43 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.b719d9c7afe7f9e31441bc7594d58b64.jpeg

Which is the only state that recognizes a state spider?

The Carolina Wolf Spider was named South Carolina's official state spider back in 2000. It is currently the only state that recognizes a state spider.

:cowboy:

It's interesting that South Carolina would do that, and from the look of his beard, the spider in the photo might have been around when that happened.  😋

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Bill W said:

It's interesting that South Carolina would do that, and from the look of his beard, the spider in the photo might have been around when that happened.  😋

If it is a 'he', that would make him over or about 20 generations old, no surprise about that beard.

Carolina Wolf Spider Facts, Identification, & Pictures

Just for your information, 20 generations for us would be around 400-600 years (for the average person).

• Wow 2
27 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.c67c1d8880742fc04f68d4539d116001.jpeg

Dead Leaf Spider / Rolled-leaf Spider Araneidae - Poltys sp.

That's a spider?  You could have fooled me.  Now I'll have to see if I can find out what a live one looks like.  

Ah, the others didn't have what looks like a long tailed appendage.  I'm still not sure what I'm seeing here.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Fingers Crossed 2

8 hours ago, Bill W said:

That's a spider?  You could have fooled me.  Now I'll have to see if I can find out what a live one looks like.  

Ah, the others didn't have what looks like a long tailed appendage.  I'm still not sure what I'm seeing here.  

It caught my attention also. This reference that I came across, should answer all of your questions(I hope).

Photos of Dead Leaf Spider (Poltys idae) · iNaturalist

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bill W said:

Thanks, that clarifies a lot. 

Just so you know, if I know what it is(the spider) I will always, tell you in that post. If I don't know and/or get a question about it, I will keep looking for an answer and post it when(or if) I find it. Thanks for the continued interest.

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill W said:

So that's an ant mimicking a spider?  Well, they say mimicry is the highest form of flattery.  

Further proof, that I sometimes(unintentionally) mislead with my posts:facepalm:.

Instead of just copying what I read, I should of stated clearly what exactly it was a photograph of, my bad.

The spider Aphanlochilus rogersi is a very striking mimic of C. pusillus(an ant).

Although Gliding Ants seem to be very well defended the spider Aphanlochilus rogersi is a very striking mimic of C. pusillus, but not for the purposes of protection. It is an infiltration tactic. A spider will sit on the edge of a foraging trail of its model, seemingly undetected by the ants. When one worker strays too far off the beaten track, the spider strikes and runs with its prey before the large and dangerous foraging force has time to react. These spiders are remarkably abundant but very fast.

Ant mimicry is mimicry of ants by other organisms. Ants are abundant all over the world, and insect predators that rely on vision to identify their prey such as birds and wasps normally avoid them, either because they are unpalatable, or aggressive. Thus some other arthropods mimic ants to escape predation (protective mimicry). Conversely, some species (e.g. Zodariidae spiders) use their anatomical and behavioral ant mimicry to hunt ants (aggressive mimicry). Other cases are also known. The term myrmecomorphy is also used to describe ant mimicry.
80% of spiders with Batesian mimicry imitate ants, comprising more than 100 species.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.57572c42f676184a2b7c5e61b622499f.jpeg

The ladybird spider

Dorset Britain's most elusive spider. Numbers slumped to 56 spiders in 1994. Following habitat management and captive breeding the most recent web count found 1,000 spiders.

How colorful, and the first thing I checked was to make sure the red wasn't in the shape of an hourglass.  Always on the lookout for those Black Widows.  

• Like 2