Omg 8Th Harry Potter Book Just Announced !

Professional theatre critics who have seen Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Dominic Cavendish -theatre critic, The Daily Telegraph
"a magical show with a strong emotional core ... It’s a triumph. ... in all key respects, it grips, it stirs, it delights."

Sarah Hemming - theatre critic, the Financial Times
"thrilling, gripping, dark, wittily acted and visually dazzling ... it succeeds because the team has put transformation right at the heart of the story, both structurally and emotionally. It’s a move that allows the drama to play to drama’s strengths — this is, after all, an art form that depends on an actor transfiguring before your eyes into someone else. And, amid all the epic fantasy, it homes in on the magic we all have at our fingertips: the ability to make a difference to another person."

Mark Shenton - theatre critic, The Stage
"the show delivers on all the hope that eager fans have invested in it ... distinct from both the books and the screen adaptations. By turns playful and gripping, disturbing and detailed, poignant and powerful, it is superb family entertainment. The theatrical wizards who've created this stunningly-realised alternative universe deliver one coup de theatre after another. Particular credit is due to Jamie Harrison, responsible for the astounding illusions and magic that pepper the show. The audience gasps out loud at several effects – but the production is also informed by its humanity and the actors create fully rounded portraits."

someone who hasn't

W_L
"crap"

Zombie, first off this entire thread was to discuss the book, not the play, so your post is a bit off topic. Secondly, his criticism of the book is valid and is far longer and thoughtful than the "crap" you make it out to be.

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 1

Zombie, first off this entire thread was to discuss the book, not the play, so your post is a bit off topic. Secondly, his criticism of the book is valid and is far longer and thoughtful than the "crap" you make it out to be.

not at all - this is a play

to completely trash this play as he has done - there is no question about it - based purely on his cold read of the script is unfair and unwarranted

his mistake was buying a play script and not properly checking the product before he spent his dollars

there were clear warnings on the cover and from JKR herself that this is a play script 

• Site Administrator

There is a book and there is a play. They are two different products and should be evaluated separately. This thread has been about the book.

Taking an analogy, there is a book and a movie called How To Train Your Dragon. The movie is great, but I didn't like the book at all. There is nothing wrong with that. Similarly, there are movies I have liked where the story itself was rubbish, but the visual aspects of the movie overcame the limitations of the plot. I would recommend the movie, but wouldn't recommend buying any publication of the script. That's the situation we have here. Some people are not recommending the published script. That doesn't mean the play isn't worth seeing.

• Like 3

"Snogs" Drew :kiss:

Thank you for your defense from trolling Zombie :D

There is a book and there is a play. They are two different products and should be evaluated separately. This thread has been about the book.

Taking an analogy, there is a book and a movie called How To Train Your Dragon. The movie is great, but I didn't like the book at all. There is nothing wrong with that. Similarly, there are movies I have liked where the story itself was rubbish, but the visual aspects of the movie overcame the limitations of the plot. I would recommend the movie, but wouldn't recommend buying any publication of the script. That's the situation we have here. Some people are not recommending the published script. That doesn't mean the play isn't worth seeing.

I agree with you, Graeme.

A play is a visual and sensory story told through plot, actors, costumes, special effects, and lighting. A written book, even a script, is a plot that must inspire our imagination. A plot that is weak just doesn't work in written format without added tools like stagecraft or actor interpretations.

Zombie, I know you want to drag on this argument, but it becomes old fast to hear the same arguments, let's move on or if you want to troll it out why not write a blog or even better a story. I suggest you try your hand at writing a play or a story, after so many years of trolling on our boards, why not put your talents to constructive uses and do what me and Graeme and others have done? We may debate and we may argue fiercely, but we also enjoy the act of putting down our ideas.