Hello GA!

As many of you know, we've recently lost one of our own. Nathan89 was a valuable and special friend who touched many people's hearts. In chat, we were thinking of a way to remember him and do something in his memory. Making a donation in his name was suggested.

To that end, I'm creating this thread to memorialize not only Nathan, but for all of the special people in our lives. For example, I recently lost my grandfather, a man who had inspired me throughout my life. He, like Nathan, had an especially large heart. Another loss to my life this year was a young, closeted man I knew in college. He recently lost his fight with depression. There was another man who helped save my life in 2002. I wish I could have done the same for him.

So what I'd like to suggest is that we remember these special people by posting a few sentences about what they mean/meant to us and include a link to the charity which received the donation in their name(s).

Here's mine: Donation to GLADD 07/07/12: For my grandfather and my friends, may you continue to inspire me!

For those not certain which charities to donate to, I'll include a list of ones I've found. If you have one to suggest, please PM me and I'll happily add it. I'll especially need help with international organizations. Currently, we cannot donate directly to GA. Myr tells me there's some issues with that, but I'll add directions for that if the chance arises. Don't forget that a subscription to GA's premium services helps the site and is only $8 (approximately).

I do not ask you to state how much you donated, as that is private. Some of us can afford to donate a hundred bucks or more and some of us only a dollar. Please do not use this thread as a way to guilt or shame others. This is merely to remind ourselves of our loved ones in a positive way.

Some suggested GLBT-friendly charities:

Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice -- addressing "the lack of funding for women-specifically lesbians and women of color."

Gay & Lesbian Leadership Institute -- tracking and training the future gay leaders of tomorrow.

GLAAD -- by ensuring that the stories of LGBT people are heard through the media, GLAAD promotes understanding, increases acceptance, and advances equality.

Gay-Straight Alliance Network -- a youth leadership organization that connects school-based Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs) to each other and community resources to support young people.

The Point Foundation -- providing financial support, mentoring, leadership training and hope to meritorious students who are marginalized due to sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

The Trevor Project -- the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.

Edited by Dark

Thanks Dark. I selected the Trevor Project. For Nathan. I tried to post it, but is showed all info. But, I have my ID # there if anyone wants to see. I am not telling anyone that to say I donated, and u did not, I will give that info because I was one that threw this idea out there and u took it and ran with it. So, I did donate, for Nathan. After all, I have a 7 year old grandson, and I hope if he needs someone, the help will be there. Thank again

I thought about making a donation, but I decided I'd try something a little different. From the age of 18 to 23 I used to receive calls in my home for the St. Louis County Youth Connection Helpline, which is sort of like the Trevor Project. I quit when I had a series of moves, but as many times as Nathan has helped me with my problems, I think I can start my volunteering back up in his honor.

-----

Started. Harder than it looks, this area went to hell. Will only last 2 weeks before I blow a gasket and make an issue of it to the mayor. I lasted about 2-3 hours, want to cry with what these kids are going through. To think I bless my high school days.

Edited by Houdinii
  • Like 1

Aw, all my money is really tight right now, or I would donate. I lost my mother in June, and her insurance is contesting her policy so there's a chance I'll have to pay her funeral out of pocket. Still, it's sad about Nathan, especially for someone so happy and healthy. I always volunteer once a week at the soup kitchen though. In the past three years, I've probably only missed a few weeks out of that. :)

Edited by Arpeggio