Celebrating the Vernal Equinox

MikeL

Happy vernal equinox, everyone!

If you didn't know, that's the first day of spring. It arrives on March 20 at 12:14 am CDT (05:14 UTC). Looking for a unique way to celebrate? Why not do something you can't do any other day of the year? Stand an egg on end. That's right. It's the one day you can stand a raw egg on end on the kitchen counter. Even the most impatient of people can do it. Amaze your friends. Amaze yourself.

After that excitement, what more will you do to celebrate?

Cool Mike. I've just done it with one egg. Then another to confirm it wasn't a fluke.

There again, I dare say I'll be able to amaze myself doing the same thing tomorrow. And next week. And in three months' time Posted Image

The only scientific significance of the spring and autumn equinoxes is that day and night are the same wherever you are on the planet on just those two days in the year.

You can blame the Chinese for this urban myth (along with lots of other medicinal nonsense Posted Image)

Cool Mike. I've just done it with one egg. Then another to confirm it wasn't a fluke.

There again, I dare say I'll be able to amaze myself doing the same thing tomorrow. And next week. And in three months' time Posted Image

The only scientific significance of the spring and autumn equinoxes is that day and night are the same wherever you are on the planet on just those two days in the year.

You can blame the Chinese for this urban myth (along with lots of other medicinal nonsense Posted Image)

Try it again tomorrow; then let us know if it's a myth.

Ha ha - if I haven't eaten them by then :)

Edit: apparently it's not strictly true that day and night are equal length on these two days - due to refraction, the sun is "bent" through the Earth's atmosphere to increase the day length slightly

Edited by Zombie

How am I gonna keep my eggs till then? Posted Image And I ate one for lunch so there's just one left. Posted Image

You'll have to accept the experiment results with new eggs.

Meantime, you can have side bets on the outcome (I can't bet because I know what the result will be Posted Image )

THIS IS SO COOL! will it work here in the UK?

I'm actually going to go out and buy eggs tomorrow!!!!!

It will work anywhere in the world, but I'm not sure about tomorrow. Good luck.

• Site Administrator

Just as a small aside, Spring in Australia starts on 1st September, not 20th March. Autumn started on 1st March. :P

• Like 1

Egg

Someone asked me elsewhere why one egg in the above picture is not standing on end. I left it horizontal so viewers would know the other egg was actually upright and this was not some sort of photographic trick. You might say it's part of the control group. Posted Image

Just balanced my remaining egg on end again, a week after the spring equinox. But no fanfare of triumphal trumpets. I feel sad in a way. It would be nice to have physical contact in your own kitchen with the "celestial mechanics", such as can be experienced in a total solar eclipse, or at those megalithic sites where the sun aligns with stones, or shines into an inner room on just one day a year. Its this sort of experience that jerks us out of our day to day nose-to-the-grind existence and makes us realize that we are all just specks in a vast cosmos and unimaginable eons of time.

Sorry Mike. I feel like a real party pooper Posted Image

• Like 1

Just balanced my remaining egg on end again, a week after the spring equinox. But no fanfare of triumphal trumpets. I feel sad in a way. It would be nice to have physical contact in your own kitchen with the "celestial mechanics", such as can be experienced in a total solar eclipse, or at those megalithic sites where the sun aligns with stones, or shines into an inner room on just one day a year. Its this sort of experience that jerks us out of our day to day nose-to-the-grind existence and makes us realize that we are all just specks in a vast cosmos and unimaginable eons of time.

Sorry Mike. I feel like a real party pooper Posted Image

No need to apologize, Zombie. It appears you have the "touch". I can't do it today, so I'll have to rest on the laurels demonstrated in my pictures.

No trumpets? TADA Posted Image

That egg is not very fresh now, is it?

That egg is not very fresh now, is it?

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Definitely not one to be boiled - I wanna see that critter first Posted Image

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Definitely not one to be boiled - I wanna see that critter first Posted Image

well I think MikeL was aiming at the fact that old eggs are lighter therefore ... hmmm.... would that help in balancing the egg or not? Fresh eggs definitely hold together better which would make it easier to balance I guess. But you say you managed to balance an old egg...?

Gotta be 10 days old. Maybe if I shift it from the fridge to the airing cupboard it'll hatch ...

bah, ten days is not bad! :P I thought it was over a month...

• 11 months later...

It's always great to know your eggs are well balanced at least one day of the year.   I wonder if it's a good idea to eat them on that day.   Maybe they would be helpful for people who need as much balance as possible, like people who work in a circus.   The girls who stand on elephants while they trot around a ring, or the people on the tightrope.   If you make an omelet will it turn out more perfectly balanced, with all the ingredients evenly spaced and symmetrical?  

Maybe they could take the place of gyroscopes in inertial guidance systems.   This could save some time and expense in production.

Eggs may be a more balanced source of nutrition on this day as well.  I wonder if the FDA has any data on this possibility.

A big question for farmers is, are chickens better able to lay eggs on this day?  If so, are they being coerced into increasing their production?  This may account for the use of eggs during the Easter season, since there may be a surplus of eggs this time of year due to chickens being more productive.   Of course, there may be a potential effect on chicks hatched from eggs laid this day as well.   Are these chicks more stable than their peers from other times of the year?   More stable chickens could be an important improvement for those who work on chicken farms.

Then there's the packing of eggs for distribution.   Is this process improved on this day of the year, or possibly made more difficult due to the desire of the eggs to stand on end? 

It's amazing how much influence eggs have on our lives.  Who would of guessed?!   I can think of a hundred other benefits well balanced eggs could offer society.   Unfortunately, I need to go eat before my eggs get cold!