UK Meet 2011

Through much careful debate and consideration by some of the UK members here on GA cool.gif, we have discussed the possibility of holding a UK GayAuthors meet in 2011.

While much still needs to be decided upon, it would be a great opportunity for some of us to meet, especially those in Europe, who are unable to attend the meets in the US.

We're thinking that a meet around the second week of August would be best for the majority of us, and allow for more people to attend.

The venue is still largely undecided, but London would be the easiest to get to for people travelling nationally and internationally. (And provides a good excuse as a holiday for those travelling in from oversees!)

So if anyone's interested in this idea, or would like to add/change/make a suggestion, or would simply like to show interest in coming, please feel free to post. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

My family and I have gone away on holiday every August for the past nine million years, so I'm not really sure about how this is going to work out. I mean, I do like my family, but a GA gathering sounds like a much more interesting prospect haha

As for location, London is fine with me. I'm happy to go most places in England. However, if this whole thing actually does happen, then it might be a good idea to select a location that best suits in terms of where everyone is travelling from. It's gonna cost me an arm and a leg to travel from Liverpool to London, but I'm willing as long as everyone else would definitely prefer to go there.

ALSO...

What the hell does one do at these things? So far I've just been thinking about getting pissed. I'm probably way off XD

Count me in as well !! :2thumbs:

London is fine with me, but really anywhere easily accessible would do. Manchester is also easy to reach by plane from both the US and Europe.

Topic is now pinned (ie - stickied). A meetup is basically just people getting together to put names with faces and meet in person. Simple ideas usually work best - lunch somewhere or a coffee stop. Set the time for about three hours - and if people want to hang around and do more together after, great. Whoever takes the lead in organizing it (Emulated?) should ask people to post or private message him if they are interested in attending. I recommend picking a city, date and approximate time, but only giving the exact location to people in private messages just so there aren't unexpected lurkers.

Anyone is free to suggest getting together with other users of GA at any time - but I do want to provide the usual caveats - this is not an officially sanctioned event of GayAuthors and please always use your best judgement and caution in what you reveal to others, especially if you are a minor.

Now - having said that - again - nothing is wrong with planning and having a meeting and from my past experience, they can be a blast. You get to sit and chat with people that you only know from the board, and just relax and enjoy yourself. I've actually been surprised at the good turnout at past official events and that everyone pretty much was fine with pictures from the events being posted to the board afterwards.

Emulated (or anyone else) - if you want/need more advice on how to pull this off, just ask me.

Thanks, Trebs. Some sound advice in your post.

Whoever takes the lead in organizing it (Emulated?) should ask people to post or private message him if they are interested in attending. I recommend picking a city, date and approximate time, but only giving the exact location to people in private messages just so there aren't unexpected lurkers.

This is a great suggestion. While the more people coming the merrier, it would be good to have this 'safeguard' in place to stop any 'unexpected lurkers'.

Anyone is welcome to PM me with interest in coming, but it might also be beneficial to post here if you're interested. That way anyone thinking about coming can get a rough idea of who to expect/how many to expect.

IF you don't want to post here, then a PM would do just fine. Either way, I'll get back to you. happy.gif

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That would be great! I've been playing with such idea for some time too! :D If you need any help, just ask ;) And count me in! :D

well that settles it guys - "we're" in :D

Manchester or any place that's a bit more northern would be fantastic for me too, but I am willing to go south. I'll just be very sour about it and cry etc.

As much as Manu is closer for me too. There are people coming from europe and other places and London is the capital and has the most links. But then again Manchester is quite connected.

It's also bigger :), and it would be a good excuse to visit friends of mine who now live in London.

There are some good train deals you can get. Though you can get ripped off as well.

Those with a car may be able to pick up others, no?

If I drive from France I'm willing to take a few people from the South to Manchester if that's the final destination.