Anthologies, from 2004 till 2011

A little statistics: during these 8 years, 23 different categories came to life, from “Christmas” to “People are strange”. 344 short stories were written, almost an average of 50 per year.

Last night, a went through a few of them, trying to make me an opinion of the way they were written, the overall quality of each, how they implemented the subject, their style and the choice of words.

It was a funny and very interesting task, comparing the stories from these points of view, without trying to make a scale which one was better than others.

The more important result of my study was: a constant improvement from year to year: better writing qualities, more relevant to the category, in one word: better stories.

I’m not a skilled critic, as those you can find in specialized reviews, and my opinion isn’t certainly not worth a lot, but I like reading as others like writing, and as usual : “practice makes perfect” or as we say in French : “C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron » (“the only way for a blacksmith to become a master is practice”).

The same for all these authors who participated in the Anthologies.

In name of all the readers :THANKS TO THEM :worship: .

Edited by old bob
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Good insight Bob!! I have only been participating for the last year but I moved the anthologies from from 2006 and 2008-2010. I couldn't help but get sucked into to reading some of them and I have to agree, the quality of the stories, especially as seen from writers who have participated over the years, has only gotten better. The anthologies are a great way to get a taste of what a writer can do. I often see if a writer has an anthology story before I check out their longer ones. It gives me an idea of their style, story structure, and a little bit of the content they might write. I often suggest that members check out the anthologies if they are looking for a new author to read, it's a great way to find what people have to offer.