Forests or concrete?

Forest. I love being surrounded by the trees and wildlife. I have grown up in a small town in Kentucky so it is sorta everywhere. I don't like the face-paced city life. I went to D.C and went into culture shock. I was screaming for home by the 3rd day :wacko: . I would be lost with out the perfect view of stars, warm green grass, smell of honey-suckle, and presence of the occasional deer, fox, hummingbird, or rabbit etc. *Sigh* I Love nature and hate my town or rather the people who live here.

Hi HJ,

My first 11 years were spent in the mountains of south-central Ky. I enjoyed everything that you are enjoying plus: snakes, katydids, frogs, bats, toads---it just dosen't end, huh?

But I also came away with an almost fanatical LOVE of the outdoors, and the fewer people around, so much the better!

Oh! Also a love for hotdogs cooked on a stick over an open fire until the skin is black! Then the same stick would be used to catch marshmallows on fire. When the treat is ready to drop to the ground, you simply blow out the fire, let it cool a few seconds and *yummy*!

Thanks, HJ.

Hey scotchirish87,

Some years ago I went with a group of 13yo boys to a baseball tournament in Georgetown. Somewhere between there and Austin there are underground caverns located directly under the interstate. Apparently when the government bought the property to build the highway, they didn't buy the land underneath it past a certain point, so the original owner(s) created an money maker out of it.

I was just curious as to whether you knew about it or not. And thanks for your answer. :)

Absolutely I do, I'm from Georgetown. Inner Space Caverns just on the southern edge of Georgetown. The story as I recall hearing it was that they were drilling holes for the supports for the overpass that's right near there and one of the holes found the cave so they had to move it off. I don't see any reason why they would even consider depth when purchasing the land if they were only using it for a highway.

I like the kind of places which effectively combine both, which is why I love Berlin so much. You totally have a big city, huge, diverse, with all the vices you could ever imagine, and the prerequisite concrete. Yet it's one of the greenest capitals, full of large parks which you completely lose yourself in and forget you're in a big city. And very easily, if you wish to get "out" of the big city, a short train ride will take you to a small village where you reside in the 18th century if you wish.

What I like about a big city like that, is when I am bored or restless, even if it's 4am I can go out someplace and the city is awake. Whatever you want to do can be done, get something to eat, find a party, a dance club, someone else bored and wandering around you can go have a beer with.

Even so, my favorite place is not forest exactly, but being near water, or on the water. Someplace were you can walk for miles and not see anyone just the land, the sky and nature.

I like the kind of places which effectively combine both, which is why I love Berlin so much. You totally have a big city, huge, diverse, with all the vices you could ever imagine, and the prerequisite concrete. Yet it's one of the greenest capitals, full of large parks which you completely lose yourself in and forget you're in a big city. And very easily, if you wish to get "out" of the big city, a short train ride will take you to a small village where you reside in the 18th century if you wish.

What I like about a big city like that, is when I am bored or restless, even if it's 4am I can go out someplace and the city is awake. Whatever you want to do can be done, get something to eat, find a party, a dance club, someone else bored and wandering around you can go have a beer with.

Even so, my favorite place is not forest exactly, but being near water, or on the water. Someplace were you can walk for miles and not see anyone just the land, the sky and nature.

The best of both! Sounds wonderful.

Austin is a big city to me. Anything over 10,000-15,000 is a city to me. haha

The suburbs will never harmonize urban and nature for me and I'm allergic to them because of sprawls that destroyed unnecessary amount of lands.

Large parks in big cities aren't enough either. They're still big cities to me. So the Berlin example doesn't fly. We have Mont-Royal, which is pretty much like New York's Central Park (and designed by the same architect!), but wooded. I could get *some* feel of being in nature, but it's not the same due to numerous well-worn out tracks all over the mountains, city lights peering over at night not seeing much of the stars, and hearing traffic noises.

To me, it has to be a clear cut... either real urban or real rural.

I just have a different perception of what is rural/nature and what is not. Mainly because I spent most of my life living in one. I was surprised to hear from people who grew up in big cities that they consider a building with several floors not a skyscraper (and I definitely saw why when I first went to NYC :S) and they consider places with 10,000 people as "small quaint towns".

Edited by Jack Frost

I have to go with the Forest myself, the idea of living in a big City or something similar isn't an appealing one to me. I've always fantasized about living in a cabin out in the sticks, even if it is an unlikely one lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have lived an almost enchanted life for a beggar boy. Things just happened to work out for me. And I know that I am very fortunate.

But I have no idea what it would be like to grow up in a *city* enviroment!

I am very much asking WHAT is so great about the *city*?

Concerts, opera, ballet, live theater, shopping, dining, museums, libraries, top medical care, universities, amusements, first run movies, art house movies, places to go after 9PM, professional sports, gblt centers.......

Mainly, there is always something to do or somewhere to be at any hour of the day or night. So if you are a go go go type of person the city would be the place to be. Back in the day, I remember going 24hrs. in Baltimore non stop - there was always something open and someplace to eat - we closed the bars and were there when they opened - in the same clothes! Jeeze, was I a young idiot! And New York? OMG. That place never closes.

Now, for the stop stop stop types like me, I would prefer a forest or woods. Getting lost in Muir Woods on the California coast in 1970 is one of my fondest memories! It helped that I was stoned out of my mind! Something about good weed and those tall green trees with the dappled light and the breeze rustleing through the leaves . . .

I'm going to live in a small town called Indiana, PA for college this fall. It should be interesting, living the small town life and being an hour away from a big city. I'll be surrounded by a lot of forest, as its the Christmas Tree Capital of the World. I grew up in a small city called Wilmington, Delaware and the suburban areas surrounding it.

For me, I like the hustle and bustle of a big, lively city like Philadlephia or D.C. I'm a night owl, so I really like a place with a bustling nightlife and 24-hour diners I can stop at and walk into. I also really love being surrounded by a lot of people- I find lots of people pretty interesting, and I LOVE looking up at tall buildings. i remember when I first went to NYC, and I was just amazed at all the skyscrapers and just loved it.

But I do like nature as well. There's this great state park called Cape Henlopen in Delaware...absolutely amazing place.