UK Meet 2011

I'm willing for anywhere but i think it would be easier for those that are international who are coming (eg from outside EU) to have it in London and somewhere obvious.

Ask the average american if they know where Manchester is they wouldnt be able to answer (unless they taught geography at university :P)

"Taxi!" Linxe hollers.

The taxi pulls over. Linxe hops in.

"Where too mate?"

"Manchester, mate..."

The taxi guy rolls his eyes at the ignorance of the silly American.

"Where too in Manchester?"

"Just drop me off at a bar, I'll figure it out from there."

:2thumbs:

• Site Administrator

If you'll take advice from a foreigner who has been to both places, I'd recommend Manchester on costs grounds, and London on tourist grounds.

London is expensive. Budget accommodation will probably mean staying a long way out from the central city, though I'll concede the public transport system is good (despite what the locals say about the Underground -- you should try getting around Melbourne via public transport!). However, there is a broad range of tourist attractions in London to suit all tastes, so everyone going there would find something to do outside the GA meet.

Manchester is easy to get to, being a major transport hub. I went there by train from London, and then flew home. It's smaller than London and budget accommodation should be closer to the Canal Street area, where I presume people will want to meet, being the heart of the gay district (I was there for work, and my hotel was within walking distance, but that hotel was also expensive). There's probably less tourist options available, but there are definitely some, and if a few people with vehicles are willing to act as drivers, there are a lot of options in the surrounding area. I can personally recommend the Leeds Armoury. When I was there with my wife in 1996 it has just openned. We planned on spending an hour or two, and then drive on. We ended up staying for six hours, and didn't finish the place....

Edited by Graeme

Manchester is so much cheaper than London XD I mean, waaaaaay cheaper. But like, it depends on the ratio of southerners to northerners and those coming from afar. After a quick scan over numbers it looks to be pretty balanced.

If you'll take advice from a foreigner who has been to both places, I'd recommend Manchester on costs grounds, and London on tourist grounds.

London is expensive. Budget accommodation will probably mean staying a long way out from the central city, though I'll concede the public transport system is good (despite what the locals say about the Underground -- you should try getting around Melbourne via public transport!). However, there is a broad range of tourist attractions in London to suit all tastes, so everyone going there would find something to do outside the GA meet.

Manchester is easy to get to, being a major transport hub. I went there by train from London, and then flew home. It's smaller than London and budget accommodation should be closer to the Canal Street area, where I presume people will want to meet, being the heart of the gay district (I was there for work, and my hotel was within walking distance, but that hotel was also expensive). There's probably less tourist options available, but there are definitely some, and if a few people with vehicles are willing to act as drivers, there are a lot of options in the surrounding area. I can personally recommend the Leeds Armoury. When I was there with my wife in 1996 it has just openned. We planned on spending an hour or two, and then drive on. We ended up staying for six hours, and didn't finish the place....

Being a former re enactor and total weapons nut...the Leeds armoury is a totally awesome place. I have friends who live in Blackpool and I could probably stay there and get a train. i think it's only about an hour away. I heartily dislike London, and I would NEVER go on the underground but wherever we meet it will be worth it just to finally get to bite... er meet you wonderful guys.

Manchester is so much cheaper than London XD I mean, waaaaaay cheaper. But like, it depends on the ratio of southerners to northerners and those coming from afar. After a quick scan over numbers it looks to be pretty balanced.

You can count me in as a Northerner because, believe it of not the North South divide wobbles downwards to encompass Wales. Have always felt more at home up North anyway what with my brother living in Stanley and my best friend in Blackpool :)

So i guess it's kind of on the fence about the location then?

I hope for it to be in Manchester, i know my way around there and know it's a great place to meet up with people, but i can certainly see the appeal of London.

There's still a long time to think about this though, so i guess i'll just have to wait and see :)

but wherever we meet it will be worth it just to finally get to bite... er meet you wonderful guys.

Ok, now i'm scared :D

Well for me there are two considerations. first of all is cost.

Hotels in Manchester are fairly cheap (Paya and I stayed at the Britannia very reasonably), but there again I can heartily recommend (especially for foreign travellers) the Barkston gardens hotel in London, which is just as reasonable. A meal out in manchester has gotten quite expensive - Paya and I went to an "average" restaurant and spent around

• Like 1

I want to go to SoHo NOW :) And I LOVE the British Museum. I could spend a week in there no problem. THey have the best Sumerian exhibit I have ever seen and the African exhibit is awesome. I just don't like London in general. Although I suppose I don't have to go to the crappy areas.

I want to go to SoHo NOW :) And I LOVE the British Museum. I could spend a week in there no problem. THey have the best Sumerian exhibit I have ever seen and the African exhibit is awesome. I just don't like London in general. Although I suppose I don't have to go to the crappy areas.

YEY! I converted nephy ! :P My next strategy was gonna be to offer her my neck if she agreed to London.... but now I dont need to :P

• Like 1

Well, London is a lot closer for me :D

And I know the city quite well compared to Manchester. I went to Soho a few months ago and I've got addresses for a few nice restaurants.

Edited by Blue Phoenix

Awww :) Nephy we will get you there :)

And yeah :) it will be interesting :) My suggestion is that we meet somewhere quite obvious in central london and travel as a group. Would make things much more interesting and easier to get to know each other.

And Nephy don't worry i hate the underground also :)

And Nephy don't worry i hate the underground also :)

Hell if there's enough of us we'll take Soho TO the British Musuem :)

lol, Nephy!

Hehe, good thing the British Museum is within walking distance of Soho then :)

why not do a 1 to 3 night all stay at the same affordable place where you have group site seeing, dinner party, dance party, read self written works sessions, kidnap n do weird stuff to some local kids(noy a minor of cos gotta keep it legal) session, a special london writing collaboration where the story is based on a topic and everyone just contribute by following up the previous person's write up. 3- 5 paragraphs and drawing numbers in a hat to arrange the order for who goes first accordingly? like a GA fun house. just poll the money together and rent a place. or hostel n have everyone in the same room hahaha.

can also do role playing to. that might be fun. those in america collaborate and create a scenario. those in uk will need to randomly pick their role and act out their part accordingly. those with the best role play n most creative dialog will get a GA badges like of Best RolePlayer 2011, best of weirdest Role 2011, most creative dialog 2011 :D

as for boardgames i suggest Goa, shadows over camelot, pandemic, agricola, ticket to ride :D

Lots of great ideas, Meow (well apart from the kidnapping, obviously :blink: )! Sounds like a lot of fun, especially the collaborative writing!

I also think that the idea of renting one big place for a week-end is definitely worth exploring. It's very commonly done in France but I don't remember seeing many such places in England. *Goes to check*

Edited by Bleu

get a rental home in a farm or something.. n rent a big van for transport.. that way since it in the rural area..

that said if only it's during halloween.. cos it'd be scary n fun :D we can write horror stories , do horror roleplay n someone video it down lol and we'll have our own GA movie to watch lol how everyone dies in random death from the hat. n the rest will have to guess who will escape.. it's like a game of who dun it but in this who escape the claws of doom and who is the serial murderer. i think i watched too many slasher flick lmaosmiley.gif