Dor 35 is posted.

Dor 35 is read.

Dor 35 is awesome.

Davey is learning the hard way to never let women know you have money. At least he has plenty of time for bank account replenishing still!! The last thing I ever do when I have money is let anyone know i have it! LOL I think papa should have been opening his checkbook more--davey didn't tell his mom he had money!!!!!

And the headaches make a return, but go away as soon as he stops trying to remember things from the past(future).

Dan, let me know when you finish the last chapter--I got lots of crazy ideas but dont want to ruin anything by posting them yet till I know it's done!

Dor 35 is posted.

Dor 35 is read.

Dor 35 is awesome.

I second that!!!!

And, Tim, you are so right about not letting people know you have money! Personally, I keep that sort of information from anyone who happens to be breathing. :nuke:

OK, spoilers below, hence the spoiler blackout (just highlight the area with your mouse to see the text).

Mrs. Mondragon is quite a character!! Literally! VERY true-to-life, but I have to admit, her name makes me chuckle: Mondragon is just too perfect for her!! Good one, Dan!

I liked the partial rapprochement between Davey and his father.

OK, The following is outside of spoiler spaces because it's an exceedingly minor spoiler: Ethan Allen furniture is mentioned, and Davey's Mom works there.

I think this is VERY significant, given Davey's previously stated feelings about Osama Bin Laden, and not being able to take him out too early due to Bin Laden performing a useful function against the Soviets in Afghanistan.

The involvement with Ethan Allen gives Davey one heck of an opening, should he decide to do something about Bin Laden. Ethan Allen, after all, was directed in the early 80's by Farooq Katwari (I probably butchered the spelling), who became CEO in the late 80's (and still is.). His own son was killed while fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan, and was associated with Bin Laden in that era. Farooq has many ties to Kashmiri militants.

Well, that's my prediction regarding the significance of the mention of Ethan Allen!

Mrs. Mondragon is quite a character!! Literally! VERY true-to-life, but I have to admit, her name makes me chuckle: Mondragon is just too perfect for her!! Good one, Dan!

It made me though of Mandragora, Mandrake.

Which is very disturbing since it's supposed to be an aphrodisiac. X_X

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading Do Over and Do Over Redux. I've read many hundreds of science fiction novels, some of them having to do with time travel, but I can't recall any story that was as much fun to read.

Fortunately I never had a teacher like Mrs. Mondragon when I attended elementary school in the 1970's, but if I had I'm sure my parents would've been outraged if I'd been marked down a grade for dotting an "I" incorrectly, so it's difficult to understand why Davey's family was so amused. Also, I wouldn't have gotten a spanking for answering a teacher's question accurately in detail, and I don't "get" why the Principal and Davey's Grandfather considered it to be disrespectful, as if showing respect means pretending to be dumber or less knowledgeable than you are. My parents are far from perfect, but they would've been incredulous at receiving a phone call from my Principal complaining that I answered a question in too much detail. They would've suggested that if the teacher thought my answer was too long winded she could've stopped me at any time.

I'm also curious about Davey's Mom's behavior in chapter 35. She knows that half the money that paid for the house was Davey's, and she gleefully spent thousands more for furniture and clothes. I guess I'm just wondering if she feels entitled to Davey's money, or if she thanked him, or intends to thank him, for his generosity. Also, she promised her mother than she wouldn't tell Davey's father about the money, but 5 minutes later she tells Davey he doesn't need an allowance in front of his father, an odd statement he wouldn't likely forget.

I hope that in Davey's third Do Over he will convince the government to take a more rational approach to the Soviet threat. Waiting until Alexei has actually travelled back into his younger self to eliminate him would be foolish considering that two timelines already ended in nuclear holocaust.

So what's going to happen in the third timeline? Who knows? That's one of the things I love about this story, it's just impossible to guess what's coming next. But I suspect that Davey's father will become a successful politician and will be an important part of Reagan's administration, perhaps even replacing George Bush as Vice President, which would have the added benefit of making George W's future Presidency unlikely. I think Davey will probably make more mistakes in this timeline - he's only human - but they won't be the same mistakes he made before. He'll save his cousin from being molested, and perhaps his Aunt from being paralyzed. He'll become friends with Brian before revealing himself to anyone in the government. He'll somehow prevent his Dad from even considering molesting his daughter - maybe being in politics will be motive enough. Since he's friends with Sean at an early age this time, Sean will grow into a confident, happy, physically fit young man instead of being picked on at school. And hopefully Davey will find a way to keep his parents from freaking out so badly when they find out he's gay.

I couldn't agree less with the person who complained there was too much detail in Do Over. The details give this story depth. If I could change anything about Do Over, it would be more details and longer chapters.

Fortunately I never had a teacher like Mrs. Mondragon when I attended elementary school in the 1970's, but if I had I'm sure my parents would've been outraged if I'd been marked down a grade for dotting an "I" incorrectly, so it's difficult to understand why Davey's family was so amused. Also, I wouldn't have gotten a spanking for answering a teacher's question accurately in detail, and I don't "get" why the Principal and Davey's Grandfather considered it to be disrespectful, as if showing respect means pretending to be dumber or less knowledgeable than you are. My parents are far from perfect, but they would've been incredulous at receiving a phone call from my Principal complaining that I answered a question in too much detail. They would've suggested that if the teacher thought my answer was too long winded she could've stopped me at any time.

