Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Researching history

Help would be appreciated.

I am writing my granddad's biography (who already passed away), and there is information I need but I can't find on the Internet - or in the library. It is technological diffusion. A question like "when did DNA tests become commercially available in the UK and what were the prices at the time?" I can make a guess based on U.S. data (which is not appropriate), and I can calculate historical prices based on inflation alone (which doesn't account for the market dynamics). They're my best guesses, but of course, rigour is preferred.

I'm not asking you to answer that question.. because I have lots of questions lol. I just would like to know how you guys research on historical topics and answer historical questions. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. :) Thanks!

Excellent questions!

My first thought is to look up the DNA testing labs and contact them.

Here's a snippet I found on Wkipedia:

The DNA profiling technique was first reported in 1984 by Sir Alec Jeffreys at the University of Leicester in England, and is now the basis of several national DNA databases. Dr. Jeffreys's genetic fingerprinting was made commercially available in 1987, when a chemical company, ICI, started a blood-testing center in England.

I'm sorry I haven't got better answers for you.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..