Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Is your job "alternative" friendly?

Sasha Distan

I work in government. No one in our office has a visible tat, and I don't think anyone has a piercing, aside form women's earrings. Most just have two.

Would I get fired for coming in altered? Probably not, but I might not be hired, either.

I have no piercings or ink, though I considered both. Couldn't decide on a design to live with the rest of my life, and just never had the drive to get pierced. Now that I'm older, it might look like a desperate attempt to deny my age.

I thin in a way, it's wise. if you can't decide on something that you're gonna love forever, then not getting it down is actually the braver decision. i know way too many people with "yeah i don't really like it anymore" tats. and that's not a place anyone wants to be.

Ashi, you're giving me a lot of ideas :P (Write your short story before I start plotting :o )

Being around Chinese restaurants, in and out of the family, I get what you mean. It is so suffocatingly hot in there. Steamers boiling up and heat from Woks burning on full is horrible. When I was a kid, I visited my aunt's restaurant in Detroit and it was a horrible experience. I was sitting on a stool answering phones for my aunt for deliveries in the same kitchen (kind of a joke job as my mom was visiting her sister and brought me along with her), my younger cousin does that job usually and he smiled to see me take over for him. I've done dry heat and wet saunas in the last few years, but nothing in those rooms even neared the temperatures of those kitchens. It's a combination of both things at the same time, because you can feel the moisture in the air, but also the heat as you're breathing in. (Coming from Working class family to Middle class profession, I know how different the two worlds can be, just never thought about writing it down).

However, I love cooking and food. I do avoid several meats though like Rabbits (poor bunnies), snakes (eww....enough said), and turtles (they don't do anything to you).