Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 42

MikeL

There's no "other one" mentioned at all, though that does not preclude your theory. :)

You're right; the narration confirms (and so it has to be true) that Bridget wasn't lieing about Ares. Bridget was first on the scene (not surprising, given her very frequent runs in high speed boats in the area) Bridget got there long before the debris could have drifted out of sight of a floating wreck. Could Ares have been sunk? Sure; a bomb would do it, by rupturing her buoyancy champers. (It's mentioned very early on that one of Trevor's improvements to Atlantis was filling her buoyancy chambers with foam, so we can assume that Ares didn't have that.). So, we can deduce that, when Bridget arrived, Ares was either on the sea floor by some means, or elsewhere by some means. :) It's also confirmed in the narration that Bridget thinks Ares is on the bottom in that area off Bimini.

I'll also (I hope I'm not giving a spoiler here) confirm that the rock will not get good cellular reception. 0:)

However, I just noticed something very interesting: You said you've been swimming in those waters?!!?!? So, what about a bomb, planted on Ares' hull, by a swimmer? Hrmmm! Is this mention of being there an admission on your part? :blink:

Hmm, you're right. Around that time Jim had no idea what Dirk knew (if he knows anything at all) about the disappearance of Ares. I'm too lazy to look back, but I could swear he said something to that effect at some point. Him, or perhaps someone else. Meh, I stand by my theory.

wildone: In the areas that I swam (much closer to shore, and especially near area sandbars), you most certainly could see the sandy bottom. Still the water wasn't exactly crystal clear. I remember once, a barracuda was spotted in the area of a few anchored yachts, including our small power-yacht. It was more of an outline, really. In those depths, if a yacht like Ares were completely submerged, it would have only been just so and would be clearly visible. Farther out to sea, at the last known position of Ares, I think you could just see the wreck from the air, but it probably would appear as more of a blotch in an area of darker waters. It's believable that if Ares sank there, Trevor would have trouble finding it with his glass-bottom pale. I think, though, if he used a device that sharpen and magnify the seafloor, he'd get a much better picture of what is down there, and not confuse metal boat objects with trash. I think a plane with a high resolution camera could give him an indication of what areas to look, but I'm not sure he could look at a picture and say, "There it is!!" Of course, that is assuming the yacht didn't drift very far from its last known position. Let's not forget that this is within the mysterious Bermuda Triangle, where UFOs have been known to beam up innocent yachts before any old drug lord harpies moonlighting as sweet, old ladies can find any supposed wrecks...

Ceej... you wish I planted a bomb on Ares. Sorry, that old wive's tale is too convenient to wipe your filthy slate clean. Old wive's... Bridget... Hmmm... I wonder if CJ is one of her suitors... she seems the type to be into bestiality.

Hmm, you're right. Around that time Jim had no idea what Dirk knew (if he knows anything at all) about the disappearance of Ares. I'm too lazy to look back, but I could swear he said something to that effect at some point. Him, or perhaps someone else. Meh, I stand by my theory.

wildone: In the areas that I swam (much closer to shore, and especially near area sandbars), you most certainly could see the sandy bottom. Still the water wasn't exactly crystal clear. I remember once, a barracuda was spotted in the area of a few anchored yachts, including our small power-yacht. It was more of an outline, really. In those depths, if a yacht like Ares were completely submerged, it would have only been just so and would be clearly visible. Farther out to sea, at the last known position of Ares, I think you could just see the wreck from the air, but it probably would appear as more of a blotch in an area of darker waters. It's believable that if Ares sank there, Trevor would have trouble finding it with his glass-bottom pale. I think, though, if he used a device that sharpen and magnify the seafloor, he'd get a much better picture of what is down there, and not confuse metal boat objects with trash. I think a plane with a high resolution camera could give him an indication of what areas to look, but I'm not sure he could look at a picture and say, "There it is!!" Of course, that is assuming the yacht didn't drift very far from its last known position. Let's not forget that this is within the mysterious Bermuda Triangle, where UFOs have been known to beam up innocent yachts before any old drug lord harpies moonlighting as sweet, old ladies can find any supposed wrecks...

UFO's? Now who would suggest UFO's as a plot element? (I'm hoping Shadowgod isn't reading this, after I did it to him...)

The water at disappearance site (roughly 20 miles NE of Bimini) runs about 100 feet (some deeper, some shallower), and I've flown low over seas like that (clear, tropical) in small planes. my impression is that you're right, but only for an area directly below, and only on a calm day.

The problem Trevor has is that all he has to go on is the radio call. "... Ares, taking on water... Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, twenty miles northeast of Bimini, Sailing Yacht Ares, taking on water

• Site Administrator

Hmmm, I'd guess that 15 to 20 would refer to a threat to someone that they will get if they break the law, but then I thought about the topic of the story and began to wonder if maybe it refers to how many knots Trevor will be able to sail at trough the Red Sea.

