Phildelphia Orchestra is Bankrupt!

West Coast Dude

Today the Philadelphia Orchestra filed for bankruptcy. Since it's one of the few major Orchestras led by an openly gay conductor. I thought I'd post this. Let's make it really clear that obviously they are not going into bankruptcy cause their conductor is gay.

http://www.google.co...155eae2a2299025

More on Gay Conductor Yannick Nezet-Seguin:

http://en.danlan.org...Article_216.htm

http://www.towleroad...-orchestra.html

OK, I admit I haven't read the articles. But I highly doubt that it matters as for the financial matters that the conductor is gay. While your headline might suggest that the orchestra is in bankruptcy because it's lead by a gay conductor.

I'm normally all for "support the community" and "buy gay" but this title of the topic is unfortunate. :P

Orchestras all over the country, perhaps the world, are in financial trouble, so the Philadelphia Orchestra is not unique in that regard. I'm in agreement with Paya. I doubt very much that the sexuality of the conductor is much of a factor in the orchestra's financial problems.

No because look at Gustavo Dudamel of the LA Phil who has a wife and a baby boy.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2011/04/gustavo-dudamel-and-wife-welcome-baby-boy-martin-in-la.html

Kurt Masur. Is on his third marriage to a women.

"Masur was born in Brieg, Lower Silesia, Germany (now Brzeg in Poland) and studied piano, composition and conducting in Leipzig, Saxony. Masur has been married three times. His second wife, with whom he had a daughter, died in 1972 in a car accident in which Masur was severely injured.[1] He and his third wife, Tomoko, have a son, Ken, a classical singer and conductor.[2]"

Dutoit, is on his fourth marriage to a women.

"Dutoit shuns publicity and protects his private life from the media. He has been married four times, including a marriage to the world-renowned concert pianist Martha Argerich, to the economist Marie-Josée Drouin, and to Canadian violinist Chantal Juillet.[7] His first marriage was to Ruth Cury, by whom he has a son, Ivan, who lives in Santa Monica, California with his family. He also has a daughter, Anne-Catherine, by his marriage to Argerich"

You have lots to learn Yang about the classical musicians, just because they are in classical music doesn't mean they are gay.

Orchestras all over the country, perhaps the world, are in financial trouble, so the Philadelphia Orchestra is not unique in that regard. I'm in agreement with Paya. I doubt very much that the sexuality of the conductor is much of a factor in the orchestra's financial problems.

It's interesting because Orchestras in Europe don't seem to be struggling for example.

Medium sized cities in France (eg Lille, Lyon....) can keep a symphony orchestra, an opera house, choirs, period performance orchestras, etc? Nothing is hunky-dory, but somehow they manage.

You can always have some hot young teen bopper provide vocal aurias to the classical composition :P

That is only half a jest as the American fascination with the new young thing coming out is in polar opposition to the Classical style. You'd think with the aging population of the US that there'd be more support.

You can always have some hot young teen bopper provide vocal aurias to the classical composition :P

That is only half a jest as the American fascination with the new young thing coming out is in polar opposition to the Classical style. You'd think with the aging population of the US that there'd be more support.

You know it's funny because Curtis and Julliard have tons of students auditioning to get in. It's all Cd audition, then audition, then final audition. Our Canadian Orchestras seem to be doing well even after Harpers cuts. grrr. We all just make less than half of what you americans make. Maybe that's why your orchestras are full of Canadians ha ha...

You also have to consider the differences in culture. After the composers and orchestras moved from under the thumb of the Royals and the Church that held sway during the Medieval (or Gothic if you will), the Renaissance and the early Baroque periods, it became almost a tradition that Composers, Orchestras, the Opera, etc. were supported by the populace of the various towns, cities and city/states.

That kind of tradition for, as they say, "Classical" music has never taken hold in the US. Seems like it was and probably still is, held as the purview of the gentile or wealthier classes. I think that different parts of the country are more inclined to support the arts including their Symphony Orchestras, Operas, Choruses, etc. than other parts.

I'm not familiar with Canadian Orchestras and such, but I would be willing to guess that because of the ties with Britain and the European continent, that kind of tradition in some small way has embedded it self into Canadian Culture. Which I think is a good thing. Even though Canada and the United States are neighbors, the cultures of the two countries are vastly different. At least it's true for what I've experienced when I've visited Canada.

Take Care

Tomas

They have a 140 mill grant though oo...HOWS the money used up hmm?

