Winamp closing, what are the alternatives?

hh5

before musicMatch closed down, now WinAmp

some people don't like iTunes as an alternative

so whats a good alternative?

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.

Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.

Yeah, Winamp was a contstant for years on my computers - until they had some security issues back in... 2006, I think.

If you just need a good media player you might like AIMP, which is pretty much a Russian Winamp clone that happens to take up much less resources than the original. It's perfect for my simple needs and offers some cool options I still need to look into.

Still, it's sad to see one of the first programs I ever downloaded disappear and follow Lycos and AltaVista to the digital Orcus.

Isn't it strange? When my Mum thinks back to her youth, she thinks of the last steam engine trains and Vietnam War protests while I think of Winamp and the original GameBoy. I guess even nostalgia ain't what it used to be :P

• 4 weeks later...
Winamp lovers beg AOL to open source code
Petition to save Winamp or its source code initiated by software developers.
keep-winamp-alive.jpg
In Winamp’s final hours, a rumor of a buyer arises
AOL tried to sell the fallen Winamp for months, without success.
Winamp may not have both feet in the grave after all. According to a report from TechCrunch, AOL is near to finalizing a deal to sell it and Shoutcast to an unnamed buyer. The news came out Thursday, one day before Winamp was set to shut down for good.

Edited by hh5

• 2 months later...
29th January 2014, 12:51   #1
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Winamp News
As you all surely know by now, Winamp & SHOUTcast have recently changed ownership.

The winamp.com website is currently undergoing heavy work and an almost-completely new redesign.
As a result, many features will be unavailable, including some in-client services.

The Winamp downloads and Winamp Pro purchases will also be temporarily unavailable
whilst code licensed to/by the previous owner is removed/replaced.

We hope to have everything restored and back in working order as soon as possible,
and we apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Watch this thread for any further updates.

• 2 weeks later...