Does writing reviews make you a better person?

• Site Administrator

There is a report button for reviews that are questionable in Stories, yes. The moderation team reviews the issue, from both the side of the reviewer and their comments, and the author and their reply, if any. Each case is individual. Usually, unless there is a clear cut case of extreme abuse on the members' part (such as cursing, threats, intention to escalate the problem beyond the initial review/conflict), we allow the author to decide on deletion of the review. Any formal moderation for rule breaking for abuse, toward either or both, is private between the team and that member. We do not discuss that resolution with the other members involved, addressing each separately to preserve the privacy of the members individually.

• Like 1

I once got a reveiw that basically said 'Your writing is bad and this shows you're a spoilt brat.' I didn't see the connection. I don't see it now. Such reviews are as useful as a hole in the head. If you want to be a better person, please, try something else.

The word 'stupid' is just that - a word. Did you call the author stupid? Can you actually look me in the metaphorical internet eye - the webcam? - and say that you said 'damn, you gotta be pretty thick to write something like this'? Because if the answer is no, then I'm sorry. No. That kind of reaction against a non-bigoted, non-expletive word is not reasonable

The simple answer to the question is no, I did not call the author stupid. The author had written something that I found difficult to accept without some chain of events leading up to what was written. My review stated why it was that I had found it to be so; unless some combination of X, Y or Z proceeded the incident in question and because without any of the progression, it just made the authors characters seem a bit stupid. I also stated that I had liked this, this and that about the story afterwards and that I was looking forward to seeing what the author had done with the story. This was the first review.

But if you think the characters are inconsistent? The world-building flawed? That is what reviews are for. They are so that readers following on from you can keep this in mind if they choose to read the story.

There was a second review, two chapters later. In this I wrote that I couldn't continue reading the story because what had prompted me to write in the first review, was even more pronounced here. I went on to say why, using a different set of X's, Y's and Z's, that the story had not made the connection that needed to be made. I finished with my thought that had what was written held off until a later time in the story, it might have been a better read. The End. Until I received the author's reply.

When I started this thread these two reviews were one continuous review in my mind and not separate creatures. After reading the many posts that expanded upon my original question, I went back to my notes on the altercation. I respect that everyone responding to this thread, and some of those whom are not, have strong views on the subject of reviewing and an author's possible reaction to a less than positive review. It is very evident in the differing opinions conveyed in the posts that this is a somewhat passionate issue. So, I decided to dig up the pertinent facts within the original reviews and present them without giving up too much information in hopes of ending any guessing as to how I used the word 'stupid'. Indeed, that word may not have been the operative point in causing me to get the unpleasant reply to my review.

Please keep in mind that I read all the posts in this thread and unless a body is responding to another poster, I consider everything to be directed to me and any other further edification that other readers get out of this is entirely a bonus. I am not offended by anything that has been said I assure you. I quite like the debate and have found it to be of much help.

meh... yes.. no... whatever.   It's all internalized on both the reviewer and the reviewee... 

And that is a very good point, Lugh. Without that internalization and the resultant self-examination there might not be growth in an individual. I went in a positive direction after much thought and after some things were pointed out to me. I came to the conclusion that while I wasn't necessarily at fault, perhaps I could have written the review in an different way. At the end of the day I think that I had some positive growth as an individual by writing a review.

The simple answer to the question is no, I did not call the author stupid. The author had written something that I found difficult to accept without some chain of events leading up to what was written. My review stated why it was that I had found it to be so; unless some combination of X, Y or Z proceeded the incident in question and because without any of the progression, it just made the authors characters seem a bit stupid. I also stated that I had liked this, this and that about the story afterwards and that I was looking forward to seeing what the author had done with the story. This was the first review.

There was a second review, two chapters later. In this I wrote that I couldn't continue reading the story because what had prompted me to write in the first review, was even more pronounced here. I went on to say why, using a different set of X's, Y's and Z's, that the story had not made the connection that needed to be made. I finished with my thought that had what was written held off until a later time in the story, it might have been a better read. The End. Until I received the author's reply.

Dude, if I'm ever lucky enough to have you read something I wrote and care enough to leave reviews? I would be grateful to recieve those reviews; particularly the first one. And I would say thank you.

Because seriously, telling a writer when their characters are acting unbelievably thick is a kindness. It's such an easy mistake to slip into and can be so hard to spot in your own work.

Dude, if I'm ever lucky enough to have you read something I wrote and care enough to leave reviews? I would be grateful to recieve those reviews; particularly the first one. And I would say thank you.

Because seriously, telling a writer when their characters are acting unbelievably thick is a kindness. It's such an easy mistake to slip into and can be so hard to spot in your own work.

I agree with this. I love thoughtful reviews.

I lost a couple of readers when I made a certain plot choice in Nemesis, and these people told me why they had decided to stop reading and I thought that was really great. Didn't make me change anything that time around, but I loved having that dialogue with my readers.

During Lavender & Gold, I've had a lot of readers comment on the choices made by my characters. Some really like Ben, some really like Mark, some really dislike the way one or the other of them handle difficult situations, and I've taken into consideration the opinions that my readers have formed of my characters when I've written on. It makes me happy when people take the time to tell me why they don't like something about my story. It means they care, and that's lovely.