Dialogue woes...

Ok. I'm in sort of a rut with one of my characters. He's a Mayor of this city in my story and he has a speech impediment he received from a childhood disease that makes him speak with a lisp.

I'm frustrated because I like making my characters unique, but how do you write a lisp without sounded stilted and making it frustrating for a reader to read easily. As it stands:

Ith thort of like writing like thith for lineth and lineth and lineth, thentence upon thentence. Thouthandth and thouthandth of annoying mithpellingth.

So I guess my question is, for all you intrepid folks, how much is too much? Am I worrying about nothing here? Or what? I guess this applies to any accent you attempt to put into dialogue for that matter.

Thanks in advance!

-dio :ph34r:

I want to warn you about overuse of this device. It makes the dialog hard to understand and follow.

If I were trying it, I think that I would use it sparingly and just enough to give flavor to the character and not difficulty to the reader.

Great! Thanks yall for all the great responses. I think I've found a happy medium between description and using it sparingly in the dialogue. I think I can get my point across without all thoth additionth.

Dom, you were right. I had a couple lengthy speeches in my dialogue, and it was: A) Annoying to write and B ) Painful to read. (And yes, he does happen to give the weather more than the news ^_^ )

Thanks again for the suggestions! :D