I would guess that a large portion is spent on administrative cost. Staff salaries and salaries for the artist members and the conductor. Then there is the cost involved in getting guest artists. I don't know, but I would imagine that the costs in getting an artist of the stature of say Itzhak Perlman to perform with the orchestra would be considerable. I doubt that ticket sales, as exorbitant as some prices are, cover only a very small portion of the expenses of maintaining a viable orchestra, opera troupe, choir or other of the performance arts. Also in these economic times it would be unlikely that the general populace, at least in the US, would be able, even if they are willing, to pay the price for a ticket when survival is a greater priority (food, housing for the family, etc.).

All that being said, I can every once in awhile afford to attend a concert. As a matter of fact, I'll be going to a concert Monday (this evening, APR 18th). Going to be interesting to hear Canadian Violinist, James Ehnes playing the Max Bruch Violin Concerto No 1 in G minor with the Portland Symphony Orchestra. Actually, it's because of the Bruch and the orchestra playing Beethoven's Symphony #3 [Eroica] that I decided to attend.

Take Care

Tomas

I would guess that a large portion is spent on administrative cost. Staff salaries and salaries for the artist members and the conductor. Then there is the cost involved in getting guest artists. I don't know, but I would imagine that the costs in getting an artist of the stature of say Itzhak Perlman to perform with the orchestra would be considerable. I doubt that ticket sales, as exorbitant as some prices are, cover only a very small portion of the expenses of maintaining a viable orchestra, opera troupe, choir or other of the performance arts. Also in these economic times it would be unlikely that the general populace, at least in the US, would be able, even if they are willing, to pay the price for a ticket when survival is a greater priority (food, housing for the family, etc.).

All that being said, I can every once in awhile afford to attend a concert. As a matter of fact, I'll be going to a concert Monday (this evening, APR 18th). Going to be interesting to hear Canadian Violinist, James Ehnes playing the Max Bruch Violin Concerto No 1 in G minor with the Portland Symphony Orchestra. Actually, it's because of the Bruch and the orchestra playing Beethoven's Symphony #3 [Eroica] that I decided to attend.

Take Care

Tomas

Our vancouver orchestra won a grammy for that recording of Ehnes playing some concerto. (The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra...) He's coming in June to play Tchaikovsky Concerto. Beethoven Symphony 3 is great, I love it :P Got some great solo lines, that you really need to practice for ha ha

• Site Moderator

In the news stories on TV, I've heard no mention by them that the conductor is gay. So at least that doesn't appear to be the publicized issue.

In the news stories on TV, I've heard no mention by them that the conductor is gay. So at least that doesn't appear to be the publicized issue.

No they probably don't advertise that. But PA allows gay marriage right? And I seriously doubt they are going bankrupt because of Yannick. He's an amazing conductor, and the other orchestras he works with are doing fine. I do know the musicians refused to accept they wouldn't be getting raises or pay cuts, cant' believe they don't want to chip into help. I'm sure there are other musicians out there who'd be happy to take their place and work for less.

No they probably don't advertise that. But PA allows gay marriage right? And I seriously doubt they are going bankrupt because of Yannick. He's an amazing conductor, and the other orchestras he works with are doing fine. I do know the musicians refused to accept they wouldn't be getting raises or pay cuts, cant' believe they don't want to chip into help. I'm sure there are other musicians out there who'd be happy to take their place and work for less.

Pennsylvania does not allow gay marriage. Also, I checked the prices for tickets on a weekday show (not even a weekend), and damn are they expensive. They are $90-$100 for cheap, nose bleed seats. Maybe they should try lowering their prices a bit, especially in hard economic times. I like orchestra concerts and enjoy going to them, but I wouldn't pay $100 to sit up in the far balcony, even if its as good as the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Pennsylvania does not allow gay marriage. Also, I checked the prices for tickets on a weekday show (not even a weekend), and damn are they expensive. They are $90-$100 for cheap, nose bleed seats. Maybe they should try lowering their prices a bit, especially in hard economic times. I like orchestra concerts and enjoy going to them, but I wouldn't pay $100 to sit up in the far balcony, even if its as good as the Philadelphia Orchestra.

It's interesting because our orchestra here in Van City, has the highest amount of subrsciptions of all American/Canadian Orchestras. Hmm our orchestra won a juno and a gramy and the far back seats are usally $70-80 so not that much cheaper Tety. But we're a smaller city than Phily. Our theathre holds 3,200. How much does Verizon hall hold?

They have a student deal:

The Philadelphia Orchestra offers several options for college students to attend subscription concerts for reduced prices, including the eZseatU college ticket program, which allows access to unlimited subscription concerts for a $25 membership fee; $10 student understudy tickets available online; and $8 student rush tickets at the Box Office.

$25 for a full year is pretty cheap!

http://www.philorch.org/ezseatu.html

They have a 140 mill grant though oo...HOWS the money used up hmm?

The article didn't say it directly, but I think it implied that all they can touch on that 140 mil is the interest.