'I don't want to go back alone'--Cute, gay short film

That's a great little film, Thorn. Thanks for posting it :) I felt sorry for his best friend Giovana getting sidelined, though :(

A full length version with the same cast is currently in production, due for cinema release in 2014. I hope it can sustain the charm of this short feature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don%27t_Want_to_Go_Back_Alone

• Like 1

Cool short!  Love it!  It's weird Giovanna resembles Maggie from Edge of Seventeen a bit....  They both fell in love with a gay guy....

So many great moments in that movie.  The small song in it is great also.  The ending could be redone though.  Nice ending, but a few moments are unconvincing. 

The Mudge Boy was a short before it was made into full length feature, so I am going to keep an eye out for this one, when it's finally made full feature.  Cool!  I love it.

Cool short!  Love it!  It's weird Giovanna resembles Maggie from Edge of Seventeen a bit....  They both fell in love with a gay guy....

So many great moments in that movie.  The small song in it is great also.  The ending could be redone though.  Nice ending, but a few moments are unconvincing. 

The Mudge Boy was a short before it was made into full length feature, so I am going to keep an eye out for this one, when it's finally made full feature.  Cool!  I love it.

The Edge of Seventeen is such an awesome movie! :)

The Edge of Seventeen is such an awesome movie! :)

Yes, it is!  The best movie about gay coming-of-age like EVAR! 

But I really like the short you posted too.  I am watching it the second time (because the first time I was chatting with you guys so I didn't pay too much attention.).  It makes me think... these kids are good!  How do you direct a movie with kids like that?  Don't know if they had previous acting experience, but they are naturals!   I guess some people just have it in them....  I wish the full feature version are played by the same stars.  They are good.  And I LOVE the song.  Whoever wrote the screenplay is a genius (except the ending, maybe they hurried through but it's not a big deal.  It's easily fixable).

Edited by Ashi
  • Like 1

Yes, it is!  The best movie about gay coming-of-age like EVAR! 

But I really like the short you posted too.  I am watching it the second time (because the first time I was chatting with you guys so I didn't pay too much attention.).  It makes me think... these kids are good!  How do you direct a movie with kids like that?  Don't know if they had previous acting experience, but they are naturals!   I guess some people just have it in them....  I wish the full feature version are played by the same stars.  They are good.  And I LOVE the song.  Whoever wrote the screenplay is a genius (except the ending, maybe they hurried through but it's not a big deal.  It's easily fixable).

From what I've understood, the full feature version will star the same kids. Though, of course, they'll be a little bit older... The acting is very lovely, though, it's true. Although that opinion may also be coloured by the fact that they're not speaking a language that you know (unless you do know Portuguese, of course), because it's much easier to tell if lines are delivered well in your native language than in one you don't speak or don't speak as well.

• Like 1

From what I've understood, the full feature version will star the same kids. Though, of course, they'll be a little bit older... The acting is very lovely, though, it's true. Although that opinion may also be coloured by the fact that they're not speaking a language that you know (unless you do know Portuguese, of course), because it's much easier to tell if lines are delivered well in your native language than in one you don't speak or don't speak as well.

It's the little body language I was looking at.  Of course, the cinematographer did a good job also, put the close ups on the right moment (collages) and cut the unnecessary parts of the frame out of it.  Though little gestures like disappointments and overjoyed without  consciously thinking through are genuine feeling, so I am glad they didn't act too much.  (though there are a few lines I would cut out...  show don't tell, basically)  That's how I judged it.

I always watch foreign films in their native languages for the reason you mentioned....  I don't think voice actors can deliver the same performance as the actors "put themselves through the role."  Though I don't understand Portuguese, I still know from the sound to know how they know.  It's something we could empathize, just like the ending, to me at least, I could tell who is who by the pace of the foot steps and how heavy are their strides and I would imagine blind person would be even more keen on that.  It's the same kind of empathy.  (BTW, Percy wrote a blog about a scenario where he was talking with a Chinese person, in which both parties didn't know each other's language, which I think demonstrate this point very well).  So I felt that part of the ending was a little unconvincing (and Leo outpoured his emotion without confirming who he was talking to and Giovanna came back acted like her heart had not been broken just a moment before it).  Like I said, it's easily fixable.  Thanks for sharing TW!  :)  Beats Netflix when it comes to quality gay film selection.  :)

Edited by Ashi
  • Like 1