Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Well, I loved the new chapter.  Granger gets to find out what Caroline has to put up with just a lot more intensive.  I do hope that Jardines and Jacobs are close because I have a feeling that Granger and his crew are going to have to rescue the Egyptian artistocrat from his men. 

Granger is quick to realize that the men don't seem to respect the officers but what is worse is that the officers don't seem to be able to enforce their will on the men.  In the British system, even if the officer wasn't respected; he was at least obeyed because you couldn't afford not to and keep your back smooth. 

I have to wonder how Granger will arrive in Alexandria, in the hijab or in uniform??? 

Oh, plus I forgot to comment on the pic of the arabic man in the story...  Is it Omar Borkan al-Gala?  He was the man supposedly kicked out of Saudi Arabia for being so good looking that they were afraid he would cause the women to forget themselves...

Edited by centexhairysub

Well, I loved the new chapter.  Granger gets to find out what Caroline has to put up with just a lot more intensive.  I do hope that Jardines and Jacobs are close because I have a feeling that Granger and his crew are going to have to rescue the Egyptian artistocrat from his men. 

Granger is quick to realize that the men don't seem to respect the officers but what is worse is that the officers don't seem to be able to enforce their will on the men.  In the British system, even if the officer wasn't respected; he was at least obeyed because you couldn't afford not to and keep your back smooth. 

I have to wonder how Granger will arrive in Alexandria, in the hijab or in uniform??? 

Oh, plus I forgot to comment on the pic of the arabic man in the story...  Is it Omar Borkan al-Gala?  He was the man supposedly kicked out of Saudi Arabia for being so good looking that they were afraid he would cause the women to forget themselves...

I mentioned this in the reviews, but Omar fabricated his 'too hot for Saudi women' story.   He wasn't deported for looking that good.  It was easy to believe that, though.  Surprise!

Foto-de-Omar-Borkan-Al-Gala..jpg

• Like 1

And we've heard NOTHING from the peanut gallery!

Actually I think Winkler in a dress will have to be a tease that endures. I still think that he constantly goes beyond the position he serves. I expect some wine one night may make him vocal about being rescued by this great man when he was injured, robbed and begging.

As for the adventure. I do not consider myself unbrave in any sense of the word and I have shown myself that cowardess is certainly not a trait in my person. But this trek is too scary to consider given the history. If we find their behavior today barbaric in some situations, its because they have become more "civilized" in their barbarism. The ottomans were the worlds experts in torture and could keep a man alive begging for death for weeks or months. And slow boiling a man to death in oil was a favorite.

Given that information, I would have left Bertie to his own devices in this matter and sailed around in chase. This would be madness and almost certain to end poorly. So it will be interesting to watch it unfold. I hope it does not take too many chapters to get back to humanity.

As for Jardines and company, The English are not well suffered there where the value system of each is so vastly different. And they do not know the land. Jardines has scouted it a couple times yes, but that by no means makes him either knowledgeable or welcome. But somehow I think he will rescue Granger and Winkler and earn his way back home. We will see.

Snark, snark, snark!

You know the writing is good when the emotion of fear resides in the story as you read it. You are nervous for a completely fictional character. lol

And yes, those legs look a mile long. They go all the way down to the floor!

• Like 1

How is that even though I knew the Frenchies were coming I still had the gut reaction of "The French?  Shit!"?  

Another great morning read thanks to Chapter 52; thank you Mark Arbour.  Lots of things, Akbar really went through the ringer a bit going from milquetoast to leader and confidant nationalist to someone worried about the sovereignty of his homeland.  Granger, of course, was just...Granger, even though his trip just got a lot more complicated but potentially easier too (assuming he really can drop the dress and make up for good).  Akbar and Granger, YUM!  Winkler was (continues to be) an unsung hero, supporting George through his crazy tribulations, I wonder what a day in his life is like.  Is it like being the painting next to the Mona Lisa?  As for the French?  Shit!

Edited by Miles Long

I thought the Sphinx lost it's nose in the French attack launched by Napoleon?

And I prefer to think of Winkler as the amusing hero. He is one of the few who can get cheeky with Granger on a regular basis. Were he ever injured working for Granger I think he would lose it totally. Even a flesh wound would probably make Granger crazy with worry and would set him fawning over him like his own child. I think he not only keeps Granger's back but also provides a certain amount of balance. He is indeed one of the great unsung heros of the story. And his love for Granger is obvious. I think that no matter who Granger ends up with when he retires on that uncharted Island in the middle of the ocean, Winkler will be there with him.

And if he's really lucky, Granger will bring along Llewelyn to keep him company.

