Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Royal ToastI'd just like to let you know how very much I am enjoyi

I'd just like to let you know how very much I am enjoying your story The Gunroom.

I came across HMS Belvedera by accident and started on that but then realised that I should have started with The Gunroom which I am reading now, avidly.

I would like to make a comment regarding the Royal Toast. It is a Royal Naval tradition that this is drunk while remaining seated. This URL will help to explain why: http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheet_loyal_toast.htm

I have not read far enough ahead to discover any details of how you cover navigation in the Eighteenth century but it is something which fascinates me and about which I have some knowledge. Maybe you have read the book 'Longitude' which I found very interesting and informative.

I have to sign off now - so that I can read more of your amazing stories.

Andy.

I'd just like to let you know how very much I am enjoying your story The Gunroom.

I came across HMS Belvedera by accident and started on that but then realised that I should have started with The Gunroom which I am reading now, avidly.

I would like to make a comment regarding the Royal Toast. It is a Royal Naval tradition that this is drunk while remaining seated. This URL will help to explain why: http://www.royalnava...loyal_toast.htm

I have not read far enough ahead to discover any details of how you cover navigation in the Eighteenth century but it is something which fascinates me and about which I have some knowledge. Maybe you have read the book 'Longitude' which I found very interesting and informative.

I have to sign off now - so that I can read more of your amazing stories.

Andy.

I'm glad you're enjoying them. You're right about the toast being drunk while seated for the RN, but it wasn't in effect then. In Granger's time, they still stood. From your site:

. George IV: As Prince Regent, while dining aboard a warship is reputed to have exclaimed as the officers rose to drink the King

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..