J. :hug:

None of my poems is a cliffhanger. I don't think short poems such as I have written can even have cliffhangers. I wouldn't know how to write one. In addition, amphibians have a well know aversion to cliffhangers and are very careful to avoid the foul things. I suppose a very lengthy epic poem could have a cliffhanger at the end of a section. Such epic poems are generally classics and are not published in serial form, so a cliffhanger would be almost unnoticeable.

Sorry Your Amphibiousness, but I must disagree; Your prior poems, and one of your limericks, were cliffhangers!

And while it is true that most amphibians do seem to avoid cliffs, there is one species, yours, the Cliff Chirping Frog, which makes cliffs its home. It is also entirely possible for a non-serial to be a cliffhanger. Several movies have ended with one, as have several books, and in fact, I think I recall you opining that a short story ended with one a couple of years ago... :P

I do agree that cliffhangers are very rare in poetry, but you do seem to have a knack for them. If you are not doing so on purpose, then you're a natural. :P

• 6 months later...

Oh MikeL!

If EVER a poem could catch my attention after just two or three lines, "An Unremarkable Heart" did just that!

It was that early in the reading that the *dam* began to leak, and then burst! What heartfelt emotion you are able to convey!

And I hope that the medical problems are diminishing and/or gone, seriously.

I don't know if *I* have an unremarkable heart, MikeL, but I don't want to "live" with one! I hope that mine is *remarkable*.

Thank you so very much for this poem! :)