49 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

Damn, maybe we should throw them a parade, like some victorious sport's team.  They are better than Joey Chestnut! 

bb35db77d88330e027ba6ca3343491c1.jpg

Repeats Friday ??

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Bill W said:

Damn, maybe we should throw them a parade, like some victorious sport's team.  They are better than Joey Chestnut! 

I asked myself, who the heck is 'Joey Chestnut' ?

Joey Chestnut - Wikipedia

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHje5Xo24QEwKqQtMJ7zutnTmFd_j8_e9I08XAkTlgzwj4pXkDiZGpHP4RGCD7bgNj2mxaiw6VozxfBnE

It turns out that I have seen quite a few of his videos (I am bad with names). Let the parade begin!!!

:thankyou:

Edited by sandrewn
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, sandrewn said:

I asked myself, who the heck is 'Joey Chestnut' ?

Joey Chestnut - Wikipedia

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHje5Xo24QEwKqQtMJ7zutnTmFd_j8_e9I08XAkTlgzwj4pXkDiZGpHP4RGCD7bgNj2mxaiw6VozxfBnE

It turns out that I have seen quite a few of his videos (I am bad with names). Let the parade begin!!!

:thankyou:

I apologize.  I should have explained who he was in my original post, since not everyone would be as familiar with the hot dog eating King as we are in the states.  My bad! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

It's difficult to tell which way this spider is going.  Its legs say it is going in one direction, although the colorful portion of its back says something else.  It's almost as if its got an elaborately colored pair of wings. 

3b8defdcd9927e9cea72dc40733b71e8.jpg

Rainbow spiny orb weaver (Gasteracantha westringi) spider

:cowboy:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

2bf00c839b3bd8f0113bbff25c54fc7a.jpg

Not only this this spider appear to be sad, it looks ancient as well, but from this photo it's difficult to tell how it got the name peacock spider.   It's not due to its bright coloring, because we've seen other spiders more brightly colored, even in this collection, so I'm not sure why it was given this name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Bill W said:
5 hours ago, sandrewn said:

2bf00c839b3bd8f0113bbff25c54fc7a.jpg

Not only this this spider appear to be sad, it looks ancient as well, but from this photo it's difficult to tell how it got the name peacock spider.   It's not due to its bright coloring, because we've seen other spiders more brightly colored, even in this collection, so I'm not sure why it was given this name.

That's probably why it's so sad, lol :gikkle:

• Haha 2

0ab879a35130c27c45f5a00a5bae93aa.jpg

Fossil spider inside amber

a579c93cae458f115a2e6befeebdf6ce.jpg

Jurassic fossil spiders were a rare find, until the 21st century, when farmers in China began turning up Jurassic-period arachnids on a hillside.

Daohugou, Inner Mongolia, China

d7917c38fcc2fb73e21df6134f1e3a89.jpg

Viciria praemandibularis female and spiderlings

(Photo by Pen Araneae)

On the bottom side of a leaf I saw this female Viciria praemandibularis tending to her spiderlings which recently emerged from their white egg sacs. There were about 25-30 of them. The spiderlings seemed motionless and the mother also stayed put, not bothered by my camera. I was surprised to see that the spiderlings look so different from their parents. The parents have slender abdomen. The spiderlings looked short and chubby with mint-green adomen. The parent are dark red for the male and orange-white for the female. They are quite a colorful family of spiders. It would be interesting to watch how the spiderlings' color and form change as they mature.

• Wow 2
3 hours ago, sandrewn said:

0ab879a35130c27c45f5a00a5bae93aa.jpg

Fossil spider inside amber

a579c93cae458f115a2e6befeebdf6ce.jpg

Jurassic fossil spiders were a rare find, until the 21st century, when farmers in China began turning up Jurassic-period arachnids on a hillside.

Daohugou, Inner Mongolia, China

Now this is the way I prefer interacting with spiders, when they're preserved in amber or fossilized in rock.  Although, if these are prehistoric spiders, they could be the remains of baby spiders and their parents could have been the size of compact cars.  

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, sandrewn said:

Aw, how touching.  The mommy instinct even exists is spiders. 

However, this closeness also helps to ensure that you can kill the entire family at once.  Since you might miss some or they might crawl up your pants (trousers) or legs if you attempted to step on them, the safest way to eradicate them would be by using an insecticide.  

d7917c38fcc2fb73e21df6134f1e3a89.jpg

Viciria praemandibularis female and spiderlings

(Photo by Pen Araneae)

On the bottom side of a leaf I saw this female Viciria praemandibularis tending to her spiderlings which recently emerged from their white egg sacs. There were about 25-30 of them. The spiderlings seemed motionless and the mother also stayed put, not bothered by my camera. I was surprised to see that the spiderlings look so different from their parents. The parents have slender abdomen. The spiderlings looked short and chubby with mint-green adomen. The parent are dark red for the male and orange-white for the female. They are quite a colorful family of spiders. It would be interesting to watch how the spiderlings' color and form change as they mature.

• Haha 2

4da91f8dad1576e336f62e12d2037b72.jpg

Mouse Spider

Mouse Spider Facts First of all, the term Mouse Spider names a genus of spiders containing 13 known species. Further, all but one of these evolved as endemic to one continent. The lone exception remains native to Chile, in South America.

bbd890825c43d0bd4a6d621a53287863.jpg

Four-spot Orb-weaver Spider

a83c195fd38f368ee30305ae69b620ec.jpg

The Tiger Spider, Bolivia's Own Ferocious Striped Predator

• Wow 1
4 hours ago, sandrewn said:

4da91f8dad1576e336f62e12d2037b72.jpg

Mouse Spider

Mouse Spider Facts First of all, the term Mouse Spider names a genus of spiders containing 13 known species. Further, all but one of these evolved as endemic to one continent. The lone exception remains native to Chile, in South America.

If you were sitting in dimly lit room and this spider began to dangle down from a single stand of web, you might think it was a miniature alien with slanted eyes and a moustache.  

• Haha 2