10 words you need to stop misspelling

NaperVic

Oh crap, I've broken ALOT of those rules, THEIR gonna have an EFFECT on my RIGHTING if ITS not changed soon. THAN I be more betterer.

Thanks Vic, I've seen things by Oatmeal before and always get a laugh from them. This was funny too, but I agree with Nephy - Buy Dolphin Free Writing!

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know! At least I'm not killing dolphins. But I've been editing recently (big job, btw :) ) and it has totally buggered up my ability with apostrophes. I used to be spot on with them simply intuitively. Now I'm so unsure, even if I can rationalise it as right I'm in a state of fear :P

I liked the 'alot' example. A corrollary is 'awhile'.

I liked the 'definately' example. A corrolory is 'confidant'. Although, I suspect definately might become a legitimate usage for an emphasised 'definitely' in time.

He forgot past / passed.

And lose / loose, while another bugbear, is curious. We have a dialect usage in Scotland, where someone might say loss. 'did you loss the kids when you were out?', 'I'm gonna loss the will to live'.

I thought the thing with saying 'loss' instead of 'lose' in Scotland was just a spoken thing, and that it was still written 'lose'? I must admit, the few times I've heard it done, it sounds more to me like 'lose' with the o almost omitted entirely ('luhss').

I'm always having trouble with ridiculous privileges and correspondence. (I'm always spelling it -ance!)