"Masquerade" by Josh

This is a discussion of the story "Masquerade" by "Josh." It is found here: http://awesomedude.com/josh/masquerade/

I'm going to try my best to avoid spoilers, but it is very difficult to do. It is kind of like trying to discuss the movie "The Sixth Sense" without revealing the shattering secret that comes to light at the end. Be warned -- you may not want to read on unless you have finished the story.

I recommended this story because it is so different from many stories we see. It has a lot of coming-of-age elements, but also some pretty remarkable twists.

One thing that strikes a reader immediately is the author's spare, almost Hemingway-esque writing style. There are hardly any adjectives or adverbs; only the essential ones appear. The story is told in simple declarative sentences with hardly a trace of literary embellishment. There may have been a metaphor or simile here or there, but I can't remember any. It really is about the most basic and stripped-down writing I can remember reading. (This is fairly typical of other stories by this author as well.)

It's interesting, because conventional writing wisdom calls for more complex sentence structures, more colorful and imaginative metaphors and similes, and many other techniques that this author eschews. Truly, the actions and events drive this story, without any coloration by the author save in the selection of order of presentation.

One would think, with such austerity, that it would be hard to convey any emotion or sentimentality. One would be wrong. Even though I had read this story before (albeit some years ago), it brought a tear to my eye in several places, especially in the 4th and 5th chapters. I also laughed in other places.

Overall, the story presents a unique, almost unimaginable set of circumstances, with an almost unimaginable fortuity that these particular young people's lives should happen to intersect as they did. The "fit" between the two principal characters at the end was uncanny. For all the heartbreak that could have occurred, I found the ending immensely satisfying.

I hope others did as well.

A

I will definitely say that I was completely taken for a 'ride' with this story, and pleasantly surprised by the direction that it went in.

I don't want to give too much away, so I'll try to be a little vague about the plotline where I can.

First off...in the beginning chapter, I did have a moment where I felt like I had too many names and relations thrown at me all at once, and had trouble mentally 'cataloguing' them all just in case they were going to be important later on. But outside of that, once I got into the story and knew the major players, I was really absorbed into the plot of the story. I was really impressed by the way the bond between Timmy, Samantha, and Jason, was formed and how it was held together as they were growing up. I think Btomandback really showed a high level of skill in creating a truly nostalgic feel between these characters from chapter to chapter. So I LOVED that.

I also noticed that I was smiling as feelings for Jason went from friendship to something more. It struck a chord with me, because I really do remember those moments. I've HAD those sleepovers. Hehehe! The idea of Jason making him 'happy'...I think he was realy good at capturing the feeling of those first few awkward attempts at addressing one's own sexuaity. It's playful and it's innocent...but at the same time it's sexual and done with purpose. Very erotic. Very sweet too.

Now..it was Sam's role that caught me by surprise more and more as time went on. As well as Brad and Rigo's involvement in the story. But not caught by surprise in a bad way at all. It was simply unexpected. Now...this is the part that I won't go too far into detail about, for the sake of those who haven't read it yet. But I can honestly say that I never once expected the story to go in that direction. And although it caught me off guard, it really made for an amazing twist on the story, and was consistent with the sweetness and theme of the whole story. So I applaud the author for having the courage to do that, and it's something that should definitely be read by a much wider audience.

Thanks for the suggestion Agincourt! Good story! :)

If anyone else wants to comment, feel free. You still have until next Thursday! And thumbs up to Btomandback for an awesome read!

I will definitely say that I was completely taken for a 'ride' with this story, and pleasantly surprised by the direction that it went in.

I don't want to give too much away, so I'll try to be a little vague about the plotline where I can.

First off...in the beginning chapter, I did have a moment where I felt like I had too many names and relations thrown at me all at once, and had trouble mentally 'cataloguing' them all just in case they were going to be important later on. But outside of that, once I got into the story and knew the major players, I was really absorbed into the plot of the story. I was really impressed by the way the bond between Timmy, Samantha, and Jason, was formed and how it was held together as they were growing up. I think Btomandback really showed a high level of skill in creating a truly nostalgic feel between these characters from chapter to chapter. So I LOVED that.

I also noticed that I was smiling as feelings for Jason went from friendship to something more. It struck a chord with me, because I really do remember those moments. I've HAD those sleepovers. Hehehe! The idea of Jason making him 'happy'...I think he was realy good at capturing the feeling of those first few awkward attempts at addressing one's own sexuaity. It's playful and it's innocent...but at the same time it's sexual and done with purpose. Very erotic. Very sweet too.

Now..it was Sam's role that caught me by surprise more and more as time went on. As well as Brad and Rigo's involvement in the story. But not caught by surprise in a bad way at all. It was simply unexpected. Now...this is the part that I won't go too far into detail about, for the sake of those who haven't read it yet. But I can honestly say that I never once expected the story to go in that direction. And although it caught me off guard, it really made for an amazing twist on the story, and was consistent with the sweetness and theme of the whole story. So I applaud the author for having the courage to do that, and it's something that should definitely be read by a much wider audience.

Thanks for the suggestion Agincourt! Good story! :)

If anyone else wants to comment, feel free. You still have until next Thursday! And thumbs up to Btomandback for an awesome read!

B)............I too was taken by surprise in the direction that the story took, but loved the tempo as it still played out . The twist was far a better direction then the earlier scenes, it played more to emotion, then to emotional sex. I too was surprised by the story, never thinking it would play out this way. Great story!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..