Child of the 90's- Internet Explorer

methodwriter85

Get ready to feel old, fellow Generation Yers.

I wonder if this is how Baby Boomers felt when they started running nostaglic ads for them back in the '80's.

I thought the shot of the kid getting the Dutch Boy haircut was hilarious. How many freaking blond guys got that haircut when we were in elementary school?

... Interesting; an ad for the widely-accepted as Lamest Browser Ever targeting the very people that think it's lame, who are also most likely to be encumbered by apple gear.

Complementary comment aside, NETSCAPE, FRAK YEAH! Only browser I can really trust to not be a laggy, hungry beast.

• Like 1

I was an early advocate of Internet Explorer, but IE wasn't usable until IE3.  IE2 was a cheap copycat of Netscape.  And then Netscape began to copy IE4's new features as well as  flaws (remember those "channels" and "shell-integration"?) and that's when Netscape really went wrong (and bad management team really helped the downfall of Netscape).  I am using Firefox now, but my brother is using Google Chrome which I find it really annoying.  Firefox is getting awful unfortunately, but I can't find a better browser....

Anyways, I don't think the video is really about browser war.  It's about remember the 90's.  Oh, you guys don't remember the 90's....  You're either too young to know or too old to remember.  :P

Oh, and the video is wrong.  It wasn't just one internet provider.  It was big 3.  AOL, CompuServe and Prodigy.

Mozilla is the non-profit spin-off of Netscape, so yes I am for the Fox biting the IE :D

Chrome isn't bad, it's just weird. Some sites just hate google chrome for some reason.

The Big 3 Browser now are: Google Chrome, IE, and Firefox (according to some reports, Google has surpassed Microsoft as the largest browser).

The net is also changing, does anyone remember Macromedia Shockwave vs. Java fights in the 90's

Sweet Jesus Lord, it's true. Chrome is in first place. Madness! Chrome is evil. EEEVVVVVVVILLLLLLLL!!1111oneoneoneleventyone.

I was born in the 90s, obviously. Though I don't quite know what went on at the time, I certainly remember the silly, weird-o ads. Not to sure as to the state of the net at the time, though. Six-year-olds weren't often on the net at the time...

• Like 1

I really don't think there is a single person between the ages of 8 to 10 in 1995 who didn't own at least pogs. I mean really, they were cheap and you could get them everywhere. I even remember that Cookie Crisp had Pogs in their cereal boxes.

Edited by methodwriter85

I really don't think there is a single person between the ages of 8 to 10 in 1995 who didn't own at least pogs. I mean really, they were cheap and you could get them everywhere. I even remember that Cookie Crisp had Pogs in their cereal boxes.

Nope never bought into the Pogs, I was waiting for the Pokemon card revolution to come in later (Damn those things chewed up a lot of my money as a pre-teen and teen along with Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic)

Can I offload a 1st edition holo blastoise on anyone?

Edited by W_L

Oh, I missed that show, no seriously I missed that show growing up as it was in 94-95 and I was 7-8 :P

For me, I was a WB's Fan Boy in the 90's:

90's Teen Drama without Buffy that's Blasphemy :D

Yes, you can't forget Dawson's Creek and the epic love triangle :) Plus, I think this show contributed the most influence on GLBT teens and awareness in the 90's

Roswell and Angel were early 2000's, so I count them in for the 00's, when I was actually a Teenager for influence :o

I was 8-9 years old when I watched My So-Called Life. My family wasn't exactly strict with me when it came to shows...

You can't mention 90's teen drama without showing this:

This is more Private Tim's generation than mine, but damn it, this was a great show. The reboot doesn't even come close.

"Donna Martin Graduates!"

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Well, we also need to include some preludes from the 90's as well for the adults during that time:

Before there was Smallville, there was Lois and Clark :P

It was a fun show and my first taste of Soap Opera like TV, but based around Superman (The season with the Wedding was just a Soap Opera with evil twins, amnesia, and a ticking clock at the wedding)

This was the ultimate in 90's soap:

So many great bits from Melrose Place...some of my favorites were:

1. The time Kimberly sent off a bomb

2. The time Kimberly ripped off her wig to show a gnarly scar

3. The time Sydney almost joined a cult

4. The great Amanda/Allison fights

5. The time that Allison's stalker shot himself on the phone

6. The time Antonio Sabato Junior showed up as Amanda's crazy ex-husband

7. The time that Kimbery stole Jo's baby and breastfeed him ala The Hand that Rocks the Cradle

8. When Brooke Davis drowns in the pool

9. When Kimberly's alternate personality Betsy gets Peter locked up in the loney bin

10. When Sydney and Jane fight in the swimming pool...while Sydney is wearing their grandmother's wedding dress

Edited by methodwriter85

Method, which Power Ranger did you have a Crush on? :D

Seriously, I remember even at 9 that I had a Crush on?

I loved Jason, but my heart went to Rocky as the red ranger (I still thought Jason was better as the overall leader though, even though Tommy grew into the role well over the years I watched the show as a kid)

Well, American media culture really didn't move over to Europe that quickly until the 00's to be honest. Thank you internet!

In terms of cartoons, here's my top 3 from the 90's:

Number 1 has to be batman

Number 2 Dragon Ball z

Number 3 Beast Wars, my generations version of transformers in 3D

• Like 1

Okay, bite your tongue, Andy. 90's children rule! :thumbup:

Anyway, Clueless. The movie spawned off so many trends.

"And so if the government could just get to the kitchen, re-arrange some things, we could certainly party with the Haitians. And in conclusion, may I please remind you that it does not say RSVP on the Statue of Liberty."

I think Clueless was a case of coming at exactly the right time- the economy was starting to boom in 1994-1995, Kurt Cobain was dead, and teenagers were sick of grunge.

Edited by methodwriter85

Can't wait until you spawn a thread for the 00's teens :D

One last movie that spawned a million tributes:

I pretty much used Netscape through my teen years. It was the one I was shown to use and I guess I just felt really comfortable on it.

I've always found the fox cute, but the software a huge drain on the memeory, so I was a fan of a browser called Flock for ages, but then they stopped support for it :(

So I kind converted to Chrome. Not the best but it works. :P

Say, out of interest, back in the 90's when I signed up for my first webmail email account it was a @mailcity.com account provided by Lycos.

Anyone remember those? :P

Who was your first webmail account with?