Sometimes, I get really motivated to do something, to create, write, take pictures, etc. but I only really get this kind of inspiration when I'm busy, or there's almost no way of doing said thing at said time. Whenever I'm free, I get consumed into a cycle of internet surfing and phone usage, never feeling inspired. Is this the technology? Is it a common phenomenon?

What do y'all think?

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Writing takes dedication. If you really want to do it, and you can't tear yourself away from technology, you're going to have issues. Quite often I have to go offline, turn off skype, put in headphones and ignore my family all day to get work done. It's hard nowadays, but it can be done!!

I think it's human nature to be excited by the idea of possibilities. Bringing them to life is something altogether different.

Whether it's taking an amazing photo, or crafting a poem, or cultivating a new rose--it's always more demanding than it seems, and you have to take a lot of photos and write a lot of poems and grow a lot of roses and you have to be able to accept that a lot of it will be awful, and some of it will be okay, and only once in awhile until you're really practiced and really good will anything ever seem like it reaches the idea of the possibility we imagined and suddenly all that awareness rushes in when we think about picking up the camera, or finding a pencil, or going out to the garden and suddenly we're overcome and out of breath before we've done anything at all and can't imagine how anyone else does it and we decide tomorrow would be a better day anyway and the next thing ya know you've spent the whole afternoon watching cat videos on youtube. And I think that's all human nature too.

Everything's a daydream until we pick up the camera, or the pencil, or go outside and smell the rose.

Edited by PBax
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Try creating a micro goal for yourself. Don't expect to sit down and write 30-90 minutes at a wack if that isn't your normal rate or you're just starting out. Try a paragraph. Outline a chapter you want to write. Sometimes, when you put less pressure on yourself, it's a lot easier to get sucked into writing and stick with it longer.

• Like 1

It is the difference between having ideas and then having the patience, the dedication (as Cia said), and the willingness to make them happen. 

Stephen King says that "Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is  lot of hard work."

And he's right. Lots of people have the ideas to write, less are willing to put in the time and effort. And yes, you will need to sacrifice other stuff you want, other things you do and the time you spend on them if you want to do it, and then do it well. 

• Like 1

The thinking-part is the fun of it. The writing is the sucky work.

If anyone ever thinks of a machine that manages to transcribe ideas into words, he/she is rich, and we're out of work.

I usually pick "Write" as a daily goal. As soon as I decide on more than that, like how many words I want to write, I'm stuck and start to browse youtube. It's over when you get to youtube. Or Google picture search. Over. OVER.

... cat gifs! <3

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes, I get really motivated to do something, to create, write, take pictures, etc. but I only really get this kind of inspiration when I'm busy, or there's almost no way of doing said thing at said time. Whenever I'm free, I get consumed into a cycle of internet surfing and phone usage, never feeling inspired. Is this the technology? Is it a common phenomenon?

What do y'all think?

Tech has played its part I would imagine, but then again for me? Well I have just got less motivated the older I have got. Sometimes I cant be bothered so much I will leave the washing in the tumble dryer for a week. But then again, thats because I can! :D

• 2 weeks later...

"Hard work and perseverance succeed when talent fails to work hard".  That was the motto of one of the rec sports leagues my son played in.

It's not all talent, but also the discipline and willingness to work at anything that leads to success.