Well, he was sleeping in class. He should have apologized for that right away (or at least be ashamed) rather than acting like a smartass. I mean, if I was a teacher, I wouldn't take too kindly a 7 years old sleeping in my class and then sort of proving me how much my lesson could bore him. Mrs. Mandragorn was right to scold him about sleeping in class and he was wrong to talk back and even worse, to make fun of her.

And then, I guess that she took his refusing to change grades as another defiance to her authority and knowledge. She thinks she knows better and considering the circumstances you can't really blame her for that.

If you add that to the fact that she's an old shrew anyway (David said he had always hated her), well, everything makes sense I think.

As for his family, they could be a bit more supportive but I guess that's since he doesn't want to change classes (where he'd be supposed to actually LEARN something) they assume that he brought this upon him somehow and that it's only for a short time so not worth the trouble. His family don't strike me as the most doting one so far.

That's how I see it, anyway.

His Aunt already had her accident. But maybe he could prevent Brian's uncle to get infected. That would be cool because I liked that character. ^^

So I've been thinking.....Since each DO starts with a new "universe" shouldn't DO since Davey bcak from the future (well.....) be DO 3?

What do you guys think? Dan too.

Cheers!

Rad

So I've been thinking.....Since each DO starts with a new "universe" shouldn't DO since Davey bcak from the future (well.....) be DO 3?

What do you guys think? Dan too.

Cheers!

Rad

I thought something similar, back when things started to go bad earlier in DOR. It looked more and more like he would have to go back again, but Dan was saying there would not be a DO3.

Of course, I think there should be a DO3.. and a DO4, and a DO5, etc, etc, etc, so I'm probably biased. :P

It made me though of Mandragora, Mandrake.

Which is very disturbing since it's supposed to be an aphrodisiac. X_X

ROFL! ACK, I'm going to be haunted by that all day... :D

I do not like Davey's mother. I think it's very selfish of her to spend Davey's money like to so freely and let it slip to Davey's father so quickly that there's something he doesn't know about Davey and money and she did it all seemingly without a second thought. Davey may be her son but it doesn't mean she has the right to spend as much money as she did of his. She certainly doesn't know how much money he has or is making yet she's treating it like it's an endless supply. She could have spent all of his winnings and left him without a cent for important things - like College.

Davey is a very giving person and she obviously knows that. Davey seems at time to be too giving a person. The last two Do Overs he gave and he gave to his family and yeah he got his father's love, but how *real* was that? We know David can be a very cruel person to anyone that doesn't fit his beliefs - and Davey being gay certainly doesn't. Was Davey just away to get money and power and recognition? We know Davey's mom didn't think twice about throwing him away last Do Over, all she cared about then was that Davey got them nice furniture and clothes and things and then she threw him out and her relationship with him away when she learned something she didn't like. Sure her family was killed - and callously because Davey was a time traveller - but she had thrown him out before that happened. Will she do it again? She's certainly starting off in that direction, and quicker than the last time; at least, in the way of using Davey and his money to get herself better stuff.

Davey keeps trying to do the admiral thing and salvage/build a strong family for himself, but some things just can't be forced. He's trying to manipulate everyone into doing something that has proven to him on three separate occasions that it just might not be possible. And maybe he accepts that, but he seems to just be throwing this money around so willingly and letting himself being taken advantage of by those people who should never even conceive the thought of doing so.

Davey's Papa for all he's glad about Davey's "tips", seems to be being a better father for Davey than his real one and more caring too. And his Nanny, set in her ways she is, has proven she genuinely cares and will keep on caring for her family even after the do something that goes against her beliefs. She won't let it whatever it is she disapproves of be/happen around her but she wont cut the family member off - or for too long. They both seem like better parents than Davey's who both have proven on different occasions and different timelines that their love isn't unconditional.

And wow, that is long-winded. Oops.

I do not like Davey's mother. I think it's very selfish of her to spend Davey's money like to so freely and let it slip to Davey's father so quickly that there's something he doesn't know about Davey and money and she did it all seemingly without a second thought. Davey may be her son but it doesn't mean she has the right to spend as much money as she did of his. She certainly doesn't know how much money he has or is making yet she's treating it like it's an endless supply. She could have spent all of his winnings and left him without a cent for important things - like College.

I could not agree more!! If it was for necessities, I could understand, but not for frivolous stuff!! That was downright outrageous.

I was however also disappointed in Grandma for telling her about the money. It's something she (Mom) both has no business knowing, and is clearly incompetent to handle.

Go ahead and post...I know what I'm writing for those chapters anyway so it won't make a difference.

Now i'm torn--Do I spiel them out here, Or do I save them for something I might write, But probably wont, And if I ever do, It will be in the distant future.

I gotta think about it more first now.

Well, the rest of DOR has now been written...so the point is almost moot now...

I guess this means that it's an uphill battle to convince you to extend it by a few more chapters? Maybe 50? 0:)

OK, my speculation would be that Davey uses private means to take out the other time travelers, or stop the scientist (I'm not sure if the latter, alone, would work). That way, the secret is his alone, and he keeps it that way. :nuke:

I'm also thinking that chapter 40 is going to be mainly flashbacks, so that you can cover the needed number of years in a short space.

Now, as for the rumored turmoil in Chapter 36 and 37 (I'm waiting for those screams from Florida..) Hmmmmm... I'm thinking that something occurs to make any reunion with Brian appear to be most highly unlikely.

My final prediction: Davey has more and more trouble remembering future events (his headaches) and the story closes with him slowly forgetting everything and becoming a normal kid again.