The passing of an Icon - Annette Funicello

comicfan

Annette Funicello was an actress a bit before  my time. Best known as one of the original Mouseketeers she proved to have star power and was used by Walt Disney in many other movies before she began to make the beach movies most people will see on tv today. She was the sort of actress you watched and simply fell in love with. Amongst the larger stars and others who have passed recently, I just felt she should be remembered. She was an all around star - in that she sang, acted, and danced. As a child I watched her do Jiff commercials to sell peanut butter.

She suffered for years from MS and faced it bravely. Until she was robbed of the ability to write she personally answered all of her fan mail and it seems for many she will be remembered in her last starring role opposite Frankie Avalon, a long time friend, in 1987 she made Back to the Beach. It was a cult classic from the second it hit the screen, gently poking fun at the images she had made back in the 60's as well as having Pee Wee Herman guest star in it.

Before Micheal J. Fox came forward she was the face of MS for most people. May she be remembered fondly.

• Like 3

I remember watching all her movies and watched her in the Mickey Mouse Club.  I also remember when she announced she had Ms and was the face for the disease long before it was fashionable for actors/actresses to do so.   She always kept the cheery girl next door aura even past her youth. She will be missed.

I remember watching the Mickey Mouse club when it first came on and she was one of the original Mouseketeers.  She grew up on tv and while her movie career was not academy award stuff,they did  make a profit.  The thing about Annette was she was so likeable and decent.  When she revealed she had MS it was a tragedy.  Yet  she faced it with bravery and  dignity, not whining or self-pity.  She had class.

• Like 1

Annette was special as a mouseketeer.  And showed class  dealing with her MS.  I am very sorry she has gone even though it appears best for her and those around her.

I must Confess while my friends were talking about Annette I was watching Tim Considine, Johnnie Crawford, Cubby yeah even at nine and ten I was bent.. Pax

• Like 2