I wonder where he will make his phone call home to Dirk? I wonder if Dirk will send him a new one? I wonder if he will pick it up in Mogadishu, he should be safe going there :P

Now back to the UFO scenario, Robbie has informed us of the Bermuda Triangle and we all know that alien life is responsible for the mishaps there (I read it on the internet, so it must be true :) ). I am sure that CJ has finally got the opportunity to use the flying saucer scenario that he so loved to accuse Shadowgod of using. After all, CJ created it, and now he gets to use it :P

Is it Tuesday yet :P

UFO's? Now who would suggest UFO's as a plot element? (I'm hoping Shadowgod isn't reading this, after I did it to him...)

The water at disappearance site (roughly 20 miles NE of Bimini) runs about 100 feet (some deeper, some shallower), and I've flown low over seas like that (clear, tropical) in small planes. my impression is that you're right, but only for an area directly below, and only on a calm day.

The problem Trevor has is that all he has to go on is the radio call. "... Ares, taking on water... Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, twenty miles northeast of Bimini, Sailing Yacht Ares, taking on water–"

That's it, all of it, that he has to go on. Even if that was accurate, it gives only a general area. Trevor's current search area is a circle five miles across, and even that might be cutting it too fine. What if "Northeast" wasn't the exact bearing? (it could have been, say, east by northeast) and northeast of exactly where on Bimini? Bimini is two main islands (north and south Bimini) so northeast of the center of the group, or northeast of the north point? And was it exactly 20 miles? So, Trevor's five mile circle (almost 20 square miles of sea floor) is probably a bit small. That's a lot of ground to cover, assuming Ares is still visible. It's a sandy bottom in most places, and there have been hurricanes. :)

B).................Sounds like a cliffhanger threat from either the Feds, Florida cops or Egyptian authorities to one of the characters....15 to 20 in prison!! 0:) Hmmm, had the chapter been titled 15 or 20, I might have taken a guess at the miles expressed above about the waters of the Bimini, but that is not in the likelihood in this stage of the story. As I see no point to the storyline here. So my guess is the threat is expressed by Detective Gonzales in exasperation at Dirk's non-disclosure of what he knows, none that would help the investigation anyways! .....Then again 15 to 20 could refer to how many cliff dwelling frogs could be found in one cliff area!! :lol:

Edited by Benji

Then again 15 to 20 could refer to how many cliff dwelling frogs could be found in one cliff area!! :lol:

I hate repeating myself. There are no cliff dwelling frogs except that one species confined to central and west Texas.

One is much more likely to see goats meandering about cliffs. Frogs don't go near cliffs because they draw much more pleasure from creating tadpoles.

I hate repeating myself. There are no cliff dwelling frogs except that one species confined to central and west Texas.

:blink:.......... How can you say there are none when you admit there are some???

One is much more likely to see goats meandering about cliffs. Frogs don't go near cliffs because they draw much more pleasure from creating tadpoles.

.B)............... But the fact remains there are cliff dwelling frogs!!!! :lol:

Edited by Benji
  • Site Administrator

You are preaching to the choir Mike, as I can provide hundreds of pictures of goats on cliffs, yet don't recall seeing any of a frog.

I do take exception of the reference of making tadpoles though. Some of us can't reproduce our offspring cause of some anatomy obstacles. Wait :P I forgot that us males produce something that looks like tadpoles under a microscope :2thumbs: .

Carry on my froggy friend :D

If you call within the next 48 hours we'll triple your order of KABOOM!!!

1-888-Get-Bridget-George-Sanchez

Please Leave a GPS and Transponder Location

And

a Clear Picture

:angry:...............All I get is an Arabic voice on the other end!!!

I never knew you were from Texas... but oh, wait, that's right, when you appeared on the charter in Greece a few chapters back, you did say you were originally from Texas... So this all fits! You're a cliff-dwelling frog!

Hrmmm!!! And a cliff-dwelling frog is, surely, the King of Cliffhangers, because he spends most of his time hanging on cliffs! And I do note that MikeL *IS* eligible for King of Cliffhangers, because he is an author! A poet, to be exact... and some of those poems end in cliffhangers!

MikeL for 2010 King of Cliffhangers! Vote Early and Vote Often!

You are preaching to the choir Mike, as I can provide hundreds of pictures of goats on cliffs, yet don't recall seeing any of a frog.

I do take exception of the reference of making tadpoles though. Some of us can't reproduce our offspring cause of some anatomy obstacles. Wait :P I forgot that us males produce something that looks like tadpoles under a microscope :2thumbs: .

Carry on my froggy friend :D

Hrmmm, then how come there's no such thing as a cliff goat, but there is a cliff frog? :P

If you call within the next 48 hours we'll triple your order of KABOOM!!!

1-888-Get-Bridget-George-Sanchez

Please Leave a GPS and Transponder Location

And

a Clear Picture

:lmao:

1-800-dial-a-bomb? :ph34r:

:angry:...............All I get is an Arabic voice on the other end!!!

Rough translation: "Hello, the bomb is unable to come to the phone right now, but if you';; please leave your name, number, and detonation code, the bomb will return you explosion... :nuke:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..