KIDS REACT TO ROTARY PHONES

AquariusGuy

B) ............... I remember when our phone was a party line, meaning you could pick up the phone and hear someone else using it. You'd hang up and wait for them to finish before you could make a call. Also our phone number (all of them in town) started with Dudley then are few digit numbers, I'm not real sure, but I think you called 0 for the operator for an emergency. :blushing: G-D, talk about showing your age!!

I remember party lines, too. When I first recall using a phone, we only had to dial the last 4 digits of a number for local calls. Then it went to the last 5, and finally all 7 digits. As more phones and phone numbers were added to the mix you needed to dial more of the number so the system knew where to route the call to. At least I think that was the reason. And you're right, Benji. You dialed 0 for the operator when you had an emergency.

Edited by mickey1952

• Site Administrator

All the kids must have had a Fisher Price toy rotary phone. I know they started making touch tone ones, but it seems like the rotary ones are still around.

All the kids must have had a Fisher Price toy rotary phone. I know they started making touch tone ones, but it seems like the rotary ones are still around.

That is true they are now but much of the Fisher Price stuff went away and is now starting to make a big come back. I know I had one when I was younger.

Toys-R-US had them in the vintage toy section a few years ago.