Eyjafjallajokull Erupts!

volcano-eruption-iceland.jpg

Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajokull began a series of eruptions March 19. This was the first major eruption of the volcano since 1821.

The volcano itself was covered by glaciers so the first came a flood of melt-waters and then a stinking reek of rotten eggs (sulphuric gas).

Guardian Article 15 Apr 2010

The vast cloud of volcanic ash has grounded flights all over Europe and is causing economic disruptions world wide.

Iceland is no stranger to volcanism. It is estimated that 1/3rd of the all the lava that has ever been discharged by volcanic eruption was emitted on Iceland. It is THE most volcanic place on earth. Iceland has 130 volcanic mountains of which 18 have erupted since the island was settled ~900AD. Much of the island consist of vast lava flows and basalt basins.

Eyjafjallajokull can be found at 63

As Nephylim said:

WOW thanks for that James. Very interesting and informative.

But don't you know that according to Rick Sanchez at CNN

'Iceland's Too Cold to Have a Volcano'

No accounting for idiots is there?

Iceland is part of the North Atlantic Igneous Province- and example of Volcanic Rifted Margins. Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs) are often linked to active hotspots by linear chains of volcanic islands or volcanoes, leading to models that connect their origins to mantle plumes. At some point all of the Icelandic volcanoes share a mantle plume and caldera- how deep or how shallow we don't know.

This makes the island of Iceland the largest known super volcano on earth- even larger than Yellowstone.

Eruptions of super-volcanoes and the emplacement of LIPs appears to be coincide with four mass extinctions in geological history. The most important being the Permian mass extinction which more or less wiped the planet and reset the evolutionary clock.

There is no telling how long this volcano will erupt. It could last from days to decades. Other volcanoes in the caldera could become involved. Given the depth, type and duration of the magma plume fueling the eruption, it is possible that the entire Iceland caldera could become involved.

Iceland is part of the North Atlantic Igneous Province- and example of Volcanic Rifted Margins. Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs) are often linked to active hotspots by linear chains of volcanic islands or volcanoes, leading to models that connect their origins to mantle plumes. At some point all of the Icelandic volcanoes share a mantle plume and caldera- how deep or how shallow we don't know.

This makes the island of Iceland the largest known super volcano on earth- even larger than Yellowstone.

Eruptions of super-volcanoes and the emplacement of LIPs appears to be coincide with four mass extinctions in geological history. The most important being the Permian mass extinction which more or less wiped the planet and reset the evolutionary clock.

There is no telling how long this volcano will erupt. It could last from days to decades. Other volcanoes in the caldera could become involved. Given the depth, type and duration of the magma plume fueling the eruption, it is possible that the entire Iceland caldera could become involved.

Thanks for sharing :)

Find it interesting.

Our flights are still grounded.

I flew the weekend before they were all stopped, so glad that I managed to miss this mess.

The shop I semi-working from at the moment - their outside windowsill is covered in this dirt/dust - that must have come from it because it's not usually there. That's the midlands.

It's quite comical all the people stranded, or certain people that are that can't carry out appearances for example. The radio to work just really comments on performers. And one of the big drive time DJs is stuck in New York - think he's broadcasting from there tomorrow instead.

And our navy/ government/mandelson has decided to get people back using boats or whatever in a 'rescue' mission. A bit ludicrous maybe.

I was watching the news before and there seems to be a firestorm of controvery flying over the intertubes... people are sharing their horror stories of being trapped in Europe (I'd think of it as an extended vacation TBH).

Also there seems to be a bit of an argument brewing between the Transportation Ministers and the Airlines as well. Airlines are saying that it's safe to fly, the Ministers going "Are you Insane?" Given James's post on the silicates and it being damaging to jet engines, I would have to agree with the ban on airtravel for now... though it makes me wonder if we should perhapse start thinking of using blimps again... they seem less prone to issues like this ;)

Eric :)

The airlines are fluttering about losing money while they are grounded, with some of the smaller ones claiming they could go bankrupt.

And Eric, I think everyone else is still discussing whether insurance will have to pay out for the losses and extra accommodation as well.

I also know there is or will be a rail strike in France that will compound some of the problems as people travel by land and sea.

Edited by Smarties
  • Site Administrator

I'm just wondering how the hell u pronounce the name :blink:

One of the radio commentators here in Melbourne announced the other day that his was the only program in Australia that would tell the listeners the name of the volcano. He then did so, and said that that was why no other program would tell the listeners the name -- it's just too bloody hard to pronounce!

One of the newspaper blogs here raised an interesting question -- what if the volcano keeps emitting volcanic ash? What would be the impact on Europe and elsewhere, if aircraft were restricted because of the danger? I saw an article today that the impact is already being felt in Kenya. They produce a lot of gourmet fruit and vegetables for Europe, and some of it is being dumped because they can't fly them to Europe.

Edited by Graeme

volcano-lightning.jpg

The ash particles in the clouds collides causing differential charges and ZOT! Lightning.

This video is mostly dark with the occasional lightning bolt.

This just in: a previously unknown vent has opened up at Eyjafjallajokull. More when I've got it.

I would like to remind people that there is always a bright side to stories like this...

I mean, look at that name. Just look at it. Places like Iceland are full of names such as that and since the Scrabble rules have changed it now means you can just throw any old shit down on the board and reap the points.

Martin 0:)

Edited by clumber

Or in summary... Iceland is part of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. :rolleyes:

Note that this is only the beginning. History has always shown that when Eyjafjallajökull erupts, the mother Katla always will follow.

It will only get more interesting.

Edited by Jack Frost

Flights are back, or some of them are as the air is labelled safe. After BA sort of blackmailed the air authorities by just setting off.

Put there is still pandemonium. I've just heard the airlines are charging about

Yes it is supposed to resume tonight.....

Here is the most current info on the Volcano in Iceland (i wont even try to spell it)

Apperantly there are tremmors that can be felt for 15km around the volcano, and scientists are scared a second volcano may erupt, or a bigger eruption is on it's way.

Here's the information thanks to MSN TODAY! : http://travel.ca.msn.com/canada/article.aspx?cp-documentid=23956512

Livescience is reporting that two other Icelandic volcanoes are being closely watched for signs of an eruption.

Heckla is under close watch and had a false alarm this morning.

Katla has a history of going off whenever Eyjafjallajokull does. Three times in history when Eyjafjallajokull has erupted