Interview tips

Y_B

• Site Administrator

Nah, job shorthand. Everyone gets it. I often had stuff like: PF @ LTR 2nd bid, non-u, 20k, city jury, permit 7w, FDoJ 12-5. Then for my boss I'd have to translate the project foreman from LTR counter offered the 2nd bid for 20k less and the job had a city jurisdiction. I knew all the permit offices back then so I'd know it was one with a 7 week wait on the permit but they needed us on the job by the 5th of December (at that point I'd make a note to squeeze for more cash based on expedited submittal issues/costs). Not to mention I half the time I was looking at my job/manpower schedule or at the bid proposal and was writing without looking :P Mastering the skill of a phone convo while doing 2 other things is vital in any sort of office job really.

Even though my training was for nursing I learned the programs for common office work on my own and said I could and would learn the job. They gave me a shot. I kept the job and got 20% raise after 1 year because I kicked ass at it. Sometimes it's all in how you project yourself in the interview to get your foot in the door.

It sounds like your phone convo interview gave you that. You've the skills... now you just have to find the right company to hire you. Good luck!

Posted Image...................... Take a toothbrush with you and check the restroom first before presenting yourself especially if your interview is after lunch (actually happened when I was one of five to interview a very well qualified individual, who happened to have eaten prior some broccoli pasta dish). After all looks and presentation are the most on first impressions. Edited by Benji

Nah, job shorthand. Everyone gets it. I often had stuff like: PF @ LTR 2nd bid, non-u, 20k, city jury, permit 7w, FDoJ 12-5. Then for my boss I'd have to translate the project foreman from LTR counter offered the 2nd bid for 20k less and the job had a city jurisdiction. I knew all the permit offices back then so I'd know it was one with a 7 week wait on the permit but they needed us on the job by the 5th of December (at that point I'd make a note to squeeze for more cash based on expedited submittal issues/costs). Not to mention I half the time I was looking at my job/manpower schedule or at the bid proposal and was writing without looking Posted Image Mastering the skill of a phone convo while doing 2 other things is vital in any sort of office job really.

Even though my training was for nursing I learned the programs for common office work on my own and said I could and would learn the job. They gave me a shot. I kept the job and got 20% raise after 1 year because I kicked ass at it. Sometimes it's all in how you project yourself in the interview to get your foot in the door.

It sounds like your phone convo interview gave you that. You've the skills... now you just have to find the right company to hire you. Good luck!

I bet you did kick ass, you aggressive go-getter you!

I also bet you wore your office skirt just a bit higher than the others

Oh gosh, bid proposals...don't remind me. Right after freshman year I got this gig through connections working at this firm that put me in government sales and this other guy and I would just be prepping and submitting bids....we didn't have our game, or at least I didn't cuz I don't recall getting accepted very often even tho we offered competitive pricing.

Posted Image...................... Take a toothbrush with you and check the restroom first before presenting yourself especially if your interview is after lunch (actually happened when I was one of five to interview a very well qualified individual, who happened to have eaten prior some broccoli pasta dish). After all looks and presentation are the most on first impressions.

Always.

I have this ritual of restrooming before most things....splash some water on my face...check the hair...smile, crotch grab....the usual :)

Yessirrrr

You know the other day you cut off about halfway through and didn't answer the phone again...what's the deal man? wife walked in? or guyfe?

Well, a wife walking in would totally shock the hell out of me making me drop the phone - since I'm a gay boy thru and thru!

But nahhhh - must have been your sexy voice - stunned me into a coma or sumpin! Posted Image

Most likely.

But prolly not recently...I have a slight cold so my voice is kinda raspy and coarse....i mean if you like that, then it's an added bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

My history of job interviews is appalling... sometimes i wonder how i ever got employed! Still, i like to think i've learnt from my mistakes.

To what's been said, i would also add avoid being negative about your former places of employment/ bosses etc. And never forget to rehearse answers to questions. And never forget to bring along your certificates / papers / whatever you think there might be a chance you will need. And try to act relaxed and happy.

My current job, thought i'd totally failed at the interview (bumbled my way through, nervous as all hell and probably very obviously so....) and got called in for a trial shift the next day. My current boss was scary as all hell and i SO didn't want the job by the end of the interview! I happened to be pretty desperate though!!!! She told me how 2 receptionists had quit at once, and then they'd got two more. One buggered off after two weeks.... and another left for her lunch break and never came back....

It's as a receptionist at an insanely busy clinic and I have now been there for about 12 weeks. I only just feel like i've got the hang of it and there are important lawyers and QCs who come in and get angry at us all the time :( Anyway. When it's going well i love it. I feel super efficient and like i am ace at multitasking... and then invariably it all goes to hell and i wonder why i ever took the damn job at all!!! Oh yeah. I was desperate.... and i'd consider leaving... but i really really hate job interviews!!!!!!