I tried to scan and import some Sphinx photos, no luck so far. It scary but I find myself agreeing with Ricky re Winkler. Having looked the Sphinx in the eye I have often wondered myself about that. Here is something I found on it.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_sphinx.html

Thanks for that. It was an interesting article. And I'm headed back to find my history teacher, dig him up and feed him the article. lol.

I'm smarter now, feeling much like the boy conned into picking up the penny on the stove only to find it was an unwise thing to do when the stove was still hot. ;)

• Like 1

These should have been in my last post ( en vagyok a bal oldalon  - 1976).

Sorry screwed up again.

You know that you can edit, right? Hold your mouse over the entry and look by the quote and multi-quote buttons. ;)

So I meant to post that teaser here.  WTF, I'll do it again.  In the next chapter, Granger runs into someone he never expected to meet, and someone I'll bet none of you are expecting either.  :devil::evil:

I'm going to take a stab at this.... á la Sheldon Cooper....

Mohammed being the most common forename, and Lee the most common surname in the world.... I will hedge the probabilities and guess Mohammed Lee...

BTW, I know I'm quiet lately.... currently taking a well deserved break in the Czech Republic....

Edited by Westie

I made a list of all the Frenchmen and Spaniards he has encountered to date. At the top of said list is Napoleon. However you did not say 'meet again' so I'm still working on it. Maidstone, I don't see how, but with Mark anything is possible.

For those patiently waiting (as I) for the next chapter, the following might be a distraction of interest.

http://www.lindahall.org/events_exhib/exhibit/exhibits/napoleon/learn.shtml

So I meant to post that teaser here.  WTF, I'll do it again.  In the next chapter, Granger runs into someone he never expected to meet, and someoAne I'll bet none of you are expecting either.  :devil::evil:

As I said in the other post about this, quit teasing and bring on the chapter.  I will hazard a guess though and say he runs into the Bey that he took the ruby from.

There are 86 admitted adherents to this series. In any given chapter an average of 20 + say they like that chapter. Yet we have had as low as 2 reviews to some of these chapters. Now, exactly why should Mark rush to give us what we want in view of the above. Come on guys ( and gals ) get onto your keyboards and send.

Now, my absolute last guess of who it is. Prince William of Gloucester with the added bonus to us of finding out the name and gender of Georges latest child, straight from the sperm donors mouth.

• Like 1

There are 86 admitted adherents to this series. In any given chapter an average of 20 + say they like that chapter. Yet we have had as low as 2 reviews to some of these chapters. Now, exactly why should Mark rush to give us what we want in view of the above. Come on guys ( and gals ) get onto your keyboards and send.

Now, my absolute last guess of who it is. Prince William of Gloucester with the added bonus to us of finding out the name and gender of Georges latest child, straight from the sperm donors mouth.

Don't forget that the debate here in the forums is a great feedback too - its not just about the reviews (as awesome as I'm sure mark finds them)

HH Prince William was Colonel of th 6th Foot Regiment (Fusileers) at this time.  They were deployed in the Indies at this point, and so if we were to see him anywhere, it probably would have been in the tropics.  That said, he wasn't the most "hands on" of colonels, so it's likely he would never have left London

Actually I think it's Winston Churchil's grandfather.

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, Hon. RA (30 November 1874 – 24 January 1965)

Wiki

Actually I think it's Winston Churchil's grandfather.

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, Hon. RA (30 November 1874 – 24 January 1965)

Wiki

Neither of his grandfathers - paternal or maternal - were born yet.  They were in fact over 20 years away.

His Great Grandfather, later the 6th Duke of Marlborough but for now the Earl of Sunderland, is 5 years old.

His Great Great Grandfather is at this time known as the Marquis of Blandford, and is basically residing at Whiteknights Park Estate waiting for his father to die, passing the time by collecting antiques and debts.

His Great Great Great Grandfather is the 4th (and in story terms, current) Duke of Marlborough.  He is by the standards of the time a slightly older man, and he has retired to his Estate at Blenheim, filling his time with amateur astronomy and backgammon.

In fact, apart from John Churchill (the first Duke) and Winston himself, the whole Marlborough-Spencer-Churchill lot were distinctly unimpressive in my view.

West

• Like 1

Legacy character, my foot. Will we learn why Capt. Travers changed sides after his capture? As it stands now, if he went back to England he would be hanged (or is that drawn and quartered). What might (will) Granger get him to do, that might restore honor to him, his name and family. All for the love of Johns' memory. Inquiring minds (me) want to know.

While Granger is collecting intelligence on the French fleet, escaping Egypt on an American merchant ship captained by his dead first love's father, I wonder what the British fleet is doing?  Perchance George doesn't miss the action after all and is the last one to return to jolly old England after all?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..