Rewriting Classic Stories & Other Things

MarcW

ok a cople of things have been rattling around my head over the past few weeks - i've said before that i'm not a writer, so if anyone wants to run with them then go for it ...

first one is rewriting some classic stories with a slightly different slant .. for example...

Romeo & Julian - bring it up to date a bit (OK 1920's ?) ... two young sons (14) of rival Chicago mob families meet up to do battle ... only to find that love is better than War.....

the other one that's been in my bone cage for a lot longer is a SCI-FI story ... Earth is attacked by an alien race - the war has been dragging on for a while and now even the children have been dragged into signing up (both sides not knowing this is happening on the other) ... the alien royal family assigns on of their young princes to the fleet ... what makes them royal is that they are slightly telepathic and have no real experience with emotions  - how they have managed to control their soldiers - only the young prince is a lot stronger than they know - he always has managed to block the others out - doing this not only hides his strength as a telepath but also his attractions - that is until he in a battle crashes his craft on a small moon .. along with the young human ......the way i had the story lined out was they bond for survival - fall for each other - prince understands the emotions that are part of them all ... connects to the other royals ... & opens the flood gates that lead to peace ..

like i said ... if anyone wants to run with either - or any more that i might add to this thread .. go for it :)

• Like 1

Well, the character of my new anthology series are named Romeo and Julian, but that's that. No classic story rewriting, although...I just got an idea for the fall anthology. Thanks. :)

I've had this though too.

My idea was to put some of Joe Conrad's sea stories into a sci fi setting.

I started work on a remake of A Secret Sharer and have notes for the Heart of Darkness.

This is... a little ambitious. I found myself reading and re-reading the originals and commentaries and felt a little like the boy who wanted to fly his kite to the moon.